LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long on difulcan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long on difulcan
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I moved to a different state and forgot to ask my doc how long I should stay on difulcan.... What is your experience and length of time taking it... I'm a lil over 1 week
Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr J had my son on it for one month.

Seemed to take care of it, he is still on Nystatin.

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's what my doc wanted cause he usually does 100-120 count on pills and he did 30 on the difulcan...
Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got to ask about this here...I take it once a week, not once a day, and my insurance will only pay for 2 pills. Two! I pay for the other 2.
How do you get 30? or, why is my coverage for only 2 pills??

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the way the Rx is written.

Have your LLMD write the Rx for one pill daily fo 30 days and see if your insurance will cover that.

I was paying the same co-payment for 7 pills as I did for 45.

I had my LLMD write the Rx for 1.5 pills daily.

I also took the generic.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going on my second month of it. I take 100mg once a day.

My insurance does pay for it. I pay a $5 copay. I did have high numbers for candida antibodies though so I wonder if that has something to do with them covering it?

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks geneal, i'll try that!
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow. wonder how many people have to pay for their own diflucan?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you call the insurance company and ask why they aren't covering it?

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get 30 - 200mg Diflucan (generic) at Walmart for $15.88. It was $32 and recently went down to about 16.

This is the every day price, with or without insurnace.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am covered and only pay 5 dollars. My doc wrote it for 90 days twice a day! This way I had them. I am now told by many that diflucan should be a part of your everyday lyme routine?

I never knew that difulcan helped kill lyme bacteria. I htought it was for yeast infections?
Many have now told me their llmds use it along with doxy or whatever abx all the time?

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Hmm interesting stuff... I know I payed $15 for 30 I do find myself not sticking to the diet as strictly while on it cause I dont have so many problems..
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be careful taking this as one of the side effects of it is heart arrhythmia....You should check your medication interactions with Diflucan....I got in really bad shape on this med from taking it too long...extreme weakness and fatigue...
Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With reference to what Bugg is saying, Diflucan can prolong the QT interval. Its a good idea to have an EKG before beginning, if possible to ensure you don't already have a long QT interval. Zithromax in particular should not be paired with Diflucan as they can amplify the QT effect if taken together. Diflucan also can cause some minor cytochrome P450 inhibition, so take care and be sure to look for interactions. Unfortunately, I've found that quite a few of the LLMDs I've spoken with neglect to note these items.

As for dosing, between 100-200 mg QD for a month is the likely dose for taking care of suspected or confirmed fungal issues stemming from antibiotics, though it has some as of yet not quite understood direct action against Lyme, so some may use it in concert with other antibiotics to get both the benefit of preventing fungal overgrowth and attacking the infections.

Diflucan in the US is now FINALLY available as generic, so it should be inexpensive.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking it for about 5 months. Had a really bad case of candida.. I'm beginning to get the upper hand now. Whew.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlanaSuzanne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlanaSuzanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blackstone, had no idea about QT interval as it relates to diflucan, so thanks for the info.

Diflucan kills candida but it also has an effect on B. burgdorferi.

There is the Schardt protocol which alternates diflucan with penicillin. Worth exploring with your LLMD.

--------------------
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'

---Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 748 | From somewhere | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Hmm...what affect does it have on Bb?

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposedly kills it .. but I have my sincere doubts about that. I think people have yeast they don't recognize and that is why they show improvement on Diflucan.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement