LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anal spasm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anal spasm
jess22
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, for those of you who have had them - WTH?? How do you deal with them especially at night? Are they linked to Lyme or not?

I'm thinking its maybe because I'm not getting enough fiber-Ihave a new thread on that.

They're painful but I have them so rarely so don't want to see my doctor. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I've never heard anyone else mention these, but it does happen to me. I think it is lyme related, along with all the other twitching. Mine only happens occasionally. Weird.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've seen it or read. It has to be on this site. amk33, have you posted about it? Because there could be more postings about it.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

hmm I did a search and couldn't find anything.
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into Bart.

Bart damages/attaches to the nerves that run down there.

It also (over time) shuts down the peristalsis motion in the body. hence the constipation and GI issues with Bart.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a lyme friend who gets them. She takes valium when it happens. Not a lot you can do, I don't think. Sounds very painful.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into pinworms/threadworms. The female comes out at night from the anus to lay eggs. Parasites/worms can play a big part as a co-infection in Lyme.

Do a search on google and here at Lymenet at the search bar at the top.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
talk about a pain in the butt!!! yep, i've got them....

along with poop on cart handles and a leaky bladder.

don't make me laugh....i pee...........

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

Thank you all..
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randi, you bad bad girl [lol] [lol]

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these occassionally too. It hurts!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Gael as well

Parasites!

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

Wow I never really thought about parasites. I know my PCP would laugh at that.. so how do you start traeting them? Is there a previous thread on this I could refer to?

I'm interested!!

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm, what about humaworm? would that work??

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type parasites into search bar at the top and you should come up with a lot of info. Also do a search on google for parasite symptoms.

Humaworm is good, but the key to treat parasites is to stay on them for at least 6 mos or longer.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

jess, randi and I weren't making fun of your problem because the last few days we've had poop and pee threads.

I've had other issues in that area and I've certainly had spasms in many other areas and they are painful and scarey.

But to have them anally would be tough. I hope it's easy to find answers.

We're not crazy. It's real for us.

Pam

--------------------

map1131
Member # 2022

I put colon spasm in search and found the thread. It was from '09. Someone had anal spasm during periods. Found many threads on colon spasms.

I couldn't copy and paste the thread. Will try again.

Pam

--------------------

jess22
Unregistered

@glm1111 & @randibear- thanks for your input.

@map1131- no offence taken I assure you, we come here for all kinds of support and its good to laugh at some of our 'weirder' sx.. I'll look forward to your info..thanks!

Glassgal
Member # 668

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glassgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Proctalgia Fugax is an uncontrolled spasm or contraction of the muscles in the rectal area and pelvis. The cause is not known."

It is known as a "charlie horse" of the rectum. I've had these and it is very painful. I have found sitting on a warm microwaveable heating pad helps.

Ellen

Posts: 25 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Well I'm sure jess wants charlie and his horse to move on. I would think detox warm/hot epsom salts baths would also calm them down.

That what I have to do when my hemorroids go wacko. They shrink with heat. I'm not buying creams and suppoitories anymore.

Essential oils like myrrah or frankincense mixed with coconut oil is the best remedy I've found in 5 yrs.

Pam

--------------------

wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, this is pretty wild, but go with me on this....

My sister has been getting charlie horses in the rectum and her doctor recommended that she use an Albuterol inhaler to stop them in their tracks!

Of course, I laughed and asked which end to use the inhaler on.... [Big Grin]

She said she inhaled two puffs of the stuff and it worked! And, no, she doesn't have asthma, just these awful rectal cramps! The Albuterol is a vaso-restrictor...

I'm just sayin....

Good luck with it!

wiserforit2

Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

You guys are funny... [Smile]

Thx for all your input/suggestions. Make sense.. will mention the 'inhaler' story to my doctor.

@map111-sounds like the three wise men--where in the world does one buy frankinsense and myrrah (don't think I've ever spelled those in my life)- I'm more interested in their aroma (maybe to calm me down??) than where you put them... [Smile]

D Bergy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to people without Lyme, so it may be difficult to pin it down to any particular infection.

I have had this all my life, on occasion. I even named it "The Vice Grip".

If you think this thread is a little off color, you should visit a Crohn's Disease forum sometimes.

One thread recently was named "More stuff up my butt". This is tame by comparison.

I have no solution to this condition, but it will just about put me on the floor when it happens.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Essential oils 101:

When I started buying these oils I told myself if it was good enough for baby Jesus, then it has to be good for me.

Those 3 men were called "wise".......!!!!!!!

You can buy oils on line or Whole Foods Stores, health food stores, herb stores, look in your yellow pages.

I use oils for aroma in home. I became chemically sensitive to scents in candles and I like smell of oils used by some that did body work/therapy on me.

I bought a paperback book about oils. Each oil has different remedies. I started my oil buying with basics like lavender, myrrah, lemon, etc.

They are in .5fl oz bottles. $5-7 average. You use by the drop. Book helps with to do and not to do. I bought a diffuser, small ceramic bowl with place to combine water, oils and squirt of dish soap.

Beneath is a place to set tea candles (unscented), light and as water/oil get warm you have some wonderful aroma floating in your home.

Take sniff of oils before you buy. They have sniffer/tester bottles. Everyone has their own scents that appeal.

That's where I started and you won't believe the things I do with oils today. Don't have heart attack when you see price of frankincense.

Worth it's weight in gold!!!!!!!! A bottle will last me a year, because I go easy with it.

I change up my collection every 6 mths or so. I have 6 of my favorite. My daughter (32) thinks my oil basket on my kitchen counter is WEIRD.

Well until she's walked in my shoes, she really doesn't have a clue? In fact she's clueless and she thinks my "rife" machine and things I do to survive is voodoo.

She still thinks her friends are wiser than her mother. Oh, I don't know where I went wrong with this child???? Not because she doesn't agree with me about so much in life, but she's so naive. So closed minded. LHMP.

Pam

--------------------

lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've had them a long time and never related them to lyme

i would not have known how to describe them but you guys are doing a good job

i almost only get one at a time...am scared i won't survive it but when i do i forget about it.

i have so many things that bother me a lot i just haven't gotten around to dealing with this one

for quite a few yrs i got a similar "cramp" in my abdomen. this one scared me...it would happen more often and for a longer time and i did not know how to move to stretch it out

i think i used to take more mag and the episode would calm down

it has been a long while since that happened...it might have been a certain way i moved that set it off

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

ok, in all seriousness, they dang well hurt. and you're right, they are very hard to describe to someone who's never had them. i'd say it's like being kicked up the rectum.

i've been treating candida and it's gotten better. but i've only had these the last year or so, so i'm betting lyme.

--------------------

gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a weird question.....but does albuterol help with bell's palsy off the gut. I have that.....and the nerves are not wired right....sometimes they are in spasm or sometimes there is just nothing going on.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

Good info all, even a few chuckles... [Smile]

@gatorade girl-maybe posting a separate thread you might get more people to respond? I can relate-my gut is all messed up too.

Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How funny is it (not at all, really) that I was thinking of posting about this this morning because I had one of the worst cases of spasms I've ever had today.

Mine seem to always come after a BM, and usually they're just around the rectal area, but today it seemed to be all over my lower abdominal region.

Along with the spasms in the rectal area, I had what almost felt like period cramps, but much worse.

Scared the heck out of me for about an hour.

I took some Advil, and it eventually went away.

Now if I could just get my air hunger to let up...

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jess22
Unregistered

@Starfall-we must be twins-same thing here. Must be this *#@# of an illness. Many seem to relate, glad it died down but it IS scary. Feel better..
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Jess. You too.

As bad as my air hunger is at the moment, I almost--ALMOST--wish the spasms would come back.

Of course, maybe I'm having spasms in my chest...

Posts: 303 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Star, don't ask for too much now. You know how it goes. Spasms quite possible anywhere on body with this stuff.

Have you ruled out anxiety attack? I had no clue when I first had an anxiety attack. Scared the heck out of me.

I didn't have a life of weird things before. I used to be fairly normal person. Sometimes I'm still normal just not for very long periods. lol

I'm so glad it only strikes me maybe 4 times a year. I just had one about 2 weeks ago and it still scares me because the first thing that comes to my mind is heart trouble?

They are just out of the blue. No more anxiety than any other day or time. Bam. Xanax immediately and laying down and in 30 minutes, gone like nothing is wrong.

Early on I remember wondering about air hunger, but I have/had no lung, respitory issues or anything that fits with it.

--------------------

jess22
Unregistered

@Starfall- I hear ya. I've had the exact same thing you describe and it has landed me in the ER several times. Google "MS hug"- it's the closest thing to describe that horrible band around your chest ... trust me I feel your pain, I've been there.
Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Thanks Jess and Map.

I have thought about panic attacks, but I've had those, and this is TOTALLY a different feeling. Of course who knows, maybe it's just manifesting differently right now.

Can't do Xanax--that actually landed me in the hospital once. When I take ANYTHING like that it either launches me into a worse state of panic or practically puts me into cardiac arrest.

I try Benadryl to settle me down and/or Advil in case it's inflammation. Sometimes one or the other works, sometimes nothing wirks.

Knock on wood, today I don't ffeel too bad. yet.

Starfall
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26795

Just read about the MS hug.

So they say it may have something to do with the little muscles in between the ribs---I've also had what feels like costochondritis around my sternum and all around my ribcage. I wonder if these are related?

jess22
Unregistered

You're welcome Starfall. these were neve panic attacks for me either because I know what panic feel like. This is different- very different. I had to get off the meds I was on at the time and detox better. That helped a lot. Take care!
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thought i'd bring this back up after what happened yesterday

i have been having gi problems for awhile-they got real bad yesterday and doc sent me for ultrasound of pelvis and abd

during th part where the insturment is inside i went into the anal spasm pain

i was never able to tell when or why they came or went so i thought this was interesting

all i know is bladder infection is rules out and doc suspects diverticulitis---

will get results in next few days

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement