LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » episode of low blood sugar or what??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: episode of low blood sugar or what??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we just got back from chili's. i had a power drink for breakfast and a few almonds today. so busy i didn't eat.

so he was gone from a trip and came home and we went out. i had a few sips of unsweetened tea and all of a sudden i started sweating like crazy. i thought i was going to pass out. i was nauseous and weak. it sounded like he was talking from a tunnel and my side vision got blurry. i felt like i was "slipping" into unconsciousness. i told him we had to come home NOW. luckily we live about two blocks from the chili's.

i was sweating profusely from the neck, arms and knees. my hands were clammy and he said he could see my color just drained. my forehead and hair was wet.

what the heck happened? as soon as we got home i ate part of the salar and had a little tea. i'm still really sick to my stomach but feeling a little better.

my mom was diabetic and it sounded like some of the stuff that happened to her. but i'm not diabetic...er at least i've never been tested, not for many years.

hubs said it was low blood sugar. i've been following the candida diet really strict. could it have been that?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very possibly low blood sugar...a fasting glucose test would be good to get next time you have labs drawn.

For managing low blood sugar:

Every meal should contain protein.

Sugar should be avoided in all forms.

Eat a high-protein snack every 2 hours between meals to keep blood sugar levels stable.

If you must eat something with sugar in it, be sure to include protein and fiber with the sugar-containing item to help blunt the effects of the sugar on insulin release & blood sugar levels.

Supplements that may help with blood sugar management include chromium and alpha lipoic acid.

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a low blood sugar attack to me.

I find about 4 oz. of apple juice will pull me out of an attack. Just had one last night--woke up out of a sound sleep at 3:20 a.m. with racing heart, sweating, horrible shaking, nauseous, etc. Really scary--especially since my husband was away and I had to navigate to the kitchen to get the juice. Thought I was going to pass out on my way to the fridge.

Don't know what was in your salad, but if you didn't have any protein (like chicken), you need to do that. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for another attack.

I know how it is when you're busy, but it's not good to skip meals--our bodies have enough problems with the Lyme and co-infections, they don't need sugar fluctuations too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the chicken caribbean salad and iced tea.

i've been avoiding sugar like crazy. so how can we have sugar during an attack like this, if we have candida and are trying to do the diet?

or would just that little bit not hurt?

i think i'll call tomorrow and set up an appointment just to get it checked out.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're having a severe hypoglycemic episode, don't worry about candida, eat what you need to bring your blood sugar up ASAP. Orange juice, apple juice, candy bar, whatever it takes.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure sounds like low blood sugar. i have diabetes, and even we NEED carbs. If you feel like you have low blood sugar, eat some carbs (i want to say 15g but not sure) and or drink fruit juice.

You might want to get a glucometer just to have.

But yes you need some carbs/ sugar. If i dont my glucose is in the 50's. Anything under 70 generally makes you feel bad. You might want to check your bp too.

Feel better

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep something to eat in your purse at all times. Something with carbs sugar. Being on a candida diet isnt going to help if you fall over! Worried about you!
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

oh great, this is all i need. can diabetes be heritary? hmm, what kind of snack in the purse? your mean like a snickers or something?

i really know squat about this...

--------------------

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can have hypoglycemic episodes without being diabetic. I am 63 and have had low blood sugar attacks since my 20's. I've never been diabetic. I believe my hypoglycemia is caused by Lyme and coinfections. Some drugs will worsen the hypoglycemia, like Toprol, for instance.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had issues with low blood sugar also. What helps me is to eat something light every three hours or so to keep my blood sugar stable. My doctor advised me to never let myself get hungry. This has helped a lot. I generally do not eat white flour products, sugar, or processed foods which can cause blood sugar to fluctuate.

I agree with merrygirl about keeping something to eat in your purse. This way you always have something if you get stuck somewhere or if you feel weak. I always carry a protein bar and/or some nuts.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely sounds like low blood sugar, ever since LD symptoms started I ve had the same thing. If I go too long start getting the anxiety, racing heart, dizzy spells, feel like I losing control of conciousness. Like everyone else is saying try and stay real aware of it and eat regularly.

For me with a fast metabolism to begin with, long before LD. I have to snack pretty constant, and have a small ( substantial) meal every 2 - 3 hours. It gets to be a pain but I always know if I ve forgotten, unfortunately it hits sometimes at very inoppurtune moments.

Like everyone said if you eat carbs make sure their complex, whole grain etc. Personally I dont buy the whole no sugar at all though, I eat fruits ( lower sugar ones ) all the time and its fine provided I have some protein around the same time, just avoid the really heavy sugar stuff, thats what the endochronologist said anyway.

Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep I have the same thing happening almost daily now. The problem with me is that I can no longer recognize when I'm hungry and since I'm nauseous most of the time I don't want to eat. And then BAM! out of the blue I get the attack.

So now my LLMD put me on high quality lean protein shake which I HATE!! But she said I have to eat small meals containing protein every 2-3 hours regardless if I'm hungry or now. And I must cut out all foods grown under ground due to high Glycemic Index which can cause my blood sugar to spike too quickly. This can also make me feel very ill. Darn Lyme Diease!! I was tested and I am not a diabetic either.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea I almost forgot to mention that earlier, I was tested as well and have totally normal fasting blood sugar. Its something about crashing out during the day when I m active, after sleep and inactivity I m mostly fine, though feel a little "off" in the morning.
Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not diabetic, but I do tend to get the rollercoaster blood sugars as well. I keep a blood glucose monitor at home to keep a check on things.

I have noticed the last few weeks that on the days I have gotten my Bicillin shots that I have had a blood sugar crash.

A good idea would be to keep a bag of nuts in your purse for when you can't stop to eat a meal.

I keep a fruit and nut bar (granola type) in my purse for when I feel myself crashing.

Instead of a snickers bar that will mealt, you could keep a payday bar (not sure if they make mini bars) in your purse and car. My dad who is diabetic keeps payday bars in both of his vehicles for when his blood sugar crashes

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coffee71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coffee71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make 1-1.5L of green tea daily(use green tea leaf not bags) and sweeten with good quality honey.
This keeps my blood sugar in check.

Posts: 191 | From va | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

you're not to believe this, well, maybe knowing doctors the way we do, you will.

i called dr. for appointment this morning and she asked why. i described my symptoms, told her mom was diabetic, and i thought it was a low blood sugar attack and i needed to get tested.

she said very testily "well you don't have any proof that it was low blood sugar. you really should let a doctor determine that before you go off half cocked."....WHAT???? then she said "well i'll have to talk to his nurse and see if if we CAN make an appointment for you. but he's extremely busy and it won't be for a week or so."

i felt like excuse me, i'm sick...and he's busy i know, but damn,you just made me feel like total crap....

so she comes back on and says snottily "well i was right, kim says not this week. it will have to be next week, on thursday at 11. can you do that?"

i said yes, but i was so po'd. i'll go but i think this may be my last visit....

ggrrr.....

--------------------

Laura_W
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31491

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura_W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

RUDE!!!

[cussing]

--------------------
10/10 EIA 1.4+, 41 (IGG), 23 (IGM)
Bitten over 20 years ago.
Currently not treating, looking for a Dr who will work with my insurance lol.

More muscular, cognitive, nerve issues than joints. Facial droop and blurred vision.

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Thats really rude! Ahhh!

I am definitely not an expert on food/diet but i believe protein in general does not make your blood sugar go up. I could eat protein all day and my glucose will be low.

So i personally wouldnt use nuts to rescue you, but i could be wrong about that.

I keep pbutter crackers in my purse. If i could go to the store myself, i would probably get some candy to keep in there.

You dont need diabetes to have low blood sugar. But with your moms history, and the way you feel, its good to get checked. You are on bp meds right?

Some meds mask the symptoms of low blood sugar. I take propranolol which is the worst offender, and my doc really didnt want me on insulin and propranolol. But i coudnt tolerate a diff betablocker.

gryphon78
Member # 31930

I personally keep a few fruit leathers in my car, theres some good natural ones called stretch island, Basically like all natural fruit roll ups. That or theres always the little packs of glucose tabs they make for diabetics, I have a couple packs of those laying around too.

Either way if you get to the point of needing those make sure you dont waste too much time before getting something more substantial in you ! I ve made that mistake a couple times, the sugar stuff helps but only for a 20 or 30 minutes, then you crash worse than before.

LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Merrygirl is right about the bp meds masking low blood sugar symptoms. In addition, beta blockers (such as toprol and inderal) can actually raise or lower your blood sugar.

In my case, I was put on a beta blocker because I kept having these middle of the night heart racing/shaking episodes and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Thanks to Keebler and others here, I figured out they were hypoglycemia attacks. When I called my cardiologist to tell her that I thought the problem was low blood sugar, she confirmed that beta blockers are known for causing blood sugar issues. So it turns out that what they thought would help me was contributing to the problem!

I carry glucose tablets in my purse in case of emergency. I got them at CVS, but I'm sure you can get them at any drug store or even Wal-Mart. As gryphon 78 points out, though, if you need to take sugar to pull yourself out of a low, you need to follow up with protein (I often use cashews or almonds if it's the middle of the night) within a short time to avoid another crash.

Also, through my reading I have found that a hypoglycemia attack will cause your magnesium levels to decline, so be sure to supplement with magnesium. Low magnesium levels can also contribute to hypoglycemia.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

i'm on diovan and nadolol for high blood pressure and elavil to let me sleep. nothing else.

--------------------

payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was finding myself shaking and vertigo about 1pm
ever afternoon a couple of weeks back, untill I moved my lunch time back to noon instead of 1pm..
My sugar levels were monitored by me with test strips about last aug. 10 as I was being found positive for Lyme ..my self testin was around 116
so, to eliminate sugar as a added problem.
As my lab works for the past 30 yrs had me at high limit sugar (140)....
I maintain it with exersise, diet, etc.
until now, I understand that with chronic lyme comes a slowly increasing level for sugar,
I gave in to my reg/MD and am now on
GLUCOPHAGE 500 and i don't like it...
believe me no constipation problems for the first
few days.. slowly getting this new med to adjust.
I do think I am calmer now.

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/nadolol.html

�Diabetes patients- Nadolol may hide signs of low blood sugar, such as a rapid heartbeat. Be sure to watch for other signs of low blood sugar. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/diovan-hct.html
�Diovan HCT may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.

merrygirl
Member # 12041

glucophage was really hard to get used to.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement