LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is oxycondone liquid different than pills?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is oxycondone liquid different than pills?
w0tm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13104

Icon 1 posted      Profile for w0tm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is difference between oxycodone liquid and tablets?

After 15 years and $400,000 battling Lyme I have given up at age 64. I am now just treating the symptoms which for me is fatigue and extreme aches and stiffness over most of my body. I was taking Oxycodone 20 mg liquid only when pain became unbearable.

The sole mfr of the liquid form has stopped manufacturing it but still makes pills. I have tried their pills before but they have no effect on me. No one knows why. I am trying their pills again but they do nothing for aches only giving me diarrhea.

The aching (more all over aches and joint stiffness like the worst case of flu) is becoming unbearable. Seldom do I have specific localized pain. Just extreme aching.

My doctor is unwilling to prescribe morphine which I know works as I've had it in hospitals. He just tells me "you're finally at the end of the road". Early on, hydrocodone Norco (10 mg) took enough of the edge off to make it through life. Now it does very little.

I rarely sleep due to the aching, sweating and other effects of Lyme. Does anyone know why liquid of the same drug works (cuts aching by 50 to 80% for a few hours) but pills (both immediate and time release) do nothing to relieve me from this life stopping 24/7 aching?

I spend my days sitting in a chair unable to concentrate to read or watch TV with the overpowering aching, joint stiffness and weakness. My one question is have others experienced liquid oxycodone working but pill form doing nothing? Have any doctors had guesses as to why?

Any other comments would be appreciated. Thank you very much for reading. I will respond to all comments.

Gary in Kansas

Posts: 133 | From Shawnee, KS | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about any differences, but it may mean your system is not absorbing it well due to the binders, or the state of your digestion. You could try grinding the pills up before taking them, but beware that some forms of oxy pills are made with special additives and binders that inactivate the drug if crushed, part of the way of making them less easy to abuse. It is unfortunate that some people have to suffer due to others irresponsibilitiy.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken oxycodone ir for four years. Some manafactuers do not work on me while others do. I think this has to do to inactive ingredients. By law genetics have a 15% margin of error so the same strength medication may be less or more than the prescribed dose.

I am sure the liquid also absorbs quicker and therefore works faster. You could crush the pills as long as it is oxy ir, this is not oxy er or oxycontin. Crushing oxy er or oxycotin could kill you because crushing releases the entire dose at one time. Ask your doctor and I am sure they would know. Sorry to hear that your fight is over.

Take care and God bless,
Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take oxycodone. I dont think there would be much of a difference other than form. I have heard some brands work better for some people, i cant tell any difference. Also if you start asking for special brands you might get labeled as a drug seeker, but thats just my opinion.
Something that worked great for me was fentanyl patches.

I really didnt realize how much they were helping until i came off of them because i found out i was pregnant. What a difference. I used the patches and then oxycodone for breakthrough pain.

The patches give you round the clock coverage. You use on patch usually every 72 hours. I found on day 3 it wore off so i changed mine every 48. I did have to request a specific maker necause i was allergic to the adhesive in one brand. The thinf with fentanyl, it is strong stuff. I never felt out of it though. It did take 5 weeks to wean off of, but i had no withdrawls doing it over 5 weeks.

I tried cold turkey and that was very very bad!!!

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement