LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » kidney pain? what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kidney pain? what to do?
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this morning I have had bad pain when I urinate and even in between in my back where my kidneys are. It feels even worse while I am going to the bathroom.

I am not sure what is causing it or why> Never had this type of pain before. I am only on omnicef for many weeks now and supplements.

I am drinking a ton of water and green tea but the more I drink, the more I have to go and it pains. I also have a bad headache I cannot seem to get over for days.

Any suggestions to help this issue. I want to have a nice mom's day tomorrow without being in pain with my girls around again. I can see the fear in their face so gotta get well for a day.

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have bad pain you need a culture sent in
- can be done at urologist or ER. Takes some days to have it back, so get it done immediately with morning urine.

Maybe you need to switch to another abx depending on which bug shows up in the culture.

Remember also parasites can cause these problems.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to ask my llmd about parasites..he has never mentioned it to me at all?

Now I have to hang on till monday for a urine test I guess. I finally have an appt tues with a neuro lyme doc in columbia U to check on my brain lesions and spine shocks. Maybe she can run a urine test for me while I am there.

Should I drink more water or less?

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is your back sensitive to the touch? Hurt when jolted like walking?

Do you have a fever?

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Yes Laura my back hurts to touch and moving and goin to the bathroom. I dont even own a thermo to take my temperature.

This is weird, never had this in my life. I am very nauseous too.

--------------------

rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also suggest having your liver checked. Liver inflammation symptoms can include pains (although not usually in the area you describe), pretty severe headache, fever, and nausea/lack of appetite. You can also feel extreme fatigue.

I am certainly not a doctor, but it sounds like something that should be looked into.

Good luck with it!

Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbh93
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbh93     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've never had an abdominal scan (at least ultrasound), it is probably now a good idea. I hope you have a wonderful mother's day and can get an answer soon.

--------------------
------------
It took 20 years to find out I'm not crazy.
New bite in 2010 pushed my body over the edge. Positive for lyme, babs, bart, and myco.
I am not a doctor and happily offer only my own opinions.

Posts: 357 | From The Beach | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DKat
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DKat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had something like this awhile ago. I push water & cranberry juice. (I read a post here that D Mannose helps, too, and want to try that but haven't yet.)

Agree with sbh, doc ordered a CAT of kidneys & changed my abx to Ceftin to help with UTI (he did urine sample 1st). He said Bactrim would be better, but I've had issues with that abx.

This did help me....but I agree with the others who say check with a doc quickly. This kind of pain is awful!!

Praying for you to get relief & be healed...

--------------------
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help.

Posts: 338 | From NEPA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to drink a lot and go to ER for the culture and get another abx, maybe amoxy or bactrim.

You cannot wait - you need morning urine to send in, ask for the sterile box to bring it back.
Time is very important with kidney infections.

Gadolinium is toxic, MRI or Cat is not a choice
immediately.

Annier start parasite treatment asap the infection is over , doc will not know it is all so new, just do it and save the money for the testing, it is most of the time wrong.

Dr. K only treats after parasite treatment and he is right.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had this while treating babesia. She took a product called Kidny by New Roots. It's a combination of supportive herbs for the kidneys. The pain was gone within days. You can get this at most places that carry New Roots products.

http://www.healthmart2000.com/item535.htm

Specifications:
Uva Ursi Traditional uses:
Uva ursi is used to treat urinary tract infections, cystitis (bladder inflammation), and kidney stones
During urination, as it passes out of the body, it acts on the mucus membranes of the urinary tract to soothe irritation, reduce inflammation, and fight infection.
Buchu Leaves Traditional uses:
Buchu Leaf ids in the elimination of debris, mucus, and uric acid from the kidneys. It also soothes and strengthens the urinary system and is useful for prostate problems.
Parsley Traditional Uses:
Parsley Teas have been used mainly as kidney stone, bladder infection, and jaundice medications, as well as digestive aids.
Ginger root Traditional Uses:
It expels cold, relieves nausea and "clear away" toxic matter.
Helpful to soothe and protect inflamed mucous membranes and other tissues. Help Support Kidny function.
Junniper Berry Traditional Uses:
The traditional use of juniper is as a diuretic and to treat conditions of the bladder or kidneys.

[ 05-08-2011, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: lululymemom ]

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read here:

www.christopherhobbs.com

www.healthy.net

Do subject search "Kidney stones" or "urinary calculi" or "Gravel"

Make sure you get this properly diagnosed! Very, very important. Go right away, don't wait! Sounds like it needs treatment the sooner the better to avoid it getting worse. Don't worry about your daughters tomorrow, you will be better able to be there for them if you take care of *you*, first!

If this turns out to be kidney stones, or whatever the diagnosis, follow doc's advice.

For adjunct support, see Linda Rector Page ND's book Healthy Healing, has very good page of bullet points about it (lots of info on one page) this is a reference book in healthfood stores

Stonebreaker by HerbPharm is well formulated

Corn silk, hydrangea root, parsley, nettle leaves, cleavers and buchu all support kidneys and bladder

Caution with juniper berries, for short term use only, long term can irritate the kidneys

Corn silk is very important support anytime there is inflammation in the area, to coat and soothe linings

Dandelion leaf (not the root) can be good diuretic, replaces some of the excreted potassium

Lots and lots and lots of water, water, water!
Use filtered only, very important! Chlorine and chemicals may dry out and irritate kidneys

Read about all these herbs on the websites above, highly trustworthy information/sources and very science based (the best of it)

Avoid dietary oxalates (spinach, rhubarb, more, google it)

If cysts, try a warm castor oil pack on the painful area, keep on for at least half an hour (cover with dry cloth, drape with plastic, it will stain caution) if heat causes pain then use room temperature, listen to your body. Castor oil packs can help inflammation and pain a lot, in my experience (never get these anymore, not for 25 years since clearing Candida infection)

Check for Candida infection, address diet, really good water filter absolutely important www.multipure.com

Again make sure to get this properly diagnosed, very important

Don't expect this to go away overnight,as your doctor about prognosis

This is for adjunct support

Best wishes,
CI

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

uva ursi is good but it does not work for all kinds of bacteria - a culture is standard.

Corn silk is longterm protection, you should take it for years to protect the kidney.

The castor pack is great but can make your pain a lot worse.

An acute infection has to be treated immediately otherwise it will come back again and be chronic.
Bugs multiply every hour.

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Hi Karen
Did you actually experience increased pain from using castor oil pack? If yes I would be interested to know, and in what context this occurred. My own experience has been exactly the opposite, but we are all different. Castor oil packs have anti-inflammatory action and aid the break-up of cysts.

As for corn silk, you are right that to support the kidneys it needs to be taken longterm. That said, if there are kidney stones involved, the mucillage from the corn silk can be helpful in soothing any irritated linings, and is often used in this context. Marshmallow root alongside it could be helpful too.

When mixed in with other stone breaking herbs.

Again this is only for adjunct support and for smaller gravel, if present.

I absolutely agree that a physician's intervention is required regardless.

Best wishes, CI

[ 05-09-2011, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: chiquita incognita ]

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that you have gone into see a doctor. It really sounds as if you could have a kidney infection!...

I had a double kidney infection two years ago, and they are not fun.

Let us know how you are doing.

*Hugs*

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidney infections involve pain as you describe and the nausea.

I do hope you saw a dr today.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Thank you all. I did not get in to see my llmd. He had no openings today? I have an appt with a lyme neurologist tomorrow at columbia to look at my mri and brain lesions. I am going to ask her about the pain.

I did not know that Columbia even had a lyme center so it will be new to me. The pain is coming and going..very strange and I have a major headache for days now.

I am drinking tons of water and cranberry juice. I have cipro in the house but I am so afraid to take another abx in fear of a herx of some kind. It is weird that we use to look for abx to help us feel better..now we fear them since we know that we will feel worse instead!!

Thank you all..will let you konw what she says tomrrow..

--------------------

chiquita incognita
Unregistered

We'll be thinking of you!
Best wishes, CI

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting us know. Good luck with your appointment!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement