LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pain relief question....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pain relief question....
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to ask if anyone else has had success with medical marijuana? I have used it in the past for extreme pain and it at least brought the pain down to a level that I could function. Having said that, it was not for lyme but for busted ankles. The pain I am having now is in my wrists, hands, shoulders and from time to time my upper neck. I also get shooting pain from elbow to finger tips through out my day. Cannot take naproxin for a funky side effect that left me lying on the floor short of breath wondering what just happened. No memory of falling or anything. Just upright one moment then on floor the next. Am taking Neurotin 100 mg and the neurologist wants to up that to 400 mg in 60 days. Help?
Posts: 98 | From Maytown PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've never tried medical marijuana, i know i get paranoid from non-medical marijuana. haven't smoked in years though. Just wasn't a fan.

for pain i take vicoprofen only in emergencies. i dont take it for my every day discomfort otherwise i'd be taking it non stop which is never good.

i have no experience with Neurotin, just saw you got zero replies thought i'd bump this up to the top for ya. I wish you luck in finding something that helps the pain.

J

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twisted Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! Not sure I want to got that route, just getting desperate for pain medicine that works. Tylenol does nothing, the 500 mg naproxin did nothing I could tell and am afraid to take that again with the neurotin. Have not been back to the pain management center yet, mayhaps my doc with send me there again. No idea thought...
Posts: 98 | From Maytown PA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Babbs
Member # 27887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Babbs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neurontin is usually taken 3 times a day, with a gradual incline to get you to the dose you need to help with the Pain.

I am now on Lyrica and that has been the only thing that has helped my neuro pain-just tried to wean off it to see if I still had that same pain (as I have been treating the Lyme and co's) but oh no, cant go off it-had a miserable three weeks getting my blood levels stable again.

However, If I take it faithfully I have breety good relief (not all for sure) but I can function and supplement with narcs and Ibup. and MM which helps my pain anxiety greatly

Posts: 31 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Just going by what the neurologist said lol. 1 twice a day for ten days, then 2 twice a day for ten days then 3 for the remainder ten days. Then it gets bumped up to 400 mg ! pill twice a day for 30 days. So far it is of no help with either the pain or tremor but giving it a go as I have no better option.
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes, the opiates really do help. I know there are stigmas involved but chronic pain is really devistating over time. In cases of chronic pain, people do not get addicted. There are studies that prove this. It's an individual decision...

In the state where I live, it's very difficult to get appropriate pain management. If you read the scientific studies about opiates & pain - you will see that they are quite beneficial. It's unfortunate tht people do abuse them & it makes it hard for the people who would benefit from them.

Hot baths & excedrin also help me.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Hmmm, will have to try that Carol. Been thinking along the natural lines anywho as my wife is Wiccan and does some amazing things with natural herbs and oils. She been hella busy unfortunetly as I have been out of work but will discuss this further with her. Thank you for a good idea! Seeing my PCP on monday so we'll see....
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're thinking of going the natural route, try also the New Chapter Organics formula called ZYflamend, I saw a lot of people respond very well to it when I worked in healthfood stores.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

I am open to anything that will help with this. Cannot drink though I have a fair amount of home made beer from a friend [Frown] Basically feels as if a pair of handcuff are slowly being crushed into my wrists. Oye what a feeling...

Again, you all are so wonderful and supportive. I am soo very, very happy I found this site. It really makes all the difference to know there are others going through what I am and understand. I feel sometimes as if I just get empty platitudes from friends and family about this. I know they are trying to be supportive but I really don't believe they have clue how I feel.

average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried neurontin or as I call it neu-rotten. It did help with some of the nerve pain but did not do anything for joints and muscles.

It seems as though it helps tremendously or has very little effect for people. Doesn't seem to be many in the middle.

I was on 400mg/day and made my head feel really strange so I had to stop taking it. Believe it or not there are folks out there on 3000mg/day! and swear by it.

I also tried Cymbalta and within hours of taking it I started seeing flashing lights ect that were not really there. Had to stop taking this as well obviously.

I refuse to take lyrica due to potential side effects and ultra dependency. I have read that trying to get off that stuff when the time comes is horrible. Some compare it to withdrawal from heroin.

Now I am not saying that others should not take either of the above. Many have gotten much needed relief from them and do not have the issues mentioned.

I also have terrible pain in joints, tendons and bones. Obviously some days are worse than others.

My LLMD recommended going to a pain clinic (Many Lyme docs do not like to handle this end of the disease because they are already under such scrutiny).

I talked to my PCP about it and was told that the pain clinics will either pump you so full of narcs you won't know which way is up or they will shoot you full of steroids which even he knows is not good for lyme patients. I'm sure not all pain clinics do this but it seems to be the norm in this area.

Fortunately my PCP is open minded about the whole thing and offered to handle the pain management himself.

What I ended up with was indeed narcotics (MS-Contin extended release). Some might have reservations about this but we found a dosage that would take the edge off so I could at least function without making me walk around stoned.

Due to the slow release nature you get a sustained level over an extended time period instead of the quick ramp up and downslide with most narcotics.

Now make no mistake it does not eliminate the pain if that's even possible, but makes it tolerable. I can definately tell when it wears off.

I hope you find what works for you. Believe me I know what you are up against here. I read the posts on here where folks say their issues are mostly neuro and don't have much pain and find myself thinking they are lucky.

Don't freak on me here folks I am not saying you are any less sick or it's in any way easier to deal with if you predominently have neuro issues, I know that's simply not the case. All I am saying is that sometimes I think maybe it would be worth the trade off for me, just so I can go a few days without the pain.

Jon, to understand this they have to have gone through it. Many many good people on here were at some point told it's all in your head or they were being over dramatic. Best thing you can do is come back here frequently and/or go to support groups where others truly know how you are feeling.

I am lucky enough to have some friends that are truly supportive but the family for the most part just doesn't have a clue.

Oh and by the way the beer will only help until you wake up hungover and then you might have some unwanted friends to go with it [dizzy]

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing, You need to be careful with the NSAIDs. The naproxen is one of these. If you are on significant doses of antibiotics your stomache/intestines will have enough trouble coping let alone taking something that will inherently irritate even further.

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
back2game
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for back2game     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please, everyone, do NOT take Lyrica. After 3 years of 400mg daily, I'm down to 100mg and on my way to 0, God help me. I can only imagine how bad heroin detox is. This is almost unbearable.

Ended up in E/R for low BP, nausea, uncontrollable tremors, worst pain and tingling in my hands that I've ever dealt with that led to complete numbness.

Please, please, All, DON'T take Lyrica.

--------------------
CNS Lyme 05/08 - EIA 1.16+, IGG 18+, IGM 23+
01/11-IGM 31 Epitope Positive
01/11-IGM 31+++, 41+, 58++, 83-93+, 23-25IND, 39IND
01/11-IGG 41+
Vasculitis 01/07,MCTD 05/06,Fibro 11/04, Myofascial PS 11/03
Embedded Tick app. 1990

Posts: 136 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opiods have been used for thousands of years. I have a feeling the propaganda about them has to do with newer, more expensive pharmaceuticals being given out rather than something that is inexpensive. They make more money off of the newer drugs.

These newer drugs have really nasty side effects & seem to me to be just as problematic - if not more problematic - than opiods. If you can't just stop taking a given drug - than you are technically addicted. Yet, these anti-depressants, etc. are given out like candy...

I just wonder why this is. I take a very small dose of oxycodone when I'm in alot of pain. It really helps. I only need it when I'm in pain.

I have been dealing with pain for 15 years. At first I would try every natural remedy or alternative approaches. If the pain becomes chronic - pain meds can be very helpful. I would suggest to start off with the smallest possible dose & ramp it up as needed. Even cut the pill in 1/2s or 1/4s & try that - depending on the drug.

I would never take anything I couldn't stop at any given time.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Good advice. I don't like pills as once you take it, you are on the ride until it is over. At least with the "greener" medicine you can stop the ride whenever with some coffee or red bull. You all have given me much to think about.
Thank you all!

darwinsdream
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darwinsdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried marijuana, but not the medical. I didn't like it. It made me more anxious. I don't know if the medical weed is different but I feel our Lyme brain probably can't handle it. I know mine can't. Too bad. I was hoping it would help me too.
Posts: 140 | From Phoenix AZ | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darwinsdream
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darwinsdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh another note on the subject. I do see a pain management doc and told her i tried the marijuana.She told me it would give me more anxiety. Maybe because of the Lyme?
Posts: 140 | From Phoenix AZ | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Some people tend to have different reactions to it. Case in point, I have had a few friends that smoked actually had hallucinations yet other did not. Potency of said stuff made no difference. I myself only experienced anxiety when cops were around lol... other than that I relaxed me. It has been a while so who knows now.
sparkle7
Member # 10397

I'm not big on marijuana but going to Amsterdam was fun. I don't recall that it helped alot with pain. The opiods were more effective for me.

I don't see what the big deal is with legalizing it. It's OK for a big nuke plant to have multiple meltdowns but people can't decide for themselves how they want to treat their pain issues. It's hypocracy or something worse.

Decisions are being made but we have no control over how we want to choose to live. What happened to "life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness"?

Twisted Jon
Member # 31236

Big business took over and the little people (us) lost. Look at what happened with the tobacco companies for proof of that....

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement