LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » too much probiotics maybe??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: too much probiotics maybe??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have all my probiotics now. and since i'm so "paranoid", wanted to ask if this is actually too much.

ceftin 500 twice a day for 10 days so this is what i'm taking.

1 florastor twice a day
1 theralac twice a day
1 vsl 3 twice a day
1 ultra critical care twice a day
1 culturelle twice a day
1 align twice a day
1 acidolophilis twice a day

just so scared of getting c. diff but these should help right??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randibear, In my own humble opinion!!!

These are all probiotics as you are well aware of. Why would anyone take so many different probiotics daily?

It sounds to me like you're really taking many risks of messing up your gastrointestinal tract.

I really hope your doctors are aware of all of this. It seems to me that one good probiotic daily would be enough.

I hope others will reply to your post here�

Again, this is only my opinion, but I do hope you let your doctors know how many probiotics you�re taking daily.

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the first 3 items on your list (take FloraMyces instead of Florastor but I think they are the same s.bouillardi good yeast anyway) everyday and no problems and my LLMD is fine with it.

The rest on your list I am not familiar with but they are probably not high count anyway.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susieq2
Member # 30451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susieq2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it will mess you up, but you may want to compare the probiotic strains in each and simply take more of a specific brand. I know acidophilus is in VSL. If you get your doctor to write for VSL DS packets it will likely be paid by insurance and the packets are 900 billion cells/packet. The florastor is completely different (beneficial yeast), and the culturelle is unique as well.
Posts: 59 | From Seattle WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the box says

culturelle 10 billion lactobillius
align 4 mg bifdobacterium infantis
florastor saccharomyces boulardi 5 billion
acidolphilis l billion l. rhamnosus and
l billion acidolphilus and 1 billion b. cifidum

theralac says
Five Probiotic Species:
Lactobacillus acidophilus � 10 billion CFU
(Strain LA-1)
Lactobacillus paracasei � 5 billion CFU
(Strain F-19)
Lactobacillus rhamnosus � 2 billion CFU
(Strain LR-44)
Bifidobacterium lactis � 10 billion CFU
(Strain BL-34)
Bifidobacterium lactis � 3 billion CFU
(Strain Bi-07)
Formulated at 40 Billion Colony Forming Units - Guaranteed at 30 Billion Colony Forming Units (CFU) through expiration.

ultra critical care says
50 billion active bacteria per capsule
30 billion Bifidobacteria
20 billion Lactobacilli and Lactococcus cultures

guess it could be too much, but ceftin is supposed to be really bad for causing c. diff.
i know one person who ended up loosing their colon to it, and other one has ulcerative colitis because of c. diff.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marine6624
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marine6624     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More is not always better ! Be very careful [Smile]
Posts: 198 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I AGREE .. take the first three! That's all you need. The rest of it is overkill.

Take 100 billion CFU's per day for good measure.. switch them up occasionally to keep the yeast guessing.

Your theralac and VSL accounts for about 360 CFU's already. That's enough if you ask me. Diet is huge also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

umm, what first three?

you mean the florastor, theralac and vsl???

or the florastor, align and culturelle?

i'll keep the acidophilis, align and culturelle for travelling cause you don't have to refrigerate them. the critical care i can start using when i finish the vsl cause it's about 2/3 empty anyway.

ok, ok. got it. just in a panic cause they haven't called me back yet with bloodwork results and am snatching and grabbing at anything i can get.

sort of like a cat peeing in the snow ya know? ummm, that's an old texas expression. i shouldn't have to explain but some of you will understand.

guess i do define "paranoia" huh? mom's death just really screwed me up mentally. haven't been the same since.

--------------------

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florastor, Theralac and VSL3.

I hear you - I get paranoid as well!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
what first three?

you mean the florastor, theralac and vsl???

-
yes, ONE, TWO, THREE

and yeah, the ones you don't have to refrigerate are great to keep around. And then you can switch things up from time to time.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think even the first 3 are too much...you are only on 500 abx-thats like nothing

you must tbe rolling in $ to be able to buy those ad take them

if you just have too much $ and need to get rid of it i'll send you my address!

theralac you olnly need every other day. on abx maybe one a day...

i don;t know the others-florastor is sbc, right? sbc is impt but bad if you take too much

i would be constipated with that much

ps-re your other thread...i don't think you win the prize for being the MOST spacey...but you do have a lot of us for company

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yeah but ip, 500 twice a day. my friend micka was taking the same dosage and she's the one who has ulcerative colitis because of it. she was taking florastor and one probiotic, can't remember which one, and it didn't help. she almost died. now she's really sick all the time and has to be very careful what she eats.

as far as money, i shop the net and get the cheapest possible. i only order about once every three months. the florastor is not that brand, it's jarrow i think and the rest come from wallie world.

so i'm not really spending that much, but i'm very fortunate to be able to do it.

if you want i DO have a cabinet which has all kinds of stuff in it, and if you'll pm me, i'll be glad to send you a list and if you want some of it, i'll send it along.

there's some stuff i bought that i found out i can't take due to allergies and all, so i just shoved it on the back.

but when you do take pills twice a day, they go pretty fast.

now if they'd just call. i kind of dread it cause his nurse is a _itch...

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

well i know is ceftin is very prone to c. diff, even my duck said that.

and poor micka, she was on this exact dosage but for oh about 21 days. she hadn't take any abx before but something set her this colitis and she said the only thing she did was this ceftin and probiotics.

i'm just trying to be super careful. i'll cut back to the vsl, theralac, and florastor. then when i run out of those, i'll do the critical care and others.

my doc did say that you can get c. diff or the colitis months after taking abx. i plan on continuing probiotics till i run out and then maybe some more.

oh yeah, what's kefir? i've looked for it at the grocery store but can't find it.

--------------------

merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cant really tolerate any probiotics. they make my gi tract much worse. My llmd says that means I need them more, but after 4 years of chronic diarrhea (going like 10-12 times a day) I only take them once in awhile.

theralac is too strong for me.

I honestly think you are on too many, but I am not a fan of probiotics.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this tread is getting wierder and wierder

the abx give you the sx of diarhea

the probiotics take it away

if you go the other way...constipation it is probably too many probiotics

most supps from wally world probably contain metals and stuff you don't want

it is worth it to pay more $ (theralac, vsl)
to get a better product...then you don't contaminate yourself and you can use less of it

as for your friend...we are all different

her history, genes, environment etc are different than yours and everyone else

some are prone to UC some to other things

it may or may not all be related

recently there was a post about someone else taking too much sbc and something bad happeeing

i took huge doses of ab for 2 years and controlled yeast with probiotics, sbc, nystatin and diflucan

i took more when i had diarhea and less when i got constipated...thats how i decided what to take

i was on twenty 875mg amox and 1000mg zith a day for over a year

then pulsed it but changed zith to biaxin for the pulse

so 500 or 1000 seems like nothing to me...its been ahile since i did the math but 8750 plus 8750 equals 17,500 mg a day right?

my stomach has some problems but not UC or anything really serious and i kelled a lot of Bb during that year

i'm not saying my way is right. i'm saying we are all different-but some things make sense:

-buy good products
-pay attention to your body
-more is not always better

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a strange question....

If bad bacteria put off toxins when they die,

do GOOD bacteria put off toxins, as well, when they die?

For example, if we are taking loads and loads of probiotics and then killing them with antibiotics,

are we adding to our already heavy toxin load?

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

interesting question, hambone... I have no clue myself.

randi.. look for Kefir near the yogurt or in your grocery store's health food area where soy milk or rice milk are found.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

average joe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for average joe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i was on twenty 875mg amox and 1000mg zith a day for over a year" ?????

lpkayak what in the world would you take 17,500mg a day for??

Call me ignorant but holy cow that seems like your doc is treating you AND the neighbors as well

--------------------
If you play at the beach, expect to get some sand in your shorts [Smile]

Posts: 223 | From central pa | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well you would think that you take probiotics and your diarrhea gets better, but thats not the way it works for me. I bet thats not the case for every person but not every one reacts the way they are "supposed" to

I get really bad diarrhea and gas if I take them often. I have never had a noticible yeast infection ever.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I am wrong but I never got the impression that Ceftin carried a big risk for C diff...at least no more than any other antibiotic. Are you sure you have this right?

I know that clindamycin has a larger than normal risk for C Diff and is normally the one that you hear all of the warnings about.

In fact when you google clindamycin most of the info you find about it will include a specific warning about C Diff when taking clindamycin.

When I googled Ceftin I found no such warnings.

My LLMD has given me big warnings on the clindamycin for C Diff but no special warnings for the Ceftin.

Anyhow...maybe I am wrong about this but just wanted to throw that out there. Maybe you don't have to worry quite so much about the Ceftin.

Also just for the record...I just got off of Clindamycin and to avoid C Diff and to help with Candida caused by it I was (and still am) taking S boulardii 4 pills a day. Plus I am taking one packet of VSL #3. Plus one pill of Theralac and usually one pill of Probiomax as well. This equals over 550 BILLION units per day of probiotics.

Before the clindamycin I wasn't taking anywhere near that much because I didn't need that much. I was on Ceftin before the Clinda by the way. I didn't seem to need anywhere near the amount of probiotics that I did while on clinda.

So I think it just depends on the situation and the person as to how much you need. I would be careful and pay attention to how you are reacting to a larger than normal dose of probiotics but sometimes large doses are needed.

You may not need that entire list that you posted in your first post (I agree with others that 1, 2 and 3 would be a good combo) but increasing them could be helpful if you are concerned about the C Diff. Just keep an eye on it.

Anyhow...take care!

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think you're right, Pam. I never have heard that Ceftin was bad about causing c.diff .. but I thought maybe randi heard something I haven't. I trust your Google!! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lpkayak
Member # 5230

average joe-i took them cuz my llmd told me to. he tested me regulary to make sure i had the right dose ad it did work. there is at least oe other on here that took the same dose---maybe it was abxnomore...not sure

i had been 12 yrs with acute lyme but ot dx and one yr with differet llmd txing me but not with correct doses

i am very greatful to the doc that gave me this

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

rechecked my sources. askapatient has somebody that said they got c. diff from ceftin, also handout in the package from the pharmacist said also to look out for it.

i would feel it's better to be safe than sorry than not to take any probiotics because i thought one abx didn't cause c. diff or had a low risk factor.

but maybe i'm wrong. maybe we shouldn't take probiotics if it's a low risk from some abx.

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

i understand your concern.

i was simply making a point, perhaps incorrectedly done, that probiotics should be taken with all abx, whether or not it's low risk or not.

and i call my gp a duck for obvious reasons. i've posted enough about him that everyone here knows i have trouble with him. and the least of which is calling me "paranoid" and not believing in lyme or diflucan for yeast. that alone warrants the description.

but yes i do believe in probiotics but just wanted to make sure that everyone, including new people take them.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement