LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Vanco experiences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Vanco experiences?
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD is considering adding IV Vanco to my current treatment protocol. I've done a couple searches here and haven't found much.

Has anyone used this med? Was it helpful? How long did it take to see results? Were you able to maintain the progress made when you stopped the med?

I would appreciate anything you might have to share about this.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did IV vanco for three months. It was a great drug. The one downside for me, was I had to get trough levels drawn every few days and I had to infuse three times daily.

This med needs to be spaced apart evenly so I was up very early and up very late to get my infusions in.

That being said, I wiped out my lyme for many months with just the three months I took it. It has been a few months (3-4) without sympotoms but my memory loss is starting to creep back.

So, I'm most likely getting back on IV vanco shortly.

Overall, great drug, easy to tolerate, tough infusion schedule for me. It might be diffferent for you. Everyone absorbs meds differently so you may only need to infuse it 2x a day.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for sharing blinkie. Did you take any other meds with the IV Vanco? What do you think helped the most with your cognitive symptoms, this is a big problem for me.

Anyone else treated with IV Vanco?

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I had one IV Vanco treatment...and about 40 minutes into the infusion, I started getting severe itching on my neck and head. Then the pain started...severe, burning, stabbing pain in my bladder, and then it started shooting down my legs to my toes. It hurt so bad I was writhing and moaning, and I have a high pain tolerance!

My doctor said it was probably some kind of allergic-type reaction and he told me to take Benadryl and stop the infusion. I did, and the Benadryl helped pretty quickly to stop the pain and itching.

I'm not convinced that this wasn't a herx, but then again...the Benadryl probably wouldn't have worked so well on a herx...I don't know. But I have listed Vanco on my med allergy list just in case...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hubby has had 3 days 2 different times in the hospital. They did draw peak and trough in one hospital. He got 1 gram 2 times per day both times.

Was on 4 different IV meds due to "unexplained" high fevers -- still pretty sure they were babesia herxes.

Anyway -- he likes this med. Says it gets into the back of his brain that other meds can't get to and just makes him feel better.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you Razzle and Bea. I'm so ready to feel better.
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on IV Vancomycin twice, and AK going to start my third round in a week. I was on Rocephin the second time and this time will be on Factiv and bicillin la. I loved Vancomycin. It made me improve a lot but I got extremely toxic. Obviously its stronger than mist other meds so if your doctor is considering it you must be very sick. It's called the "drug of last resort" because its normally reserved for antibiotic resistant infections.

You need to take benadryl and pepcid ax beforehand to prevent red man syndrome or an allergic reaction. I only had the peak and trough done after the first 3 days and normally shouldn't be done any more than that unless a dose adjustment is needed. Will let you know how it goes this round.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

LuLu, thanks for the heads up on benadryl and pepcid ac. What doses did you take of each? And do you know why they recommend the pepcid ac?
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An allergic reaction occurs from a histimine response and the way to stop the response is by inhibiting the receptors located in the stomach. Antihistimines work by binding to H1 (histimine1) receptors instead of histimine, which is why benadryl or other antihistimines help.

Pepcid AC, and other H2 blockers, reduces stomach acid by blocking H2 (histimine2) receptors. Not all medications that reduce stomach acid are H2 blockers, some are proton pump inhibitors, so make sure the one you take is. Taking them together has an additive effect because more histimine is blocked thus reducing your chance of an allergic reaction common in vanco.

The combination of these medications works well for any type of allergic reaction, I use it in spring when my seasonal allergies are driving me crazy. I am sure each doctor has his own method, but if you are starting this you will probably going to do the test dose in the office because the reaction possibility is higher than most drugs.

I just found out I am on a lower dose of vanco then I have been before so hopefully I still get the positive results with a less severe cytokine reaction. I hope you feel better.

Take care,
Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The itching of the head is called red man synrome. I get it everytime I start IV vanco. But, they slow down the infusion and I never get it after the first dose.

It cleard my memory problems completely as well as a lot of foggy brain stuff. Granted, the memory loss is creeping back, but, I don't think I did it long enough and I still had mega-co-infection problems going on which ws likely hindering completely erradicating lyme into remisison.

Give it a try. It really is one of the best in the lyme arsenal.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 11 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red man syndrome of to make you turn 'red ' from flushing. I was in the er with a 106 fever and the nurse left vanco wide open, luckily I had been on it before and did not react.

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement