LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » MOLD AND LYME DISEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MOLD AND LYME DISEASE
DocAllegra
Member # 28021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DocAllegra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HAS ANYONE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH AN INTERNAL MOLD PROBLEM AND LYME DISEASE? I have both and wondered if there was someone out there who would be willing to share their treatment protocol with me.
Posts: 33 | From Silver SPring, MD | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doc.

I am waiting for results to a deep nasal culture. I'm learning that mold may be a big underlying issue for me. I don't have answers yet. Waiting for lab results, etc. But if I may suggest... read Surviving Mold. I'm working my way thru it and I am blown away. It's quite an education I am getting right now. And it all seems to 'fit' with my picture. I see my puzzle coming together more clearly than ever. I think this is HUGE HUGE HUGE. Certainly worth investigating. (Check out some of the recent mold threads here on LN that have been getting a lot of attention.)

From what I've learned from studying Dr. K's work.... mold and fungi tend to grow more when we are heavy metal toxic (and we tend to be heavy metal toxic when we are deficient in certain minerals like zinc, etc... check into KPU etc...) And mold tends to grow at a rapid rate when exposed to EMFs and wireless.

I was at his clinic last month. As I said we are doing testing, etc. In the meantime I was advised to buy a grounding bedsheet (like on earthing.com), which I plan on purchasing today. And to turn off all wireless things in the house AND UNPLUG THEM when sleeping. (we're actually just going to go back to wired phones).

I hope you find your answers. Wishing you the best.
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy,
I am postive for three molds by speciality mold lab. I am NOT positive for for any heavy metals.
They are all negative.

DocAllgra, sending you a PM

I have found that I have plateaued with TBD treatment progress since getting the mold. Now doing detox.

There are many good threads on here, search for mold. Mold can also be in your food, as well as, in your living space.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elaine - not sure what tests you have done for metals. The few things I learned.... Hair analysis is a good test (doctor's data $46). But even if it comes out normal, it does not necessarily mean you don't have metals. It could mean that you body is not processing them and eliminating them into your hair. I've heard a good test is to do a DMPS challenge. Where you collect urine for several hours after the IV to see what was loosened and what was expelled.

Just some thoughts. Wishing you well. Wish this was easier!

Best,
Tammy

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am waiting on my test results from IGenex for Lyme & Bartonella -- but I have had 'chronic arthritis' since I was 23. Grew up in Massachusetts, vacationed on the Cape, camped a lot, got really sick after a dog bite May, 1992.

I have a very high ERMI test from Mycometrics:
http://www.mycometrics.com/articles/ERMI_Lin_IEC2007.html

Waiting for a detailed report on mold so we can start remediating.

I KNOW mold is a contributing factor to my family's illness. Lyme might be. My son has Lyme and Mold DEFINITELY.

My son and I both have high mercury and lead. Just tested my daughter... waiting on hair test results from DD.

My son's LLMD did not know much about mold so we are still waiting on... ??? tests, treatment, etc

My first appointment with an LLMD was last week.
He put me on cholestyramine powder for the mold...

AND - LiverLife and NDF Plus from BioRay for detoxing metals and opening up the detox pathways... helping the liver. http://www.bioraynaturaldetox.com/

Not sure what I will do if I find out I have Lyme. I will tend to lean toward natural protocols if I can. Last time I was on abx was 1994... we'll see what happens.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, I think the DMPS challenge test is too risky.

http://www.dmpsbackfire.com

Dr. K's HPU protocol will push enough metals into your hair to know if you have a problem. I wouldn't do a hair test without some kind of supplement to push metals out.

See page 18 of this Dr. K power point presentaion:
http://bit.ly/fcF42M

Even if you do a Doctor's Data hair test without provocation, you can get an idea of how toxic you are by looking at the essential minerals. If you are severely deficient in essential minerals it is likely you have heavy metals galore.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

The hair test also shows where you are with essential metals also, so I think it's a really good test to do periodically.

Heather - I've heard the pros and cons of DMPS also. I was in a controlled situation in Seattle when then did it. Also, right after, we did a glutathione clean-up IV, followed by a colonic. I felt no ill effects after the challenge. But I know that's not the case with everyone.

Recently I've been hearing if you do try to push metals out (in addition to supplement the essential minerals as you mention above) it may be better to go with EDTA instead of DMPS.

Thoughts?

Then, of course, no matter what, got to add binders. I'm doing chlorella 3 x per day, plus microsilica at night.

Tammy

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tammy, when I lived in New Jersey, before I knew I had Lyme, I went to a bio-chemist turned chiroprator. He treated a lot of CFS patients. I only went to him once since he kept me waiting for over 1.5 hours for my appointment and could not drive there and wait so long.

He said that hair testing for anything is a complete waste of time since we use shampoo, conditioners, gels, hair spray, etc., on our hair daily. He did say that I would have to have my hair completly stripped of these chemicals for one month before an accurate test could be performed. That was HIS opinion.

When I think about his opinion, with all the chemcials in the hair products we use, I think he may be right to think this way. I even looked into some "natural" products and they still have ingredients in the product that are not natural.

You are right, this is not easy. With conflicting opinions it makes it more difficult.

Do you know if blood testing is accurate for heavy metals?

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Here's the trick - you use your pubic hair. I forgot the mention that. This is the only way I would do it for an accurate reading.

Blood tests are not considered very good. I did it anyway in addition to the hair test, and it did show high levels.

You can also do a 24 hour urine collection (unchallenged). Not sure how good this test is considered. But it is another test that is available.

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His opinion makes a lot of sense to me.

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine G:
Tammy, when I lived in New Jersey, before I knew I had Lyme, I went to a bio-chemist turned chiroprator. He treated a lot of CFS patients. I only went to him once since he kept me waiting for over 1.5 hours for my appointment and could not drive there and wait so long.

He said that hair testing for anything is a complete waste of time since we use shampoo, conditioners, gels, hair spray, etc., on our hair daily. He did say that I would have to have my hair completly stripped of these chemicals for one month before an accurate test could be performed. That was HIS opinion.

When I think about his opinion, with all the chemcials in the hair products we use, I think he may be right to think this way. I even looked into some "natural" products and they still have ingredients in the product that are not natural.

You are right, this is not easy. With conflicting opinions it makes it more difficult.

Do you know if blood testing is accurate for heavy metals?

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

They ask what kind of shampoo you use when they do the test.
IMO, this does not skew the results too much anyway.

Tammy EDTA can be added for lead removal but I don't think it is the best chelator for mercury.

I am not against the use of DMPS either. I think, used correctly it is a fine. I just think when given by IV, it can be overdone, circulate a lot of metals at once and not cleaned up properly. I know that was not the case at Dr. K's!

I have been doing a mixture the Cutler protocol and HPU protocol since the day after Christmas.

I just realized this got off topic. This is a question about mold and lyme.

Anyone got more info on protocols for DocAllegra?

--------------------
May health be with you!

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Tammy, there is still soap residue on pubic hair.

I would love to see an accurate way to test for heavy metals without all these conflicting opinions. A test that would stand up in court.
I don't believe there is such a test. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't heard of it, yet.

It doesn't make our lives easier.

Just how do we get these heavy metals in our body? Products, that we use?

Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Sorry, Doc, that we have gotten off-topic....but this is important also, and, I believe, a part of the picture.

Elaine - It's in our water, air and food. As it was explained to me (and makes sense), when someone is deficient in their essential minerals (zinc, etc....) they are more vulnerable to absorb the bad stuff. It's as if there is a void in the cells where the good stuff is suppose to be, and the bad stuff takes up residence. That's why it is soooo important to supplement the essential stuff while trying to get rid of the bad stuff.

Regarding hair test - maybe strip with white vinegar then rinse like crazy. What else can we do? Still I think it's worth testing for $46.

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Tammy, thank you for the explanation. It helps.

The bio-chemist I mentioned before did say that a person would have to use something for a month to get rid of the chemicals in hair. With Lyme I can't remember what he said to use. I will contact a friend of mine who took her granddaughter to him and see if she remembers.
Her and I had a long conversation about the hair testing. If I find out what it was, I will post.

Back to mold.............

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the world-ranking herbalist on the Healthy.net site, calendula (marigold, medicinal variety) flowers are "markedly anti-fungal". Can be used as nasal wash in tea form, cooled to room temperature, I would mix it with goldenseal powder (Only small amounts), cool the tea and use as nasal wash. May be drunk internally if you are not allergic to the marigold or other members of the aster family.

You could also use goldenseal capsules if taking internally to avoid the horribly bitter taste.

Grapefruit seed extract might also be effective.

For anyone interested, Buhner has a book about herbal antibiotics and the info would be in there.

Best wishes, CI

The above information has not been evaluated by the FDA and is not intended to diagnose, prevent or cure any disease. Drugs and herbs may interact, talk with your doctor.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Oh, Doc, Dr. K's office gave me SinuClenz for my sinuses (it has wild oil or oregano, bay leaf, sage, clove bud oil, sea salt and spring water) 3-4x per day. Not sure yet how to treat in the body. Will get my protocol once labs are in and reviewed.
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DocAllegra - The appropriate protocol depends on the type of mold. I've been on prescription itraconazole (sporonox), diflucan and others. Also many natural supplements.

Some of the methylation polymorphisims also cause one to hold onto heavy metals. I've read that borrelia and other pathogens take up heavy metals. I was told by my LLMD that when borrelia dies heavy metals are released into the body. Adding a heavy metal binder while in treatment for lyme is a good idea.

ElaineG wrote:
Do you know if blood testing is accurate for heavy metals

Blood testing is only useful if you are currently being exposed to heavy metals. The body tucks heavy metals away into various compartments and thus no longer show up in the blood once there is no acute exposure.

According to the EPA lead leaves the blood 6-8 weeks after exposure.

ElaineG asked:
Just how do we get these heavy metals in our body?

According to the EPA (the info on an old page that is gone now) 50% of a mothers load of lead is transferred to a fetus. ALL of our mothers in the U.S. were expossed to lead. There was lots of lead in the air from leaded gasoline. Lead was finally phased out of gasoline in 1996 according to the EPA.

Other sources of lead exposure.
http://www.epa.gov/ttnatw01/hlthef/lead.html

Mercury is in fish, amalgams (teeth fillings still in use), expelled through certain manufacturing processes etc. etc.... As fetuses we would be particularly vulernable to our mothers exposure.

http://www.epa.gov/hg/exposure.htm

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

DocAllegra - my son's LLMD suggested nizoral/cromolyn or sporonax spray... have not tried either yet.

We are all doing netipot cleanses. The kids are doing a gentle saline rinse. I have been adding olive leaf extract to mine.

I take a lot of coconut oil daily.

Binders = apple pectin, bentonite clay, diatomaceous earth, zeolite powder (not all at once)

Running propolis diffuser 24 hours a day.

--------------------
May health be with you!

linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Theives cleaner in my house, as well as a diffuser with Thieves essential oil. It starts to smell musty at this time of year when it is so rainy.

It is effective in killing airborne pathogens.

Our ND even had us take it internally in a capsule mixed with olive oil. It protects the lungs. I would not try this on your own, however, you need a practitioner to test and see the right mix for you, if you test well for it.

It smells really good too, and is not as harsh as clorox etc.

Google it and read about it's history - quite interesting.

--------------------
'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.' Matthew 11:28

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things about mold susceptibility:
-Avoidance. If there is mold in your home, you need to have professionals test and remediate.

-Detoxify! My daughter did the cholestyramine protocol with amazing results. I know others who do this protocol every time they take a mold hit. There are a number of good threads about this problem, including one that is still active on first page. They mention chlorella as a great detoxer for this. And chlorella is much more pleasant than cholestyramine!

Good luck!

Posts: 422 | From Herndon, Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement