LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Those Who Take Vitamin B12

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Those Who Take Vitamin B12
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did any of you experience what many term the "healing crisis" on B12 (either with the shots or taking it sublingually)?? I've been reading in the med journals and in general about people who cannot absorb B12 or who have pernicious anemia. Many of these people who are low in B12 actually feel worse (achey, more brain fog, sleepy) when they initiate B12 therapy.

I would think many lyme patients would react the same way. I've recently restarted the B12 and notice an increase in daytime sleepiness, increase in shooting nerves (like some of them are coming alive), and an increase in brain fog...

Has anyone else gone through this period of time (many say it lasts about a month)? If so, how long did you go through this before you felt better on the B12?????

Thanks so much for any answers....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't. I felt better right away.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD states that b-12 is like candy to the lil buggers , so it would make sense that they would become more active at that point . A thought of mine would be to take your ABX about an hour or so before b-12 , maybe , just maybe it will draw them out to be killed !? I get the same reaction with sugar , that I feel worse after eating it .
Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Hydroxy B12, this helps.
Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I'm not on abx anymore..I've been through all of the rotation protocol and decided to stop.....

It's mainly those with pernicious anemia (which i know I don't have) that seem to complain of feeling worse on B12 before they feel better....

I just learned recently that you can actually have pernicious anemia and be B12 deficient even if your B12 bloodwork is in the normal range...

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mattnapa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26414

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mattnapa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The debate about methylcobalamin as opposed to Cyancobalamin is probably worth noting. Methylcobalamin is a bit more of the new kid on the block and, according to some, better absorbed
Posts: 357 | From California | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the methyl-b12 sublingually. Never noticed anything from it particularly good or bad.
Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take sublingual B12 mostly because I am vegetarian and don't get enough of this vitamin in my diet. I have been on it for 2 months now with no problems.

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hadlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hadlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel great after a shot.... it's been my lifeline to feeling better.

I had been told years ago, that babs does 'eat' up our B12.... but never told that we feed it 'candy' by taking it.

I can feel low on B12 with my eyes each time... it's like a film goes over them and they get stinging tired feeling... Once I get a shot.. that goes away. Gives me energy back.

--------------------
Lyme, Babs, Fry Bug..... Whatever it is, may a treatment be discovered to make us all whole again!

Posts: 941 | From AZ-MT | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Wow, thanks so much for the responses...Very helpful...

For those who take it sublingually, how many micrograms do you take per day???

I was just reading a med journal article that said higher doses of sublingual B12 as opposed to lower doses resulted in nerve repair/regeneration (of course this was a study on mice)...Also, I've read where higher doses are helping diabetes patients...

I'm curious if anyone has found a difference taking higher versus lower doses of B12....

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a B12 shot every two weeks. I've been taking them every week this past month.

I can tell when I really HAVE to have a shot. I begin to feel depressed. Take the shot, depression "gone."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Thanks so much for all these responses...

Lymetoo-it's interesting that you say B12 helps with your depression...it seems to help mine as well...

So, B12 helps lyme patients with fatigue and depression. I was wondering if it helped any with stiffness, pain, leg pains?????

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Hmm... not sure about pain.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we all need to supplement B-12 daily.

And yes, it helps the fatigue and depression, I think it also helps some of the body pain also.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The methylation protocol calls for Perque B-12 which has hydroxocobalamin - supposed to raise B-12 higher than other forms and last longer. It's more expensive than the others. Does anyone know whether it's worth it or whether there is another similar B-12?
Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

I don't know...I've always heard to take the methyl-B12....

Anyone have B12 help with their nerve pain????

(It seems to be calming down that pulsating/inflamed feeling in my body so far....makes me sleepy when I take it...relaxed feeling still)....

Manny99
Member # 30145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Manny99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get B6, B12 and folate shots and have found them to be a blessing when it comes to nerve pain.
I too have noticed a difference in depression with the B shots.

Posts: 4 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is supposed to help with neuropathy and nerve pain. B12 should be taken with folic acid and B6 to best support the nerves. There is an RX called "Metanx" that combines these 3 supplements. Or you could take sublingual B12 along with a B complex supplement.
Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

So helpful, thanks!!

Manny99-Did you notice that the shots also helped with stiffness/soreness in your muscles (since erratic nerves can cause muscles to contract)?

Sammy-Has it helped your nerve pain? Did you take Metanx and notice a difference???

Is there a good sublingual folic acid or B6? I'm worried about my digestive tract properly absorbing these....

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Pernicious Anemia?

A lack of vitamin B12 (vitamin B12 deficiency) causes the signs and symptoms of pernicious anemia. Without enough vitamin B12, your body can't make enough healthy red blood cells, which causes anemia.

Some of the signs and symptoms of pernicious anemia apply to all types of anemia. Other signs and symptoms are specific to a lack of vitamin B12.

Signs and Symptoms of Anemia

The most common symptom of all types of anemia is fatigue (tiredness). Fatigue occurs because your body doesn�t have enough red blood cells to carry oxygen to its various parts.

A low red blood cell count also can cause shortness of breath, dizziness, headache, coldness in your hands and feet, pale or yellowish skin, and chest pain.

A lack of red blood cells also means that your heart has to work harder to move oxygen-rich blood through your body. This can lead to irregular heartbeats called arrhythmias (ah-RITH-me-ahs), heart murmur, an enlarged heart, or even heart failure.

Signs and Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 deficiency may lead to nerve damage. This can cause tingling and numbness in your hands and feet, muscle weakness, and loss of reflexes. You also may feel unsteady, lose your balance, and have trouble walking. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause weakened bones and may lead to hip fractures.

Severe vitamin B12 deficiency can cause neurological problems, such as confusion, dementia, depression, and memory loss.

Other symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency involve the digestive tract. These symptoms include nausea (feeling sick to your stomach) and vomiting, heartburn, abdominal bloating and gas, constipation or diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss. An enlarged liver is another symptom.

A smooth, thick, red tongue also is a sign of vitamin B12 deficiency and pernicious anemia.

Infants who have vitamin B12 deficiency may have poor reflexes or unusual movements, such as face tremors. They may have trouble feeding due to tongue and throat problems. They also may be irritable. If vitamin B12 deficiency isn't treated, these infants may have permanent growth problems.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement