LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how long does it take to get tendon pain from Levaquin??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how long does it take to get tendon pain from Levaquin??
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had my first full dose yesterday...and this morning my calves bottom half feel tight and feels uncomfortable to walk especialy up and down stairs......

am wondering if its a flare as i used to have really tight calves but havent had it in the last 5 months or so..... or is it the levaquin.....

can levaquin cause tendon problems so quickly???

[ 04-26-2011, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Florence1 ]

--------------------
Oct 09 Positive CDC Western Blot
Jan 10 Positive Babesia Duncani
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on crutches after 4 days.

BUT I has since taken it again and have been able to go longer. Key: up up up your magnesium intake. And I don't just mean Mag-Tabs as some folks take. Take multiple forms to bowel tolerance, then back down to a comfortable level. This should be started 2 weeks b/f you go on Levaquin (and other quinolines), continued while on it (at least 2 hours away from ABX), and then GRADUALLY, not abruptly, reduced it back down to your normal supplementation levels after that Tx is done.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shahbah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shahbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn, when you say to "bowel tolerance" what does that mean? How much Mg were you taking?
Posts: 723 | From Montreal | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Florence1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
crutches for achilles pain?????......

i would like to know how much mag and in what form aswell??

thanks

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Posts: 739 | From NC | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To bowel tolerance" means taking as much as you can take without getting diarrhea.

When it makes you have d, then lower the dose slightly to avoid the d. That is taking mag "to bowel tolerance."

Take it a number of times per day--like 3 or 4. You can take more that way.

Be sure you take it at least 2 hours away from levaquin or you will affect the potency of the levaquin. That goes for calcium (milk, etc.), iron, zinc also.

Study this page:

http://www.lymebook.com/antibiotic-treatment-for-babesia-bartonella-ehrlichia-co-infections

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you can't ever get to bowel tolerance? I've taken a bunch and it makes no difference whatsoever. Hmmm..
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may need a different form of magnesium to notice bowel side-effects...not all forms of magnesium cause loose stools.

Also, I've read that Vitamin C is also needed to prevent the tendon issues from that class of abx...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same as Dawn, crutches in 4 days. Couch for 2 weeks from it. Nasty stuff.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

wow......because of achilles??

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it started with tightness in my calves and 2 days later severe pain in both calves and down.
Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

oh my gosh i did first dose on monday tuesday woke up with tight calves...

did second dose this morning but my legs are achey and calves a little better than yesterday......so will see what tomorrow brings....

am nervous though.....

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stop immediately if I were you and work on building up the magnesium and vitamin C in your body before trying it again. Give yourself two weeks.

Some people have had tendon problems after only one dose. I developed tendonitis in five weeks. The pain lasted 8 months. I also ignored the beginning pain because it was in the muscle, not the tendon, and I had similar pain before.

Then I felt a snap in my shoulder and that was it. It was very painful. I had to sleep sitting up because lying down caused tremendous aching.

Lots of magnesium and vitamin C!

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Florence1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22960

How much magnesium and vit c??

I know as bowel tolerates but generally what is
A good dose for prevention??

--------------------
Jan 10 Cd57 28
Mar 10 EBV, IgM, IgG
HHV-6 IgG

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, tendon damage in a few days the first time. ANd the second time I took Levaquin at a very teeny dose---I got a separated shoulder. Talk about pain---wow, bad!! It helped my Bart an neuro sx miraculously. But I won't do it again.
Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had achilles pain immediately (had loaded up on VitC and Mag).
So I stopped and waited some days until it was gone. Than I restarted Levaquin without getting these strong pains.
But after 4 weeks I crashed - being completely floxed with tendon inflammations over my whole body (beside other damages).

Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you are experiencing this. Muscle tightness and tendonitis is horrible and can cause lingering pain so be cautious. I have had this happen the 3 times I have taken it. Make sure to call your doctor and let him know whats going on.

To avoid tendon pain up your antioxident intake. Levaquin also depletes Magnesium like other people have said. Magnesium is a natural muscle relaxant so when your levels are low you will experience the muscle tightening which can actually make you more venerable to tendons pain.

I take magnesium glycinate because it normally does not cause the bowel intolerance and sleepiness magnesium oxide can cause. Taking calcium will reverse the effects of the magnesium too.

If the muscle tightening is too bad massage therapy or muscle relaxers may be used.Strong antioxidants like Alpha lipoic acid and glutathinoe are the best. My doctor has me take them 2 weeks before flouroquilones to give me a head start.

Take care,

Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement