LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Rickettsia Spotted Fever in over 40% of ticks!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Rickettsia Spotted Fever in over 40% of ticks!!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Virginia, there are a lot of ticks with the newly described Rickettsia parkeri (new RMSF) in your area!

Almost a 50% of the ticks tested were infected!!

"The first study site is 50 km inland and borders the Great Dismal Swamp in Chesapeake, Virginia. The second site, Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge, is ... 1 km from the Atlantic Ocean in Virginia Beach. The third site, in Portsmouth, borders the Elizabeth River."

Although these study sites were near the coast line of Virginia, that does not mean other areas do not have the ticks or the disease organisms, they have just not been reported or tested yet in many areas. (FYI- Bordering states of NC and MD have reported these ticks and organisms)

This discovery (confirmation) makes it imperative that folks bitten by ticks in Virginia tell their doctors IMMEDIATELY that almost 1/2 of the gulf coast ticks tested in VA were reported by CDC to carry a Rickettsia (Spotted Fever) and get treated! DO NOT WAIT!!!!

Get it Right! Treat the Bite!

https://sites.google.com/site/getitrighttreatthebite/

And yes, the organism is known to cause infection in humans.

"Because R. parkeri is known to cause infection in humans, the presence of this pathogen in southeastern Virginia should be a health concern to persons in this region."

Every health care entity, institution, etc in the USA that I've researched follows the same rule of thumb...

"If Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (also a Rickettsia) is suspected, treat immediately!"

Doctors are suppose to treat RMSF if it is suspected, even before testing, before a rash appears, etc. Don't play with the Rickettsia diseases. Tests can miss the infection, so treat first and ask questions later.

Doxycycline is the preferred treatment for most- usually even in children suspected of having RMSF- check with your doctor.

The investigators also discovered "Candidatus Rickettsia andeanae, which has rarely been reported in the United States."

Oh JOY!

Here is the link to the new article

http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/17/5/896.htm

Here is the link to the finding of this new Rickettsia organism in the southern states - less than 10 years ago.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/6/805.long

How many more disease organisms are in the bugs that bite us?

Maybe we could ask the IDSA. I'm sure they are looking out for our health interests and know these answers.

NOT!

Heck, Wormser is FINALLY out and about talking about Babesiosis (not that it is a good thing, just reporting on it).

The problem there (one BIG one) is like all the news that affects us negatively, the IDSA usually isn't reporting it until a few years, if not decades, AFTER the fact!

And then they are like stubborn old mules you have to drag around with a rope to get them to do it.

I'm glad Wormser wasn't my mother. Glad he isn't anyone's mother in fact.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the exact area that I became infected 14 years ago. I was COVERED in ticks, but@ the time, knew nothing of Lyme. Do I need to get tested for this, or is it a relatively new organism?
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone should be tested for RMSF. Whether you have this strain or another one, many people test positive for RMSF.

I tested positive for RMSF on a blood test and the Parkeri showed up on the Asyra machine. I was bitten in southern CA.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't aware that any of the labs could test for the parkeri strain? If I am wrong please point me to a lab.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JT's Mom
Member # 24553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JT's Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this a couple days ago and I am certain it is what my son has.

My son was bit by 2 very different looking ticks in May 2008. One was a light colored adult tick (looked just like the picture for the A. maculatum tick which is the tick that carries this pathogen.) The other was a tiny I. scapularis nymph. We live in Chesapeake, VA! (Did you notice that the article states that as much as 83% were found to be infected in May?)

My son has tested positive for RMSF (R. ricketsii) through 2 different labs, but I truly believe it is R. parkeri. R. parkeri cross reacts with the test for RMSF. R. parkeri is not as severe. Nonetheless, it definitely needs to be considered.

My son also tested positive for Babesia Duncani (supposedly the "west coast" strain, but the LLMDs in this area will tell you it is here) and, of course, Lyme.

The article makes it sound like this is "new". I just think this disease, like many other TBDs, is misdiagnosed and WAY under reported. None of my son's infections have been reported to the state or CDC by any of his doctors.

Posts: 57 | From VA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can RMSF be treated with other abx besides doxycycline?
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a Rickettsia rash all over my body in summer '99 when all this crap broke loose in my body.

I've always tested negative for RMSF since 99.
In '07 I asked doc to have Labcorp test for Rickettsia which is cousin of RMSF....

LabCorp did IgM & IgG RMSF test. I don't know if the lab tech put down the wrong # or if there is not a Lab corp # for Rickettsia?

I have seekhelp new list of Labcorp blood test name and # printed off and all that's listed is RMSF.

Seekhelp, we might need you to go to work to find us some info on ths Rickettsia.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused. Are Rickettsia and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever the same thing?
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Do I need to get tested for this, or is it a relatively new organism?"

An organism doesn't begin to exist right when people discover it and have a name for it. For instance, Borrellia did not come about in the 1970's when it was first researched and given a name.

So in my opinion, you should suspect it.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My research says they are cousins. I took tons of doxy in the early months.

But I've been tick bitten more than once or twice since '99.

It's probably like some other TBD...by themselves with proper tx and a healthy immune system they are no big deal.

Pile them all together and mix up into an immune system in overload and you have another underlying cause as to why some of us can't seem to get over the hill and feeling better with traditional meds.

Nobody has a clue who ALL the invaders are.

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rickettsia and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever are the same thing.

Rickettsia is the bacteria; just as Borrelia is the bacteria for Lyme.

[ 04-25-2011, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Haley ]

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Haley I would think there is different strains just like there are different strains of lyme or borrelia.

Pam

--------------------

Haley
Member # 22008

Yes, there are different strains just like Borrelia Parkeri or Borrelia ...... (sp)
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I though RMSF is something that would kill you in a couple days if untreated. Is that an oversimplification? Would regular lyme treatment take care of rickettsia, or is there a specific antibiotic for it?
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was bitten and got RMSF; I don't know what strain. The doctor took it very seriously and said people in our state die every year from it.

He treated before the labs came back, two weeks of doxycycline, then did a repeat lab 3 mos. later to make sure it was gone.

I have heard of chronic RMSF, but don't know much about it.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can RMSF be treated with other abx besides doxycycline?"

Yes, but don't fool around. This is not a fool around with disease. Do the Doxy.

Other antibiotics don't always do the trick, if they do at all.

Yes, RMSF can become chronic with serious problems associated with it.

```````````````````````````````````````````

"It's probably like some other TBD...by themselves with proper tx and a healthy immune system they are no big deal."

Rickettsia and RMSF and Ehrlichiosis are all "related"... for lack of a better term.

ALL can kill if untreated and even IF treated.

All of these diseases should be treated ASAP to prevent worsening of symptoms and long term problems.

Consider them in the very serious, even life-threatening, category.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See the three rules about RMSF... and remember them!!!

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/tick-borne-diseases/rocky-mountain-spotted-fever

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

map1131
Member # 2022

There is no doubt in my mind that RMSF or a cousin was in my body July 19,1999. I will never forget that day or the 10 days that followed before I was put on doxy.

At that time in my life I took one pill synthroid. Even aspirin or anti-inflammatory were rarely taken. I went to doc once a year to have my thyroid levels checked.

I had been to this doc a few months before because out of nowhere my knees were killing me. Took arthritic meds but they didn't help, so I just lived through the pain. After all it would be there one week and then gone the next but coming at me regularly??????????????

I've always called it "the flu-like illness from hell" that struck me 7/19/99. It crossed my mind and in my heart I knew something evil was in me.

I also was concerned whatever this was could kill me at 42....but I wasn't one to go to doc and I certainly wouldn't go to hospital unless I broke my leg.

Every test my doc ran came back from LabCorp negative. Lyme, strep, RMSF everything.

Tincup that list of sx on RMSF was me. A muscle testing doc muscle tested me years later and my body said there was 5 bacteria thay collided. The doc called it train wreck in my body.

It's amazing to me even after all this time I'm still figuring out what was happening during those dark days.

It is only by the grace of God that I made it.

Tincup, you, Lymetoo and Gigi have been my angels on lymenet since '02, as well as for thousands and thousands of others.

Thanks, Pam

--------------------

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tincup,

You say RMSF, Rickettsia, and Erlichia are all related.

Can you expand?

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Related like in share DNA or are they distant cousins? Good question cane?

Pam

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

Thanks map. Your so sweet. And I agree 100% with your comment... "It is only by the grace of God that I made it."

Amen to that. Now...

Not that my "thinker" is any more awake and functioning than it was when I wrote the post.... but I did figure out what I think I meant and the "missing" words/terms.

I said above... Rickettsia and RMSF and Ehrlichiosis are all "related"... for lack of a better term.

As I eluded to partially (you being a mind reader helps a whole lot in this situation)... they have similar clinical presentations.

"Similar clinical presentations" was the lack of a better term that I couldn't come up with. Sorry I didn't explain further. But lucky you, I will now.

[lol]

For example...

1. ALL can kill if untreated and even IF treated. (supposedly Lyme doesn't kill in the early stages- according to some)

2. They can present with a similar rash, or no rash at all.

3. They share the feature of (usually) causing a high fever early on, in comparison to Lyme in the early stages which is more often a low grade fever.

4. Headaches, chills, myalgias and fatigue can be present after being exposed to both diseases. (Lyme also in this case, but not always as severe).

5. MY main point was - Both of these diseases should be treated ASAP to prevent worsening of symptoms, long term problems or death.

6. Early treatment with doxycycline is the preferred treatment for both Ehrlichia and Rickettsia.

As for DNA? HA! I know as much about that as I do what makes a bird sing.

I do believe I've read that a strain of Rickettsia was found to be partially (DNA?) linked to an Ehrlichia strain, but don't quote me on that.

And then again, my bet is my DNA ... traced back far enough.. could be partially linked to a tree frog.

[lol]

[ 05-04-2011, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Tincup ]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

map1131
Member # 2022

I had early doxy within 10 days of flu-like illness from hell. High fevers daily for 6 mths and longer, and sx so serious I really thought I could be dying.

Took doxy, amox, ampicillian, z-pack, by handfuls for 3 mths. Summer 99. Should of killed rickettsia, RMSF, or whatever cousin it was.

I know for certain I had/have lyme. Abx didn't touch this monster. Nov 99-Jan '02, oral abx one type or another or combo.

Feb '02 my PCP agreed to try IV Rocephin, I did 6 weeks. Came off it 2 weeks prior to 1st visit to LLMD early April '02.

Igenex Results IgM:
18 equ
23-25 equ
30 equ
31 ++
34 +
39 +
41 +++
45 +
58 +
66 +
93 +

IgG so blank LLMD threw it away and said Igenex failed to get IgG completed, doesn't matter this IgM is so positive. You are chronic and have been for a long period.

So I did 2 more yrs of LLMD trying other abx that I'd not tried with PCP. I told LLMD I'm going to rife and alternative tx, thank you for trying to help me. He stated I don't blame you, others have succeeded with other things besides abx.

I traveled 8 hr ride one way 7 times in that period. LLMD & Igenex did Bart, babs, Ehrlichia and all were neg. He didn't buy it and I didn't buy it.

There is something in my body that has been there since day 1 of illness besides lyme. I won't stop until I know his name and kill him.

Tree frogs are my favorite Tinny. So lime green too!!!!!!!!!!!!

I nominate you to go to school and study DNA of these SOBs. Anybody 2nd my motion?

Pam

--------------------

Tincup
Member # 5829

You are a funny one map. And did I hear somewhere it is your birthday?

HOPPY BIRTHDAY you tree frog lover you!

May it be a good good good day.

You said.. "There is something in my body that has been there since day 1."

So what is it? And what symptoms do you have that makes you think so?

Do you do treatment, feel better and then relapse? If so, how soon after stopping treatment?

Have you been checked for E-coli and viral infections, like Parvo B-19?

https://sites.google.com/site/marylandlyme/lab-tests/western-blot-explanation

Don't bother answering today. Have fun today.

BUT, let's figure out soon what actually makes you tick.

Oops! Bad choice of words, eh?

[lol]

We will have to get to the bottom of this and get you straightened out!

BTW- Do you hang out with horses there in KY? If so, be careful. I was bitten by a horse there when I was just a child.

He thought my shoulder was grass... or maybe that's just what grandma said so it wouldn't make me think the horse didn't like me?

Now I wonder....

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pam:

We attributed our daughters high fevers (in hindsight) to Babs. She has never tested positive for this.

The mepron and zith have helped on the fevers, night sweats, vertigo, air hunger issues.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

T9, thanks for the thought. But I've never shown typical sx of babs. Night sweats maybe 2 weeks? Vertigo was a big issue first year and today if I climb up stairs.

Air hunger isn't an issue but when I walk up many steps. That's from age and lack of exercise.

I've only tested for babs once with LLMD and it was neg. I know co testing is bad and my test was 9 yrs ago by Igenex.

I've never suspected babs in myself. But just the other day I posted if babs is in me, it's deep and there is still too many other bad guys holding it down.

It wouldn't surprise to peel away an layer of the onion and find babs. But I'd bet against it.
But who knows????????????

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement