LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone on Plaquenil - question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone on Plaquenil - question
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am afraid to start Plaquenil. Can't find much info except that it is for Malaria and Lupus.

Any experiences with Plaquenil would be so helpful.

Thank you!

Beagle

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly helps with cysts. It's also a slight immune suppressant. It makes the macrolides more effective. That is why it's often paired with Biaxin.

--and yes, should help with babesia

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme918
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme918     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what information you're looking for, but I was on it for about a year (along with Biaxin).

I had absolutely no problems with it. I was very nervous about taking it, but on the year I was on it I had no issues with it. The only thing I had to worry about while on it was getting my eyes checked about every six months.

If there was something specific you wanted to know, I can answer that instead!

--------------------
Lyme918

Posts: 188 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH no - if it is a slight immune suppressant, isn't that a very bad thing for Lyme and co's?

Is Zithromax a macrolide? I've never had Biaxin.

I'm switching from Omnicef & Zithro to Plaquenil and Zithro. Pretty sure I don't have Babs, but have Bart and Lyme. Have you all taken it for Lyme or more for Babs?

thks again

Posts: 348 | From MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

sorry, just realized Zithromax is a macrolide.
so the pairing makes sense. And that it is indeed a slight immune suppressant. That is scary.

Has anyone had any bad effects taking Plaquenil from it being an immune suppressant?

Most of my fear is in the 6 month old total knee replacement which needs to be done over again due to either infection of the hardware or a break or whatever...I've been avoiding the knee/leg issue for now due to the TBI's.

Beagle

Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

Hate to be a pest about this drug, but trying to bump it up to try to get other's experience who have been on Placquenil, generic name is Hydroxychloroquine. If any knows how a drug that has immune suppressent qualities can be any good for Lyme? I've heard of it being used, but still afraid to take it without knowing how it could work if it is know to slightly suppress immune system. Anyone else on it or have been on it with no ill effects - better yet, any good effects? Again, hate to be a pest, but I live alone and have to be able to funtion at least a little bit. (no family to help with drug store trips, etc.)

thanks

Beagle

erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive never heard of it being a suppressant. if it were no lyme dr. in his right mind would perscribe it.

ive been on it for 8 months, no problems.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Mall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Mall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquinil is a mild cyst buster

and it helps the other drugs get at the lyme

it is also prescribed for rhuematoid arthritis so it may help your knee...

many top LLMD's use Plaquinil in combination with other meds to hit lyme

I was on it for 5 months with no problems

Paul

Posts: 925 | From Connecticut | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beagle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29698

erikjh - I agree 100% why would it be prescribed for Lyme if it is immune suppressent. But I've researched as much as I could since last nite and it seems that it is a mild immune suppressant. Although it is often used for Lyme. something about helping with over active T2 cells? Which I do not understand, as I know nothing about these
T1 and T2 cells.

Thanks all for your input. I feel better about starting Placquenil.

Beagle

Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Plaquenil for about a year. I have not had any problems with the plaquenil. I do know I was told to see an eye dr every 6 months because Plaquenil can affect your eyes.

Good luck!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wouldn't worry about the immune supressant part

many llmds have used it for a long time

it was the vision issues that scared me

but it sounds like many don't have problems with it

what does your ortho say about the knee tho? do you know for sure it is infected? what infection? i don't understand why this is on hold if it can be fixed

what ever they give you for it will probably kill some tick borne bugs

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on it for 9 years for supposed lupus which was Lyme. It has made me be able to work full time and cleared up a lot of my symptoms. I'm still on it while on Lyme treatment.
I can only take the brand form as the generic gives me a rash.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken plaquenil for many months at a time on and off over the past few years along with Zithromax. It has worked well to decrease my Lyme symptoms. The only side effect I have had is that it affects my ability to accomodate my vision, i.e. I can't forcus as well or quickly when first starting to read. This side effect resolves 100% when I go off Plaquenil.

I have had the eye exams done and I have had no new lesions in my retina from the plaquenil. (I have some so called drusen on the retina but I had them before taking Plaquenil).

I would not worry about taking it.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have stomach issues on plaq? Amazingly, I have been fine on abx for 5 months...but the day I started plaq, very bad runs, also a little dizzy, this has been the two days since i started ...And very very achy. Could a herx happen that fast?

Anyone have hair bleaching? Hate to sound so vain...but hair is one of the only things I have going right now.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement