LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Genetically susceptible to lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genetically susceptible to lyme
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently had bloodwork done through Labcorp. I don't have the results in front of me. But my doctor told me that the results indicated I was genetically susceptible to chronic Lyme and mold.

Does this mean I don't detox well? Actually I have no idea what this means.

Anyone??

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5vforest
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5vforest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genetically susceptible? Sounds real odd... real, real odd. Get a copy of the lab report and let us know what it says.
Posts: 340 | From san francisco, ca | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think its the same thing as...... some ppl are more likely to get cancer than others, or some ppl are more likely to get heart disease than others, or diabetes, etc.

For example I know ppl that are bitten by ticks a lot and have never gotten LD. Some of us are just more prone to or genectically susceptible to getting it.

Not sure how they can tell that through labwork though.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
suthern

I was told the same by my llmd. My hubby was bitten over 100 times as a hunter in the same area of Dutchess county as I was. He, and all his friends and their tick bites never had an issue with lyme.

I was bitten twice on a ridign lawn mower (not even in the woods like they were) and I have chronic lyme that is taking my life away fast.
The llmd said some have lower immune systems and get lyme while others bodies can fight it off on their own.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good idea to get CC'd on all blood work. Please let us know what test he is referring to when you find out...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the HLA DRB DQB tests done. I'm looking at the results and I have no idea what they mean or how I would type them in here. Anyone have these tests done?
Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a real test used by top LLMD's. Dr. J in CT tested my children.

I don't know the details about it but I think I recall the problematic ones are HLA-DR-4 and HLA DR-2. My family has these numbers and many do who have chronic lyme. I believe it means you don't detox certain things well (lyme bacteria and mold, but I have not researched this thoroughly enough to tell you more than that.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

I had the HLA DRB DQB tests done. I'm looking at the results and I have no idea what they mean or how I would type them in here. Anyone have these tests done?
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you have it done through LabCorp?

You should have results in these (some may be blank, that's correct.)

DRB1 ----
DRB1 ----
HLA DQ ----
HLA DQ ----
DRB3 ----
DRB3 ----
DRB4 ----
DRB4 ----
DRB5 ----
DRB5 ----

Either post the results here or PM me. I will use the "rosetta stone" in Surviving to decode it for you.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this very interesting as well. My brother has had many tick bites and has had the bulls eye rash and has never developed symptoms.

Although I was diagnosed in Dec 2010 I was pretty much symptom free by the time of my diagnosis. I went on meds and have been on them for over 3 months, but often wonder if I would have been OK w/out treatment or if it would have come up at some other point in life.

I think that the treatment has messed w/ my overall functioning (i.e. esp candida overgrowth) but besides fatigue from time to time I don't have a lot of other symptoms. So interesting!

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had this too and my doc messed it up as the genes she said i have do not exist. I had to email a few people to help me with it... I will post mine here too if anyone else has a interpretation....

DRB1*01:01

DRB1*03:JRFR

DQB1*02:SS

DQB1*05:DFT

DRB3*02:FVGA

DRB3*-

DRB4*-
DRB4*-
DRB5*-
DRB5*-

confusing!

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DRB1*01:01 = LOW MSH (B1: 1)
DRB1*03:JRFR = MOLD (B1: 17)

DQB1*02:SS = MOLD (DQ: 2)
DQB1*05:DFT = LOW MSH (DQ: 5)

DRB3*02:FVGA (B3: 52B) MULTI-SUSCEPTIBLE, MULTIPLR ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT STAPH EPIDERMIDIS(MARCoNS), LOW-RISK MOLD

I believe your HLA DR Haplotypes are:
1-5
17-2-52B

This is only my second one I have decoded... so, please if anyone disagrees or has anything to add... I would love to have a discussion or be corrected!

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewarrior11
Member # 31367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is so interesting. i've always wondered about this...as like others here mentioned, so many people in my area, playing in the woods, etc, never got lymed...or if they did...no big deal. me on the other hand have had it since 94.
yes, been treated by LLMDs for several yrs...still symptomatic.
chronic lyme forever........
holding on, managing symptoms

Posts: 11 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister is chronic in constant neuropathy after 1200 vials of zithro, rocephin, claforin...orals, I was on iv 6 years on and off, my son was or orals for 3 years, my other sister swears her "fibromyalgia" is acting up and knows her body and knows when its lyme or fibromyalgia. My neices has had it...Genetics???? Something in my family can't rid it or my other sister justs asks for it to be dormant for pain to subside. Cant help but wonder if its from all the iv that caused the neuropathy. Genetics in my fam. Sherwood Island weekly family picnics, Catskills house when we were kids, recent married pulling weeds and mowing lawns, God knows how many times when we didn't know about lyme we had ticks embedded.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewarrior11
Member # 31367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me too, since 03. and the family who doesn't have it doesn't understand. it's a lonely road.
Posts: 11 | From NYC | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with the tests you mention. I'll have to read up on them. Sounds important.

However, my new, wholistic PCP tested my for the MTHFR genetic mutation, and I tested positive for one aspect of the mutation. This mutation messes up the methylation cycle, which, for one thing, causes a decrease in the production of glutathione.

Glutathione is important for keeping the immune system functioning properly. If we don't have enough glutathione we can become more succeptable (sp?) to lyme and other diseases.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Best wishes.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

My LLMD just reviewed my results and said I have the "dreaded genotypes" 4-3-53. My HLA DRB DQB tests were done at LapCorp.

I still can't wrap my heard around this but I remember her saying that people w/ this genotype has a harder time fighting Lyme.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement