LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Please help....not doing well

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help....not doing well
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taking malarone, amoxy and doxy, and doing ok. Sunday I switched to mepron, biaxin and amoxy, per my LLMD.

I feel horrible today-I am having nausea, stomach spasms where I dry heave and just feel awful. I can't eat, which has always been a problem..I have gastroparesis from the lyme. But is much worse these past few days.

LLMD said to ramp up slowly, or go back to previous protocol

I felt I was turning the corner 2 weeks ago-now I feel i'm nosediving

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear your not doing well. Hang in there!!!!
Posts: 200 | From Nevada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long were you taking the previous protocol for?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 months-LLMD thought we'ld try mepron to knock out the babesia
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not back off the mepron a bit? Not medical advice .. just what I would do if it were me.

Babesia causes nausea.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcaringella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcaringella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang in there if you can. When I added the mepron and rifampin for the babs is when I got violently ill with vomiting and then I got better. Feeling awful is a sign you're killing the bugs. If you can endure it, try to. I literally thought I was going to die from that last herx. Then I was healed. Pray for strength and stay focused on hope we have in Jesus. Its a battle, but together we can get thru it. Feel free to contact me if you have specific prayer requests. I would love to be here for you.

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Posts: 141 | From Southern California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herx?? keep it up, may mean it is working!

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never went on artemisisin? I wonder why LLMD didn't get you on that. From what I've done (and read about), it's amoxy, then ramp up Mepron, and then at two months start artemisisin. My LLMD changed my amoxy to biacin.

Sorry you are not doing well.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are just more sensitive to certain drugs genetically , may not be herxing !

[Frown]

Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs does cause nausea but so does elevated liver enzymes.. are you doing regular labs?

Considering Mepron must be taken with high fat (23g) I don't see how you are going to keep this down if it is not agreeing with you. I would have stayed on the Malarone..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD would say back up. Don't push through a herx. Go back to your old protocol. Malarone did wonders for me. It's a good drug.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

I am doing monthly labs.

I get these horrible stomach spasms. I think I'll go back on the malarone

RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dont rule out the Biaxin. made me really sick, I have been able to take pretty much everything but that.
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you changed both malarone and doxy at the same that was the first mistake.

Hubby has learned this lesson well -- only change one med or supplement at once and then wait at least 5 days or maybe even a couple of weeks before making the 2nd change. Otherwise you have no idea which med is the problem or if either one is helping.

I would switch back to your original meds and wiat a couple of weeks to stabilize before trying to make any changes.

The dry heaves is a big issue for hubby. Unfortunately he has had to go back on oral phenergan around the clock. The herbals just aren't strong enough while he is treating babs.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just learned that a doctor's suggestion is a suggestion. The LLMD I seen for 2 yrs was such a firm believer in starting one new thing at a time.

He also said start real slow until you see how your body is going to react to something. He also would stress do not try to tough out a bad herx reaction.

He didn't believe in going into the pit of herx he!! and sucking it up. He always said, start slow, know what is causing you to react badly by taking one new med for a week-10 days, add the next new drug in.

If it too much for you, either take a break period from or cut way back and start over to try to build yourself up.

But in your situation you aren't sure which is kicking your tail or what is causing the vomiting and nausea.

This LLMD believed you could put yourself in a place of no return by doing too much or too fast and going into herx he!!.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beths - Just wanted to say sorry you are feeling so bad on the new drugs and hope it's a better day on Friday.
Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoxerMom
Member # 25251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoxerMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you give us more info on how you did your med change?

If you took the Malarone, Amoxy, Doxy on Saturday, then switched to Mepron, Amoxy, Biaxin on Sunday, that is too fast of a switch.

Many of our meds have long half lives, which means they can still be clearing the bloodstream/tissues for several days after stopping. An abrupt change can mean having 5-6 meds on board, as some are still clearing and new ones are being added. That would give anyone nausea and dry heaves!

If you didn't, please consider stopping everything except Amoxy (the only one you are not changing), waiting 3-5 days, then adding in the new ones, one at a time. I wait 3-5 days to add in each new med. I have never had problems with nausea by doing it this way. It is the way my LL doc recommends.

Also, the nausea and dry heaves are big Babs symptoms. You may just be hitting your Babs too hard.

Don't give up on your new protocol. But try to ease your body into it.

Also, Biaxin is notorious for causing stomach upset. So watch for GI symptoms when you add that one.

You'll need to do some rule in/rule out here. But I know you can do it.

BoxerMom

--------------------
 - Must...find...BRAIN!!!

Posts: 2867 | From Pacific NW | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Thank you all-good suggestions

Med change

2 weeks ago, I cahanged from doxy/amoxy and malarone to biaxin-malarone and amoxy. oh, and I increased from 2 malarone day to 4.

I switched the malarone for the mepron Sun.

I have been waking up every morning around 6 with horrible nausea and then the dry heaves.

I stay nauseous thru most of the day. I've lost 18 lbs and I am only 5 feet.

I can't handle this much more

Bea-are your husbands dry heaves from Babesia?

[ 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: beths ]

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any successes on the above protocls?
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

I am now taking amoxy/biaxin/malarone and mepron

I feel a little better-my gastroparesis is pretty much gone. Still have a lot of nausea, but not all the time.

Most days I feel very tired, legs hurt and still have the POTS, which sucks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement