LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » water filtration questions/advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: water filtration questions/advice
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What home water filtration systems do you use (thinking for the kitchen sink)?

Do you need a plumber to install?

What is the initial cost typically?

Maintenance costs?

Starting to research installing a water filtration system. My heavy metal testing indicated I was high in mercury and lead. Parasite testing also indicated an imbalance and bacteria.

I pretty much only drink tap water (before abx used to have wine/alcohol but gave them up day 1 of treatment). I am looking at getting my amalgams removed (have an initial appt this coming week). Before I get involved w/ detox programs I want to make sure my water is as safe as it be.

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two types. A home water filtration system that filters all the water in your home and needs to be installed by a plumber and then there is one for your kitchen sink only that is easy to install on your own. There are about the counter types, easiest to install, and under the counter types.

The best kind and the most expensive is a reverse osmosis filter. Then there are less expensive ones that filter out metals, parasites, chemicals etc., but don't filter out as many things as the reverse osmosis filters but are still very effective.

If you use a use a reverse osmosis filter you need to replace your minerals by way of supplementation, as the system removes them too. That's a very important thing to know.

Bestfilters.com is a good place to look. I purchased this one and have been happy with it:

http://www.bestfilters.com/countertop-water-filters/multi-pure-countertop-water-filter-system-cbvocsc/Page_1/cbvocsc.html

If you look at the PDF for the "complete lab test and California certification" for the above filter it will show all the things the filter removes from the water.

There is a big range in prices depending on the type and quality of the one you choose. You can get an idea from the website.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Abxnomore! So it looks like you got on the counter one?

How long have you had it?

Have you had any testing of heavy metals since having it installed? Just curious!

Thank you!!!

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We purchased a reverse osmosis system a few months from Sears. I think we paid about $200 for it.

It has been well worth the money. My husband installed it. It was a little bit of a pain, but he did it!!

We also have a filtration system under our house that filters all the other water. We bought a more expensive filter so it would work better.

I was surprised at how cheap we did it all. I thought that we would have to come up with at least $1000 but the whole set up was around $400.

Well worth it in the end.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had mine since 2004 and am very happy with it. I have had many heavy metal test done during the course of at least 15 years. It's a long process to get rid of them and I had them before I purchased the water filter.

Prior to purchasing the one I have now, in a different location I had a very expensive reverse osmosis system with a UV light. It's the only kind that filters out fluoride.

To me having a filtration system is essential but doing chelation to get rid of the metals and removing any mercury amalgams is an essential part of heavy metal removal along with the essential supplementation.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything you need to know is right here!! [Big Grin]

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/101308#000000

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really very impressed with the performance data sheet of the Multipure water systems. We have one and the water tastes clear, no metallic taste as comes with silver bacteriostatic filters, and again the long list of chemicals, bacteria, etc they remove from the water is absolutely impressive.

See performance data sheet, pricing here www.multipure.com

(I do not work for them and have no special interests).

Best, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a little different approach. There are really many options, makes it mind-boggling trying to do "the right one".

We have a Showerwise filter for the showers. The cartridges should last about a year but for us they needing changing every 6 months.

Then we have a Katadyn water filter. It stands about 2.5 feet high and about 1 foot in diameter. Top half we pour water in it and bottom half stores the water, about 4 gallons I think. Katadyn has a few filter options, we use the Gravidyn, which uses no electricity, just works on gravity, it is a ceramic filter intended to get the metals and chemicals and chlorine/fluorine but leave most of the "regular" minerals.

We're pretty happy with the approach, but it's not perfect. Water that goes in our mouth from toothbrushing, for example, is straight from the sink so it is unfiltered. And the Katadyn filter needs to get filled with water on the top to keep having water to filter. We actually have 10 empty glass gallon jugs that had apple juice in it, to store the made water--it's nice to be able to have just a few gallons, to store it up, but it does require counter space.

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Multipure and I like it. I do not do reverse osmosis and have very little doubt that RO is not good for you. It will drain you of minerals unless you add them to your water. Nenah Sylver discusses this in "Rife Handbook." She spent a lot of time researching this issue.
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Thank you! I am thinking about the New Wave Enviro Premium 10 Stage Water Filter System that was mentioned on the link Lymetoo posted on a previous thread.

I can't invest a ton of money on a system w/ everything else I am doing.

Anyone else have this system (can order it from Amazon)?

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I researched heavily before I got my RO for my kitchen and I bought this one:

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/ro-45-detail.htm

They were awesome to work with and I had my plumber install it. My plumber liked it so much he installed one in his own house.

You get free filters for next year and I also got a free shower filter for my bathroom.

It's been almost a year now and we've really enjoyed the water.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing unhealthy about drinking reverse osmossis water. It does take out the good with the bad but we all should be taking "Trace Minerals" anyway...........
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Agree with Mojo and I already mentioned it in the above post that one needs to replace minerals.

It's the best way to filter water. It's not a big deal to take a mineral supplement and most of us should be taking one anyway due to the mineral and nutrient depleted soil our food is grown on.

It is not true that it is unhealthy. It's the best water purification method there is.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement