LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Congenital Lyme In Children- Do you immunize?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Congenital Lyme In Children- Do you immunize?
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister has a newly diagnosed 5 year old with congenital Lyme. IgeneX positive both IgG and IgM. Treatment is still undecided.

Do you immunize if treatment is started?

Do you immunize if treatment is delayed until more symptoms?

Is there damage to the developing brain if you wait to treat?

This situation is so hard. With me, my teenage boys we knew they had to be treated. One so so sick and one going to college in the fall.

Thanks everyone for their input!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter(11) is due for Booster shots that are mandatory for New York State Schools.

Since she's under abx for lyme, our llmd gave notice to the school that she is NOT to have any vaccinations at this time.

I agree! I would hold off any booster/vaccination until lyme treatment is finished and NO symptoms for a period of time.

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four ( top) LLMDs told us not to vaccinate our dd as well. I believe partially because Lymies have compromised immune systems and cannot fight off any additional pathogens or toxins. Makes sense.
Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a doctor, but I think the risk of a 5 year old is small.

If it was a baby, that was one thing.

I think vaccinations are needed...but they should be spaced out, given individually, and only given if the child is feeling healthy.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck no!
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! You are very kind to post. My sister is probably reading this today.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the possibility that it could bring on illness is just too much of a risk.

I know that my daughter got much sicker after a round of injections. A really good friend of mine whose child was just diagnosed got much sicker after injections also.

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, don't vaccinate while he's sick. If it's absolutely necessary, space out the vaccinates as much as possible.

But please, once he's recovered for a year or two, catch him up on the missed immunizations.

Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO WAY. My boys became much sicker than my daughter and they got most of their immunizations. I didn't realize that they had lyme at the time. They have the hyperactivity/sensory/brain issues which my daughter never had.

With my daughter (my youngest) I stopped after giving her the measles part of the MMR and saw her lose her coordination for a day. It was horrible to see this obvious reaction.

I have not give a vaccination since. The more that I read, the more convinced I am that they are too much for a Lyme-weakened immune system. There are many posts here about people who had huge declines after tetanus boosters, etc.

tickbattler

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 6 month old baby is due for another shot since reading this i became worried, my wife has lyme when she gave birth and was not treated. But we still do not see any lyme symptoms with the baby should we take the next shot?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site may be helpful:
http://www.vaccines.com/why-vaccinate.cfm

I personally believe that vaccines are helpful and protective.

If you suspect your child might have Lyme you might consider starting treatment before vaccinating or at least consult with an LLMD. It seems like some Lyme patients here do not do well with vaccines, their immune systems are already overwhelmed/overburdened with the infection.

I've had several vaccines including Tdap, flu, Hib, and pneumonia. Thankfully none caused any worsening of my Lyme symptoms.

Kramberry, take the time to make an informed decision. If you have any concerns, talk with your doctor. Most would be glad to help.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a girl here, Tricia, whose lyme became active after she had a gardisil vaccine.

Dr. K has said that most autistic kids have Lyme. There have been many connections made between vaccines and autism. It makes me wonder if there's a connection there. I wonder if the babies have congenital Lyme but aren't symptomatic. Then they get a vaccine and bamm! autism. It's just my thoughts. I'm not a dr. But I sure wouldn't take a chance.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kramberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But will i also be risking my childs immunity by not getting shots to prevent the specific disease prevented by the shots?

--------------------
 -

Posts: 215 | From California | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did selective vaccination against the biggest threats under the direction of our LLMD. Since his immune system is compromised, there was also a greater risk of disease without the shots.

In California, Whooping cough was making a comeback and killed 10 infants. So, that was one that we did get for him. No polio, no hep b, no hep a, no chickenpox and partial pnuemunicocal.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could go back in time, I would NEVER have vaccinated my baby. I did all vaccinations, her immune system got so bad that until today, we are fighting consequences.

She got so many allergies, that made our life a hell. It is more than clear that asthma and eczema are stronger and worse for vaccinated kids than unvaccinated kids. Most unvaccinated kids never develop such diseases.

Everytime she catches any disease (like chicken pox, colds), she will develop autoimmunity reactions. And the inflammation will go forever, much longer than for healthy kids.

No way giving vaccines HELPED the immune system, in her case. It made her immune system a mess, weak.

If you don't vaccinate, you WILL risk your child for certain diseases, for sure. But it is a sort of balance. Do kids really need to be vaccinated with things like mumps /measles/ rubella at baby age?? Or Hep B?

Vaccines do sacrifice some (or many) kids to the 'greater' good.

I guess selective vaccination, and DELAYED vaccination, as much as possible, would be some of my choices, had I not vaccinated her before.

Now I'm afraid of vaccines and will never give her any booster anymore. She will decide on her own later, after she is an adult.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

quote:
Originally posted by Brussels:

If you don't vaccinate, you WILL risk your child for certain diseases, for sure.

I just have to disagree with this. If you start looking at vaccine/disease rates over the decades, you will find that vaccines do not lower your risk for disease. Time and again, disease rates have dropped BEFORE the vaccine is introduced. The U.S. is LAST among industrialized nations for infant mortality, so clearly, what we are doing in obstetrics and pediatrics is not working.
Kramberry
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 34032

So bottom line vaccines are only money making strategies?

--------------------
 -

jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

If you ask me, yes. If you want details, links, etc, let me know. I can provide them - tomorrow. It's late. I'm heading to bed.
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I can offer much advice here. I only will tell you my experience.

My daughters both were vacinated as everyone else is. I didn't know better at the time. Not sure what I would have done if I had.

Neither has had any violent reaction to any of the shots. Of course their immune systems are stronger than mine.

My llmd never told me not to vaccinate, only in the case of the flu shot. Definately NOT he said. I can vouche for that one, as I was forced by my employer on one occasion to get a flu shot and I immediatly got very sick. I soiled myself trying to get to the restroom which was across the hall from my office and had to go home. I was sick for several days. I've had no flu shots since. I don't give her flu shots (youngest dd at 11 yo) either.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a doctor.

When a person has an illness, like a cold for example, it is not the time to immunize. With Lyme disease and Co, the immune system is compromised.

Immunizing can cause further complications for the immune system.

For example, even though I'm an adult, and many adults are very conscientious about getting flu vaccine, my doctor does not recommend it for me, as a lyme patient.

An alternative might be homeopathics. There are homeopathic flu remedies that can be taken seasonally to prevent getting the flu. Maybe there are homeopathics available to prevent some of the illnesses that children are usually vaccinated for.

a possible website is www.elixirs.com Homeopathy for Health
You can contact the owner and ask about childhood immunizations alternatives, if available.

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of you seen children suffering and dying from vaccine preventable illnesses? I've personally seen this with measles. So sad! So scary. Many families in that community lost children to the disease. And to think a shot might have saved their lives.

Many of us are lucky not to remember the horrors of diphtheria, polio, tetanus, measles, etc. With vaccines, these deadly infections are just a distant memory of our great grandparents.

Here is some info from the World Health Organization on the status of Polio. You can search there for other vaccine preventable diseases. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs114/en/index.html

Remember, these infections are just a plane ride away from the comfort of our american homes.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement