LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does lemon water remove toxins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does lemon water remove toxins
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does lemon water actually remove toxins and where did you get this info from? Did this advice come from your doctor?

I was thinking that since I was pretty far along in my treatment, that I might have a lot of toxins floating around and it would be great if this actually works.

I guess I am a little skeptic. I have done lemon water off and on during my treatment, but have never really known if it works or not.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcaringella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcaringella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that it does actually. Its all over the net including testimonies from doctors and patients on the Livestrong.org site.

Apparently its very beneficial when cleansing the liver. It's high in vitamin C, calcium and potassium. That's why it makes a great natural diuretic. From what I've read, it is best when used in hot water.

So maybe some of these "grandma's remedies" actually hold some validity to them. I'll ask my nutritionist next time we talk and I'll post any new info I get.

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Posts: 141 | From Southern California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was my now famous lyme doctor who told me to eat 4 lemons per day to help with herxing. He said, "Lemons are God's natural cleansers of the body."

And, he said to drink plenty of water.

He wanted me to do these 2 things throughout my lyme treatment.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried and I cannot stand even two drops in my water. I get so acid reflux and sick to my stomach after and dont know why?

I drink green tea instead which I heard if best if you drink it while taking you abx so it is absorbed better..per llmd and then I try to drink it during the day.

I cannot even tolerate Ester --C and that is suppoe to be mild? I wonder if we are allowed to take nexium or something..mabye that would help??

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a couple>

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5569857_benefits-putting-lemon-slices-water.html

http://www.ehow.com/way_5148158_lemon-water-liver-detox.html

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny-- I just started drinking hot water w/ lemon tonight after hearing many people mention the usefulness of doing so!
Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
annier,
the lemon kills also parasites. Start very slowly with one drop and Acerola C might be best tolerable for you.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeshmyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeshmyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love lemon water! I'll warm up a cup of water, squeeze half a lemon in it and sip, sip, sip.
Posts: 256 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nelly my llmd said to put the lemon in hot green tea and you got the whole package of detox

But I cannot handle lemon in my belly for some reason..probably got ulcers at this point. I get severe pain and then acid up and down all day.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love lemon juice. I will try this. TF - 4 a day! Wow!

Apple cider vinegar is good too but I don't like the taste - you put one teaspoon in a glass of water with one teaspoon honey

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. This is all good info. I am going to try and do lemon water more often; as I feel as though I have been killing ketes for so long now and would like to rid my body of all the toxins that are probably left behind.

I heard that the toxins can be left behind for years, and that in itself can make you feel bad.

I haven't done lemon in "hot" water yet. Will have to try that one.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Nef

I bought the apple cider vinegar for some reason..must have read it on here..I guess that was the reason!!! How much vinegar in a glass. I am sure it is nasty..Hope it works the same as lemon..

--------------------

jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soak sliced cucumbers in apple cider vinagar....yum!!
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do this for apple cider vinegar:

One packet of Truvia
One tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar
Six ounces of Water in a wine glass

Tastes delicious! [lick]

But on topic, yes my doctor told me to squeeze one lemon and one lime into water and do this daily. I buy the concentrated juices by the produce. Add some stevia and sparkling water and it tastes just like 7-up or Sprite. A real treat, and healthy!

Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TF, when he said to eat 4 lemons, did he say to include the peel? I have read this here previously.

I can do one in the blender with the peel (plus olive oil, stevia and water...the usual) daily, but don't think I could handle 4, so hoping without peel is not imperative.

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VB, you don't have to eat the peel, just the fruit.

little olive, I suggest you do just as your doctor said--squeeze a lemon and a lime into water and drink daily.

You are buying the concentrated juices. That is not going to work. You need to use a fresh lemon and a fresh lime.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sour and bitter flavors stimulate bile flow from the liver.

This aids digestion of fats, cholesterol and some detoxifying.

IT's not as good a detoxifier as milk thistle and other liver herbs, but can be an assist, that is how I would see it.

Yes the vitamin C content can help, so can the bioflavonoids from the white lining inside the peel of the citrus fruit. It would actually be smart to soak the water for a few hours with the cut-up lemons to get not only the juice, but also the bioflavonoids lodged within the peel.

PS excess bile can cause hyperacidity and gastric reflux. Anyone who has those symptoms triggered by acidic foods or bitter ones, should check into their (possible?) hyperacidic tendencies with their doctor.

[ 04-11-2011, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: chiquita incognita ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SG, is your energy level back to normal too now? What remaining symptoms do you have, if any? Just curious. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc suggested lots of lemon water and lots and lots of water.

today i didn't do this and i have a 100.5 fever now.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately my doctor didn't equip me with the funds to buy 60 pieces of fruit per month, so concentrate it is. [Smile] I get the same results from both, so I can't say there's any remarkable difference though fresh is obviously preferred. Lemon juice also helps keep your body in balance against candida, so it's just good all around!
Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Annier,

You get acid reflux because you're very acidic.

Anytime you alkalize an acidic body you can expect some side effects like acid reflux.

When I first started alkalizing with minerals I had some bad acid reflux. It eventually went away.

Which makes sense too because there's no way lemons could be harming you.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So besides adding lemons to water it is recommended to actually eat it as well? I just tried to take a bite out of the lemon (after drinking my lemon w/ hot water) and yuck!!

I can handle it in my water but don't think I can actually eat lemon. Does it take a while and then eventually you just get used to it?

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Anna, if you squeeze the lemon into the water, that is good enough. You don't have to actually eat it.

Squeeze as much juice out of it as you can, and then you can just throw the lemon pieces into the water also.

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Seek, here is how I describe my progress, energy wise.....

Use to I could do one thing, example.....walk leisurely on my treadmill, then I would be laid up for a week or two or three. Now I can be busy for several days, and I'm laid up for a day or two. It has been a gradual progression to more and more good days. I still don't have the energy I had before lyme, but I am getting there.

When I think of where I started from, I feel like its a miracle.

Now I just want to get rid of some toxins that I am sure are floating around inside me. I was hoping something simple like lemon water would help.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement