LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Got IgeneX results and Dr's office says ALL Negitive?? WHAT??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got IgeneX results and Dr's office says ALL Negitive?? WHAT??
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Mom and I got IgeneX results back. Dr.s office called and said it was Neg. They mailed me the Results and I don't see how I was told NEGATIVE??

Mom's Results:
IGM

18 kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28 kDa +
30 Kda -
***31 Kda -
***34 kDa IND
**41 kDa -
45 kDa -
58 kDa -
66 kDa -
**83-93 kDa -

IGG:All Bands (-)except
**41 kDa IND
58 kDa ++

My Results:

IGM
18 kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28 kDa +
30 kDa +
**31 kDa IND
**34 kDa -
**39 IND
**41 kDa ++

45 kDa -
58 kDA +
66 kDa -
**83-93 kDa IND

IGG"
All NEG except
**39 kDA IND
**41 kDa ++

How is this Neg?? what do these results mean?? Would love some feedback!! [group hug]
Jen

Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have an overall negative test and still have Lyme. I did! Especially if you've had this a long time. You do have several Lyme specific bands, like 58, 30 and 39. Band 39 is VERY Lyme specific.

I think 34 is also lyme specific. Read here to see:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

According to Dr C of the above WB explanation, these bands are significant....

"These bands are 18, 22, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 37, 39, 41, 83, and 93.

This is true regardless of whether it is IgG or IgM.."
----------------------------------

Here is his update written sometime around 2005.

------------

"The significant antibodies, in my opinion, are the 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TY [Smile]
Posts: 501 | From Hudson Ticky Valley, NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not always Lyme... Many other ailments have similar symptoms.

Many people have done aggressive abx therapy & ended up losing their gallbladders, spending $10s of thousands, & had other severe side effects & ended up not any better.

It is possible but it's up to you to give it some thought & research it. You can try "provoking a response" with various herbs to see if you herx. It doesn't mean it's Lyme but it can help to try it to see what happens.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sparkle.. Try a provocation with herbs and try again. Other ailments do have similar symptoms and we can't always assume it's Lyme.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get real.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wha?! i do not understand the responses (except for lymetoo's)
looks positive to me!

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

I know I have Lyme... No Mystery here...had bulls-eye and all!!

Just looking for feedback on results...

philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am being treated and had an overall negative WB as well. The only positive bands I had were 23 IGM and 23 IGG. That was through Quest though. My LLMD saw no need to retest through Igenex as he said he could make the diagnosis without it.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had a bull's eye rash, you definitely have Lyme.

Is your doctor Lyme literate?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

"The significant antibodies, in my opinion, are the 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93."

I agree COMPLETELY!! Thanks Lymetoo [kiss]

Thanks for feedback guys...I know I have it..just wanted labs to back it up. If I did herbs for the symptoms I was having...I'd be dead now!!
just my opinion!

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wish i could find it,
but, there was a discription of what a doctor looks at in their patient...
the nails,the eyes, the gait or walk, their mind thought with word proscessing and so on...
of just seeing a person throughly is the best test...

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think IGeneX is looking for positives for two double-starred bands in each of the tests. If you look at your lists, that doesn't happen.

However, many feel we're positive if even one of the bands showing positive shows up.

Often the sickest don't show positive, not until some treatment starts.

Take a look at www.canlyme.com/seronegreasons.html to understand why.

That's why Lyme doctors treat clinically, by history and symptoms. Many turn positive after being treated some, when their body is strong enough to show some antibodies fighting the infection.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten sensitivity and candida have similar symptoms to lyme. Go on a no gluten, no sugar, no yeast diet and see if that helps.

You'll need to do that anyways if you're properly treated for lyme and co-infections.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. makes sense..thanks.. [Smile]

any other ideas? XMRV anyone?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What symptoms do you have? Ticks don't just carry lyme.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going on a yeast free, gluten free diet may improvement lyme symptoms as that is the best diet for lyme but it can also bring temporary relief of symptoms and in effect calm down Lyme symptoms for a while but won't necessarily rule out lyme. It could act as a band-aid effect for a while.

Best to be tested for candida and gluten sensitivities and celiacs, thou testing for celiacs is often not definitive, to rule that out.

And yes, ticks absolutely carry a entire host of other diseases.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

"And yes, ticks absolutely carry a entire host of other diseases."

Could you pls elaborate -what other diseases?? Is there a list somewhere?

@apljack-I have tons of symmptoms: fatigue, head stuff, fog, pain (everywhere), SOB, so many more...

Wooops sorry Jenn -hijacking your thread. Maybe I'll start one of my own.

Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then start a new one Jess. You will get more direct responses.

You can also PM applejace and use the search tool. Start with babesia, bartonella, erlichia, Cytomegalo, Herpes virus, mycoplasma, mycotoxins, hanta virus....the list goes on and on.

Too much for this post.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Thanks [Smile]
raw vegan runner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raw vegan runner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no pos. test on my record but DAYUM do I ever herx on abx and various herbs. Yes, many symptoms do mimic other diseases...so test for those. If they are negative, then it is Lyme. That is basically how I got my dx. We ruled out EVERYTHING else. Lyme and Co's was all that was left.
Posts: 206 | From In the shadow of a mountain | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme Disease is a "clinical" diagnosis. The positive bands can be used to back up the clinical diagnosis.

Find a good LLMD that knows how to make a clinical diagnosis.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21687

LOL ....hijack away! [Smile]
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

quote:
Lyme Disease is a "clinical" diagnosis. The positive bands can be used to back up the clinical diagnosis.

Find a good LLMD that knows how to make a clinical diagnosis.

Absolutely correct. There's not time to waste if you suspect you have it. If you had a bull's eye rash, you need a good LLMD.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Read here about the bands and how they are seen in the lab. A weak positive just means that the lab tech SAW SOMETHING there but it was not a fully positive band showing up. Hence the "weak positive."

You have to ask yourself WHY that partial band would show up AT ALL if it wasn't a part of the antibody response. It's THERE for a reason.

Dr C's Western Blot explanation:

http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jess22 - Could be parasites - if people don't blast me off this thread. A well respected Lyme doctor who is popular here starts off with anti-parasite drugs first, if I recall correctly. You can use herbs, too.

Could be EBV, XMRV, CFS, Fibromyalgia, heavy metal or other chemical toxicity, various herpes viruses, adverse reaction to vaccines, drug side effects, depression, Gulf War Syndrome, mycoplasmas, allergies, hormone imbalance, blood sugar imbalance, toxic mold exposure, West Nile Virus, Chlamydia pneumoniae... (I'm not a doctor.)

I don't think all people with CFS & Fibromyalgia have Lyme. Some people here do think that but I think both illnesses can have different causes.

I tried the abx but they didn't help me. I think there are some false positives as well as false negatives.

jenn - you didn't say anything about a bulls eye rash. I never had that, nor did I see any ticks. I would think if you saw a bull's eye rash, it would be a good indication of Lyme. The tests are not accrate.You probably know this by now.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

@sparkle7 -very informative post..thank you. Why should anyone blast you? I think parasites are important to address since many of us have very low immune systems, makes sense they would proliferate.

Can you direct me to any specific posts of yours where you outline your tx since abx did not help? PM me if you prefer!

AnnaOD20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaOD20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle--I also find your feedback very informative. I think it is important for us all to not always focus so much on lyme being the cause of every symptom/issue.

Even though my Igenex results indicate lyme and I have been treating it I was not that symptomatic and often questioned my diagnosis.

Just found out at an appt yesterday that I tested positive for the Epstein Barr virs and mycoplasma (my ND explained that this could have been at any time in my life). My immune system is still compromised but there are a few things going on.

Think it is important for us all to have an open mind and be willing to explore all issues.

Posts: 376 | From New York | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Thanks.

These illnesses are very tricky. Without being too far out there - I believe some of these pathogens are created in a lab. If this is the case, we are not dealing with your "average" bug.

I think many doctors may have good intentions but they don't know how to diagnose or treat many of these things. If they can't find what exactly is wrong - many treat anyway based on educated guess work. The need to make a living...

I've been studying this for a long time. Others have, too. If it were me starting over again, I would start off with anti-parasite treatments.

See if it "provokes a response". I think parasites may be the missing link that many doctors ignore. They don't have the training in most cases. If you get ill from taking anti-parasite herbs or drugs, it's a good indication you have a problem. Not everyone does but it's something good to rule out.

Just keep in mind that any test you get may not be accurate. We are all different. You just have to keep trying things to see what you can rule out over time.

I don't think blasting yourself with endless abx is the answer. If they don't work in a given space of time - you probably need to try other things.

missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have Babesia from the tick bite, or Bartonella,

I did, and was treated, and it made a big difference.

You can challenge the tests by treating with antibiotics for 30 days, retest, and boy oh boy, you will be positive for sure.

If there was any doubt, I would treat.

I was not treated for 4 years.

I can barely walk and move, I am in torturous pain, I cannot process very fast, I used to send in blank paperwork to my boss (stuff that I had done for years!), I had a list of about 20 severe symptoms,

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiebobatie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiebobatie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with lymetoo!

something can not kinda show up if it's not there at all!

Posts: 442 | From usa | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement