LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » acute stage and need advice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: acute stage and need advice
upstatelymee
Member # 31479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upstatelymee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe I was bitten around Spetember 2010, diagnosed through Western Blot on March 24th. (6months). I was pretty asymptomatic accept for fatigue and some muscle pain until march 8th when I received a tetanus shot because I was bit by a dog. That night was the worst night of my life! SEVERE pain from head to toe, shaking, spasms and fever. Now I believe it was a Herx that everyone describes. I was on Augmentin for the dog bite and the teanus probably triggered the Lyme. 13 days out of work with fever, muscle pain, electrical shock feeling, etc. and multiple tests at the Dr. office.several nights of tight muscle/joint pain that were pretty scary. other symptoms: sensitivity to temperature (goose bumps) and sounds, tremors, headaches, parylizing neck pain that shot into head, eye floaters. 3/15 - finished Augmentin and took Flagyl b/c I had vaginal spotting and doc thought that would help. 3/21 started to feel a little better. Back to light duty at work, but I slept all night from the time I walked through the door. 3/24 Dr. received positive Lyme test. Meds: Doxycycline 21 days. Each day I improved a little more on Doxy. 04/06/11 follow up with Dr.) Done with Doxy. Neuro referral (May 19th). New symptom appears 4/13 Dizzy/vertigo. went to dr. Dx sinus infection...ok, meds: antivert and another antibiotic (ceftin). Since then I went to health food store and put myself on probiotics, multivitamin, co-Q10, R-lipoic acid, magnesium with NT factor, fish oils and Turmeric as recommended in Dr. Busscarros (sp?) guidelines. I figured none of that could hurt. So, here's my questions for those of you who have a little more experience with this thing. I believe I am only in acute stage, but do (did) have quite alot of symptoms. Did I get enough antibiotics? Should I have my Dr. to continue to monitor/treat or should I go to LLMD? Could my Dr. run the CD-57, PCR, etc. or should I not fool around anymore with my GP and get advice from a LLMD? According to the book, Everthing You want to know about Lyme, she says even those in acute stage should seek help from LLMD. I just don't want to get worse but don't want to go hours away for care if I don't need to. Wondering if I will Herx again as I read it's an ongoing thing. What would you do? Should I wait or doesn't the bacteria multiply if you stop antibiotics and then you're just letting them reproduce? Advice please. and THANKS!
Posts: 25 | From syracuse, NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that it would be a good idea to see a LLMD, especially with the positive Western Blot. The pain of traveling/cost will be outweighed by peace of mind and the road to better health.

The neuro consult could cause a series of different issues that may be neuro, or may be Lyme, or both. However, from what I experienced, I was very glad to have been to the LLMD first. It took the conversation from possible MS to Lyme.

Also, my understanding is that treatment for neuro issues can often put Lyme treatment behind. So, with a positive test, I think it would be best to make sure your Lyme is taken care of first.

All of that being said, I'm definitely not a doctor, so I can only speak to what I experienced.

Best to you!

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to freak you out-but I started treating 4 months after bite-I got very sick.

You need an LLMD

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deshi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deshi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 months is not acute. Its in your brain and central nervous system. get to an LLMD
Posts: 105 | From Ca | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
upstatelymee
Member # 31479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for upstatelymee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure if this was acute or not. I guess you can all understand the disbelief and hopeful thinking when one finds out about the severity of this illness. Thank you all for your posts and I will call an LLMD this week.
Posts: 25 | From syracuse, NY | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely understand the disbelief... and hold onto that hopeful thinking!

Have been to "Seeking a Doctor"?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
upstatelymee
Member # 31479

yes, I went to "seeking a doctor" and have received several referals through private messaging.
------------------------------------
God is my Hope and strength.
-----------------------------------
HAPPY EASTER

LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome! I'm going to break up your post alittle (those with strong neuro symptoms have difficulty reading block text). This way more people can read and help (like me [Smile] ).

----

I believe I was bitten around Spetember 2010, diagnosed through Western Blot on March 24th. (6months).

I was pretty asymptomatic accept for fatigue and some muscle pain until march 8th when I received a tetanus shot because I was bit by a dog. That night was the worst night of my life! SEVERE pain from head to toe, shaking, spasms and fever.

Now I believe it was a Herx that everyone describes. I was on Augmentin for the dog bite and the teanus probably triggered the Lyme. 13 days out of work with fever, muscle pain, electrical shock feeling, etc. and multiple tests at the Dr. office.

several nights of tight muscle/joint pain that were pretty scary. other symptoms: sensitivity to temperature (goose bumps) and sounds, tremors, headaches, parylizing neck pain that shot into head, eye floaters.

3/15 - finished Augmentin and took Flagyl b/c I had vaginal spotting and doc thought that would help. 3/21 started to feel a little better. Back to light duty at work, but I slept all night from the time I walked through the door.

3/24 Dr. received positive Lyme test. Meds: Doxycycline 21 days. Each day I improved a little more on Doxy.

04/06/11 follow up with Dr.) Done with Doxy. Neuro referral (May 19th). New symptom appears 4/13 Dizzy/vertigo. went to dr. Dx sinus infection...

ok, meds: antivert and another antibiotic (ceftin). Since then I went to health food store and put myself on probiotics, multivitamin, co-Q10, R-lipoic acid, magnesium with NT factor, fish oils and Turmeric as recommended in Dr. Busscarros (sp?) guidelines. I figured none of that could hurt.

So, here's my questions for those of you who have a little more experience with this thing. I believe I am only in acute stage, but do (did) have quite alot of symptoms. Did I get enough antibiotics?

Should I have my Dr. to continue to monitor/treat or should I go to LLMD? Could my Dr. run the CD-57, PCR, etc. or should I not fool around anymore with my GP and get advice from a LLMD? According to the book, Everthing You want to know about Lyme, she says even those in acute stage should seek help from LLMD.

I just don't want to get worse but don't want to go hours away for care if I don't need to. Wondering if I will Herx again as I read it's an ongoing thing. What would you do?

Should I wait or doesn't the bacteria multiply if you stop antibiotics and then you're just letting them reproduce? Advice please. and THANKS!

-----

HI upstatelymee: I understand the disbelief too. But yes, as others have suggested, I would see an LLMD if I were you.

6 months after the bite is not acute anymore and you will need stronger support -- especially with the symptoms you describe. The sooner you get support with this the more easily it will be resolved, so I would get started now.

With those symptoms, and only 21 days of Doxy, I would be surprised if you are Lyme-free. Good to get some expert support early on.

Best of luck to you...and all good healing wishes.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement