LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sore, blood shot eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sore, blood shot eyes
Splashi1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splashi1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone has this symptom. Every now and then I wake up with sticky, blood shot eyes. They are obviously irritated and the symptom usually appears when my other symptoms are flaring. I also occasionally get jabbing pains behind my eyes. I have seen an eye doctor, but he says he doesn't know the cause. My eyes do tend to get dry, though apparently not dry enough to be considered a dry eye diagnosis.
Posts: 141 | From East Coast USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ticksickfamily
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticksickfamily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son used to get bloodshot eyes and was diagnosed with episcleritis. After starting treatment with A-Bart, he had a flare for 3 weeks and both eyes were very bloodshot and then it calmed down. When he increased his A-Bart dose it flared slightly again. Now he is still on A-Bart and it hasn't been a problem at all.

I also developed a bloodshot left red eye within a day when I started on A-L complex.The dose I started on was 1/4 drop every 10 days ! This never happened before with antibiotics. Since starting the herbals I have had intermittant pain in my left eye, sometimes it is a bit crusty and sometimes it waters. This is the same eye where I have a ptosis from a previous Bells Palsy on the left side of my face.

So for us, I think the eye symptoms are a type of herx response to herbal treatments.

Posts: 174 | From UK | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DKat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DKat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this symptom and was finally diagnosed with dry eye and use Restasis which helps alot.

The year before the dry eye diagnosis, my eye doctor had me using OTC by Bausch & Lomb called Soothe. That did help.

--------------------
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.

Posts: 338 | From NEPA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Sjogren's .. dry mouth, eyes and body. I'm pretty sure Lyme can cause it.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marypart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marypart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Lyme. Lyme is well known to affect the eyes in all stages.

Here's a newly updated reference from emedicine:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1202521-overview#aw2aab6b2

My son has eye symptoms, especially during flares and herxes.

Mary

--------------------
Son, 26, Dx Lyme 4/10, Babs 8/10
Had serious arthritis, all gone.
Currently on Valtrex
Daughter, 26,bullseye 7/11
arthritis in knees, cured and off all meds. .
Self:Lyme, bart, sxs gone, no longer treating.

Posts: 496 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Splashi1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Splashi1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much to all who gave me their valuable info! I appreciate it!
Posts: 141 | From East Coast USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get this as well. Have also been to the eye Dr and they can't find a problem.

Refresh eye drops have been very helpful for us.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickntired19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickntired19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this too and was worried because I have a history of swollen optic nerves with hemorrhaging but when I went to my eye Dr. he said it is the autoimmune part of Lyme Disease.

He gave me a perscription for steroid drops but I felt that it was better to suffer through it then to do that to my eyes when steroids are the alsting thing that we are supposed to be using.

It will come and go. I am just kind of used to it by now.

Posts: 265 | From Oregon | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is capillary fragility, bioflavonoids can be helpful, particularly quercitin. I am taking 400 mg quercitin with bromelain by Now Foods for this exact reason, Bloodshot eyes.

I had no idea this could be bart-related.

For dry or allergic eyes, the homeopathic drops Similasan can be helpful.

Best wishes, CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been an ongoing symptom for me. It is clearing some with babesia treatment but I believe it is could also be ehrichlia.

100mg of hyaluronic acid taken every day keeps my eyes clear. It is the only thing that helps. You can buy it at your health food store but do not get the cheap source that is made from chicken sternum or rooster comb.

Hyaluronic acid is collagen and the bacteria love it so it needs to be replaced. Collagen is in your eyes, skin and joints.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliz428
Member # 21509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eliz428     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see an optometrist or an opthamologist? If it is iritis, it is nothing to mess around with. Antibiotics may need to be stopped and unfortunately small doses of steroids are the only way to treat this. That and dilation. I had it for two months at which time my llmd told me to stop my abx. He said you can lose your sight if it's not treated. It can be recurring at which time if you have the meds, you can take them when it flares. But to just let it go or brush it off to dry eyes is not a good idea. Is your vision affected when this happens? That's a clue.
Posts: 43 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Interesting Eliz, and important information. Thank you.

That said, I also have noticed since the nuclear radiation fallout, and I don' t know why this would seem to be connected, but here it is....I am noticing that a lot of people in this area have bloodshot eyes. Including kids.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

This has never been a pattern before, not even with the pollens of spring in this area.

I wonder about this.

Maybe it has nothing at all to do with the nuclear radiation and really is just seasonal allergies? But why I never noticed this before? I don't know.

My husband never gets those allergies and yet he has the red eyes this year too. Four year olds have it. Strange.

Still have to wonder....

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neff - what brand HA do you take? Assume by mouth - for joints and eyes? Tks.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I get major pink eyes. I look quite stoned most of the time!
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susank, the brand I buy changes. The last brand I bought was BAXYL and it was $40. Look for a purified high molecular weight product. Chicken sternum is worthless and is often labeled Type II Collagen. Type II can actually be inflammatory.

Google BAXYL. It contains no animal parts and is high molecular weight. There are other brands but I just don't remember their names.

Other benefits of HA is it reduces wrinkles (often in expensive cosmetics) and lubricates joints. It is considered an anti-aging compound because we lose collagen as we age.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement