LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Fast heartbeat and anxiety!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fast heartbeat and anxiety!
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having a major breakdown in my life. Due to my move in europe from USA i am not happy with my life here.

I get panic attacks. I just checked my heartbeat while i am not even doing anything its 100! Does anyone have fast heart beating? My blood pressure is 100/70.

I get severe panic attack and anxiety in the classroom whenever my teacher picks on me to read something out loud. i have no confidence to do anything anymore.

I loose my voice, stutter and feel like my heart will explode!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sonee , I will be praying that God will give you peace and comfort in your new life , may your nerves be calmed and settled helping you to stay focused . God bless
Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When my anxiety was at its worst and I was having panic attacks my heart rate would jump to about 140. I had an EKG done once in the midst of a panic attack and I was beating away at 170. That didn't happen to often though. It was usually around 140.

For awhile there, my resting heart rate around 115-120 because I was so darn anxious all the time.

I do a lot of relaxation and mindfulness exercises. It has helped.

So sorry you're going through this.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Philly78

What exercises do you do that has helped?

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonee, Personally I use the whole breath through my nose slowly, and exhale fully through my mouth technique. It dosent fix eveything but it does seem to slow my heartrate.

Personally I know mine is tied to my LD, and has gotten better since begining treatment. Back in the begining HR was regularly 100 - 110 resting, now its normal 70 -80. Have you had any treatment or seen any relief

Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymesNotSweet
Member # 32089

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymesNotSweet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have the racing heart. Once in the ER it was @ 180 and had been for about 6 hours (hence the trip to the ER). I just checked my BP at the grocery store while strolling through, and my Pulse was at 101. I think that's way too high for just "strolling" through the store. We really need to do something about this. It SUCKS!!! Anyone with advice PLEASE

--------------------
I'm not a doctor, but I might as well be!

Posts: 23 | From Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium citrate and L-theanine..

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonee123:
Philly78

What exercises do you do that has helped?

Sorry I never replied!

I practice what is referred to as 7-11 breathing and 4-4-8 breathing. I usually do the 7-11 breathing at home but if I find myself getting anxious at work, I'll walk away and do the 4-4-8 breathing. It may sound silly but it really does help.

For the 7-11 breathing, I lay on the floor in my bedroom. I close my eyes and take a deep breath in through the nose while counting to 7. I then exhale through the nose again to a count of 11. This is actually kinda hard to do at first. I started out with 5 seconds in; 9 seconds out and worked my way up. The important thing is that you exhale longer than you inhale.

You can put your hand over your belly while breathing in. You want to feel your belly rise when doing so. You are supposed to be doing deep diaphragmatic breathing.

This should be practiced everyday. As I did, you can start out with counts of 5-9 or whatever is comfortable for you. Try to work your way up to counts of 7 and 11. This exercise helps to stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system which induces a relaxation response.

The 4-4-8 method is a quicker way for me to calm myself down from external stimuli that are making me anxious. I do this A LOT at work! Breath in for 4 seconds....hold your breath for 4 seconds...then breath out for 8 seconds.

Always breath in and out through your nose! Never the mouth. You can read HERE for info on that and can click on links in that blog.

I also have tried some of the exercises listed at this site.

http://www.the-guided-meditation-site.com/mindfulness-exercises.html

For me, a good amount of my anxiety came from the way I reacted to things and my faulty thought process.

Yes...my anxiety is always there and I still have problems with it. Changing the way I react to things has certainly helped.

I read and did all of the exercises in the book The Happiness Trap.

You can read some of the comments on Amazon and there is also a companion site for the book. I cannot say enough good things about this book. Here are the links for Amazon and the site I mentioned.

http://www.thehappinesstrap.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Trap-Struggling-Start-Living/dp/1590305841 Just click on customer reviews.

Wishing you luck! I hope you start feeling better soon.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonee123:

I get panic attacks.
I just checked my heartbeat while i am not even doing anything its 100!

I get severe panic attack and anxiety in the classroom...

Lyme can cause low magnesium in the muscle and nerve cells.
Low magnesium can cause anxiety, panic attacks, rapid heart rate.

Look into supplementing your magnesium, and eat foods high in magnesium.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety alone will cause your heart to beat faster its common knowledge. Try breathing from your belly.. not your chest. Also.. the more you dwell on it the worse it becomes. You need to be in control over it. I don't buy into the magnesium shyt.. just learn to relax.. not always do you need meds and all these supps to accomplish this. Mind over matter.
Posts: 129 | From West | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to 2nd the magnesium recommendation.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may have dysautonomia. It is not at all uncommon in lyme patients. It causes high pulse and low blood pressure. Heat triggers it and even standing can trigger it.

When I first got it my pulse would be 135 while I was sitting at my desk.

Search the archives for dysautonomia if you want more info.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also suffer from anxiety......my heart goes out to you, as it's so debilitating. moreso than the pain for me. I take xanax whenever i need to, it really helps for now.

I start off by cutting my pill in half, most times it takes the edge off. also i notice im a little better when im at least walking every day. sometimes i have too much pain and fatigue to do it, but it helps.

--------------------
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crx:

I don't buy into the magnesium shyt.. just learn to relax.. not always do you need meds and all these supps to accomplish this. Mind over matter.

I think you need to do a little research on magnesium deficiency in Lyme patients. I think that is quite an ignorant comment to make.

MAGNESIUM TREATMENT
Many Lyme disease patients experience symptoms that mimic magnesium deficiency. In 2003, a case report of magnesium deficiency with Lyme disease was reported in the Magnesium Research journal. See here. Symptoms of magnesium deficiency include muscle cramps and weakness, pain, fatigue and insomnia, confusion, heart problems and stress intolerance. Magnesium plays a very important role in energy production.

Magnesium deficiency is common amongst Lyme patients and also in the general population. The deficiency is often missed by physicians due to the reliance on serum tests instead of the magnesium levels within the red blood cells as well as signs and symptoms. To further complicate matters, the antibiotics used to treat Lyme disease can deplete magnesium and other important nutrients.

http://www.lymeinfo.net/magnesium.html

After an extensive review of the literature, Marnie at online forums has proposed the following treatment for chronic Lyme patients:

MAGNESIUM PROTOCOL:
- Magnesium Malate, approximately 200mg 6 times a day (every 2 hours).
- Sublingual B6, approximately 12mg with each magnesium dose.
- Selenium, approximately 12mcg with each magnesium dose.

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS:
- An immune booster such as "Host Defense" or beta glucans.
- Multiple vitamin and mineral supplementation
- A good alkalizing diet

It got me off of Beta Blockers that I was on for 8 years. It has literally turned my life around. I would have episodes of tachycardia that were so fast they wouldn't even register on the hospital monitering equipment. Don't tell me Magnesium doesn't work.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gryphon78
Member # 31930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gryphon78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m with Jennifer on the anxiety, my early symptoms of this horrible little disease where more horrible back and neck pain and occasional dizziness. Now that is mostly gone traded with very intense anxiety and depression the last few months.... The physical pain was SO much less debilitating than this...
Posts: 72 | From chico, ca | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not magnesium shyt to me. It's what works for me. It may not work for everyone, but that doesn't mean it has no value. I take it orally but I especially like my transdermal mag - works instantly.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement