LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » is it safe to do birth control with this disease?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it safe to do birth control with this disease?
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realized i wont stop bleeding. The Dr thinks its because i came off the depo shot in Oct. So my hormones are going crazy.. I want to go back on birth control to see if that will help me from bleeding EVERYDAY.. the more i bleed the more "out of it" i feel.. Is it safe to do with lyme disease?

--------------------
Neuro-Lyme (possible bart)
Symptoms started Jan 2011::Diagnosed Feb 11th,2011::
*Anything is possible thru God who strengthens me*

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme seems to do something that puts the endocrine glands "out of whack."

It's very bad for your health to have continuous menstrual bleeding, as losing blood like that means your red cell count goes down and also the red cells that are left do not have enough iron.

When red blood cells don't have enough iron, they are not able to transport enough oxygen from the lungs to the individual muscle and nerve cells.

Oxygen is vital to the cells to make energy, to work and to heal.
You will be more fatigued, and your brain cells will not make enough energy to function well.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chiquita incognita
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Carol
The question is: Is it safe *not* to stop the bleeding? Some things are dangerous. Take care of it and you will be okay.

And please a) ask to be checked for fibroids, see your obgyn immediately b) If those and all else is ruled out, then please see an endocrinologist, right away (or do what your doctor tells you to do, of course).

You'll probably need to supplement with iron and B 12 until your blood levels come back up. You take good care of yourself, all will be okay. We'll be routing for you! :-)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started taking birth control in 2008 for the opposite reason, this disease made me stop bleeding! As nice as skipping my period sounds, hormonal imbalance causes all sorts of problems. because lyme disease can cause mini hormone imbalances, make sure you have your doctor run blood tests to check your hormone levels.

If you start taking birth control again you may notice other symptoms improving besides constant bleeding. Make sure you tell your doctor if you have any adrenal problems because certain types of birth control can be dangerous to take if your adrenals are not functioning right.

I do not know your activity level, but birth control pills can also increase your risk of developing a blood clot. If your on antibiotics birth control is less effective so you may have to use a backup method if you are sexually active. I know you said you were previously on the shot but because you are now sick and imbalanced you may respond differently then you did before.

You might want to take something that does not last as long as depo because 3 months can be a very long time! I hope you're able to find some relief soon. I hope you feel better soon.

Take care and God bless ,

Lindsay

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole2011
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole2011     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all, maybe starting birth control will help some symptoms

--------------------
Neuro-Lyme (possible bart)
Symptoms started Jan 2011::Diagnosed Feb 11th,2011::
*Anything is possible thru God who strengthens me*

Posts: 775 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be aware that taking abx and birth control makes the birth control not effective. I mean you will get the hormones, but you could still get pregnant so you need another method to prevent getting pregnant.
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to read this.

http://sites.google.com/site/virginialyme/pregnancy-lyme/female-horm

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The depo shot (from friends experiences only) I've heard is really ...whacky. My friend gained 40 lbs on that. I'm sure it differs for different people like anything else. But maybe you could try a different kind of birth control?

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bashibazouks
Member # 28286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bashibazouks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I knew I had Lyme, I was on birth control for years (I stopped when I started antibiotic treatment last year). I've had Lyme since I was a baby, and my symptoms got MUCH better after I started the pill, for whatever reason.

--------------------
Currently infected with Lyme, Babesia, Ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Mycoplasma, & Q-fever.

10 months into treatment, currently on Bicillin, Rocephin, Doxy, Biaxin, and Mepron.

Posts: 87 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement