LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question for the ladies about antibiotics and yeast infections....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for the ladies about antibiotics and yeast infections....
jenniferk32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenniferk32   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on Doxycycline for about 3 months but I'm taking 75 billion cfu's of probiotics (the RAW brand). I know the probiotics are supposed to help prevent yeast infections, but I think I have one.

The problem is, I've only had one yeast infection in my whole life, when I was pregnant about 10 years ago. I don't really remember what it was like. I thought you're supposed to have some kind of yucky discharge but I don't have that. I'm just really itchy.

And btw, there's zero chance it's an STD, I'm not currently sexually active and was tested for everything after my last boyfriend.

I really don't want to waste the time and the money going to the doctor when I can just treat it at home if that's what it is. Should I just buy a kit? It won't do any harm if that's not what it is, will it?

Also, should I increase my intake of probiotics? What I have says that you can take up to 3 servings of the 85 billion a day.

But I was also wondering if the RAW brand is even what I should be taking. It has like 100 different strands of bacteria, as opposed to the ones that just have a few, like lactobacillus or bifidobacterium. Maybe what I'm taking now doesn't have enough of the ones I really need?

Opinions please?

Posts: 107 | From Hesperia, CA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you have one to me. I just got over one myself. My doctor gave me boric acid suppositories, but you can use the stuff from the store. The thing is, is you have yeast there, it is probably systemic. My doctor put me on nystatin. It is a powder, and I take it 2 x a day. It made me really sick when I started, and everytime I go up in dose. I increase very few days and wont be full strength for another week or two. I feel very hungover, and I heard somewhere that when the yeast dies it gives off alcohol, so if its true, would explain the hangover. Can you ask your doctor? I think it is a good idea to take something to kill yeast whenever you are on antibiotics. I don't know much about probiotics, but I take S. Boulardii and Theralac.
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about RAW either, but remember that probiotics provide GOOD BACTERIA for the gut. They DO NOT KILL YEAST.

So .. you may need to call your doctor. The boric acid supps are supposed to be good. I've never tried them. Most of my yeast problems are in my gut.

Get on the diet, ASAP!!

Excellent probiotics:

VSL#3
http://www.vsl3.com/order.asp

Theralac
www.theralac.com

Whatever you take, take at least 100 CFU's per day. Wish someone had told me that 10 yrs ago!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

YEAST SYMPTOMS:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/104816#000000

Stymielymie's thread
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/104860#000015

DIET, DIET, DIET is the key. Then, be sure to follow the 5 step plan outlined below. It was developed by my naturopath. It works.

"Successful control and elminiation of a Candida Albicans overgrowth requires a multifaceted program as described below. Failure to follow ALL the steps simultaneously will result in slow progress and will lengthen healing time significantly. The program should be tailored to the individual and must balance the need to eliminate the Candida and deprive it of its food source while insuring proper nutrition for the individual."

Five Steps to Candida Elimination:

1. You must starve it into submission by eliminating its food source.

2. You must kill it with anti-fungal herbs and supplements. [e.g....garlic, onion, caprylic acid, Pau D'Arco capsules or tea, clove, grapefruit seed extract, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, tea tree oil, Echinacea, Goldenseal, black walnut, MSM, barberry root, uva ursi, neem leaf, biotin]

3. You must reestablish the proper balance and quantity of probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract. [...multi-strain lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus capsules with FOS should be taken between meals to maximize repopulation of the digestive tract by beneficial bacteria.]

4. You must reestablish proper levels of all B vitamins (yeast free) and utilize other immune enhancing supplements to boost immune system function. [e.g ... B complex vitamins (yeast free), biotin, beta 1-3 glucan, colostrum, maitake mushroom, vitamins A, C, E, zinc and selenium]

5. You must cleanse and heal the digestive tract to promote proper elimination of toxins and Candida and assimilation of nutrients. [e.g...chlorophyll, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids found in flax seed and salmon oils, GLA found in borage, evening primrose and black currant oils. Pantothenic acid, digestive enzymes between meals]

-----

Nystatin is a good preventative, but if you have a bad case of yeast, you will need Diflucan. I don't know if you have a bad case or not.. let your doctor decide! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my knowledge, there is nothing you can do to prevent vaginal yeast when on antibiotics long term. Your gut yeast is preventable.
Mine didn't start til 2 months in. I used Monistat but it came back, so my llmd prescribed diflucan once a week but my insurance wouldn't allow it. They allowed one every 2 wks. Why?

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much you can do to totally prevent gut yeast either. The longer you are on abx, the more likely it will happen.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second asking your doc aboout nystatin. I have been on it almost as long as abx. When I got really sick a few weeks ago (thought it was strep, was actually a myco flare that I still have) I didn't take any meds for a couple days. I tell you what, as a result, I found out very quickly exactly how important that nystatin is!

Soon after restarting it, that part of my body settled right back down. [Smile]

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momofnine
Member # 31637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momofnine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doc told me to drink 1/2 cup buttermilk daily. He says it is much better than probiotics.

Ihave a son who had bad candida and I got a supplement called *yeast defense* at the health food store and it took care of it when oral meds did not.

you cannot take the good bacteria at the same time as the antibiotics... make sure there are hours between or the antibiotics will kill the good too.

Posts: 15 | From MO | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boric acid suppositories work great and super cheap too. Put it in at bedtime. It can be used for a few nights in a row. Works better than any monistat product and ten times cheaper.

Diet plays a huge role

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Buttermilk?? I would never be able to get away with that.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement