LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Potassium Overdose by accident: Yikes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Potassium Overdose by accident: Yikes.
Tricky Tickey
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yall know I've been through with treatment for 6 months.

Well, I screwed up yesterday. My legs have been hurting some lately, sort of spotty in places. Not deep pain, but on the surface. Like spider veins pushing out. Unknown what's causing it other than the fact that when I change shoes and walk a lot, it occurs.

So I learn that potassium is good for muscles & aches, right? I have the powder form, potassium chloride. Dosing is 1/4 tsp, which is 730 mg. I misread the label, thought it was 1/2 tsp. So I dumped about 1/2 tsp (1460 mg total) into 8 oz of orange juice, which is another 450 mg of potassium (didnt' dawn on me that I was ingesting more potassium) A total of 2,190 mg of Potassium chloride!!

Took it on a full stomach (cottage cheese, blueberries, organic sunflower seeds) a nice protein breakfast. Within 5 minutes, I felt like I'd downed a couple of cups of wine. Ya know that feeling when you first drink alcohol, that queezy feeling that hits you, spreads upwards in your legs? Well, as a recovering alcoholic, I know that feeling all too well! That's what it felt like.

Took my blood pressure. Was good at 120 over 74, second time about the same.

Then I felt nauseous......light-headed. Grabbed a piece of Ezekiel bread and ate it in hopes of settling my stomach. My fingers start tingling, my legs feel really strange. Kinda like a herx...sort of. Then my lips start feeling numb....oh, Lord, now what? Got online and looked up potassium overdose. Say they treat it with glucose (sugar) or calcium so the potassium can enter the cells, or something like that.

Only thing I had around here is granulated sugar (hubby uses it) and Nutella chocolate spread. I grab the Nutella, spoon out a tablespoon or more, which is only about 11-15 grams of sugar, then eat it. Within 5-10 minutes, the strange symptoms alleviated and went completely away after 30 minutes. Amazing, and scary!

Early this morning, though, I got severe leg cramps again. Really bad, had to get up and walk around. When I held the leg still, I could feel the muscle actually contracting. But I'm not taking any potassium. Notice my elbows have been hurting a little more lately, too with the ache going down the arms again like tennis elbow. Darnit!

Well, thought you guys could gain a bit of knowledge from this experience. Do I still have infection.....? Good question, but no relapses. I'm ready to do battle if I have to!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeGoAway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeGoAway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my. Glad you're okay and that you had the presence of mind to check online for overdose information.

You probably already know this, but leg cramps can also be caused by a magnesium deficiency.

Posts: 227 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you're ok.

Ditto on the magnesium deficiency - and yes you can have this and not be sick from lyme any more. Mag deficiency does not go away until you treat it.

Yeast can also cause the joint and muscle pain (inflammation). Yeast is a long drawn out battle that goes can go on for years after you stop abx (at least in my case).

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, LymeGoAway! I did not know that magnesium dificiency caused leg cramps! Oh my goodness, that could be it. I'm getting on it right away.

lymeinhell: I bet you're right, too. About the yeast. Something is deficient for sure.

It was weird, to say the least. Funny, though, how even apple cider vinegar gives me that warm, fuzzy alcoholic feeling in my legs. Sort of comfy feeling. I should be a lab rat.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom was hospitalized at one time for potassium overdose. we have no idea how she got it.

she gave her something green to drink. she had to stay for days.

never did figure out what caused it tho.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Glad you are ok. You probably didn't take enough for a big overdose. Potassium 750mg=10 meq, so you took a dose of about 30 meq. Potassium supplements are usually about 20 or 30 meq/daily.

Overdoses in the hospital are treated with IV 10%dextrose and insulin. Dextrose does push potassium back in the cells, insulin prevents high blood glucose from the dextrose push.

Hyperkalemia can cause cardiac arrest. Overdosing on aspirin can cause high potassium, or kidney disease.
Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Interesting information, jazzygirl. It's weird how it affected me.

--------------------
Chiropractic.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement