LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How much magnesium do you take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much magnesium do you take?
Ahodge01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ahodge01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering how much mg everyone takes I only take 400mg at the most... But I eat spinach three times a day usually
Posts: 286 | From St. Louis | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lululymemom
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lululymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
300 mg for me.. plus CoQ10

--------------------
IGM 41 IND, 83-93+ IGG 31 IND,34 IND, 41++, 58+, 83-93 IND

31 Epitope test neg.

Bartonella henselae 1:100

Posts: 2027 | From British Columbia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
400 mg a day
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
350 2x a day

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding has been that we should be taking atleast 800 mg a day. I take 1200mg a day, and with the previous brands I was on, I took 2000mg.

In general, a good rule of thumb is to take as much as you can, up to what your bowels can handle. When you start to get diarrhea or loose stool, that's too much. Just below that amount is the target.

I'm not an expert though, that's just what I've heard and what I try to go by. When my neuro symptoms get worse, I find I need to up my magnesium alittle. I increase and decrease as my body needs it.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
norcal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
750 mg. X 2 a day
Posts: 342 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your body can only absorb a small amount at a time and the excess is literally flushed out into the toilet. So taking small doses frequently throughout the day would be more helpful. The doseage you take also depends on what type you are taking.

Shortfalls in Oral Magnesium Supplements
It�s important to note that oral magnesium presents unique challenges for many individuals. For many, these challenges become barriers to restoring intracellular magnesium levels effectively.

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-chloride/

Magnesium oxide, common in popular dietary supplements, could have a fractional absorption in the gut as small as 4 percent.

Firstly, realistic absorption rates from oral magnesium supplements are rarely taken into account when dosage recommendations are given.

Usage of poorly ionized forms of magnesium can therefore result in ineffective supplementation. A study in 2001 indicated that magnesium oxide, an inexpensive magnesium complex included in many popular dietary supplements, could have a fractional absorption in the gut as small as 4 percent.1

If one was to ingest the commonly recommended (albeit modest) adult dosage of 300-400 mg magnesium per day in this poorly absorbed form, it could equate to a usable dosage of only 12-16 mg.

Secondly, and perhaps more important, is the fact that nearly all magnesium supplements share a common tendency to create a laxative effect in the bowels. The effect of different magnesium compounds on bowel motility and stool softness is further amplified with the quantity ingested in a single dose.

The higher any single dosage, the greater the potential to cause diarrhea, thereby reducing transit time through the bowels. This is of key importance, and as Dr. Shealy indicates in his book Holy Water, Sacred Oil: The Fountain of Youth, there is reliable evidence to indicate that absorption relies heavily on magnesium�s staying power in the intestine�at minimum 12 hours. If transit time is reduced to less than 12 hours, the percentage of magnesium absorbed may be drastically impaired.

When these points of consideration are taken in conjunction with the unpredictability of each individual�s efficiency to absorb magnesium through oral means, the results become unreliable in many cases.

In contrast, bypassing the digestive system with topical use of magnesium oil, lotion or gel (IV or IM intramuscular � or other transdermal therapies including magnesium baths or foot soaks � circumvents the many common drawbacks that can accompany oral supplementation.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopesAlive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopesAlive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just setting up my "arsenal" for the next week, and I was just wondering if I was taking enough magnesium. Sounds like I will have to up it a bit, by taking a second dose later in the day.

I believe the absorption factor is the same with Vitamin C. Better to take 500 mg two to four times throughout the day (or however much you take) than to take all at once, because a person is only able to absorb 500 mg at a time. I learned that from my middle son! [Smile]

I have a friend who (years ago) bought a role of those tart, yummy Vitamin Cs. They tasted so good, she could not stop eating them, and oh, did she suffer later, lol. I love the chewables, but due to the no gluten no sugar thing, I buy the other kind to be safe.

I really do NOT like swallowing so many BIG pills/vitamins. I much prefer liquid or the tiny capsules like the Vitamin D. I am like a little kid when it comes to that. It takes forever just to take all those vitamins, too!

Thank you for asking a question that I was JUST wondering about, and thank you for the information, everyone. [Smile]

--------------------
Best Wishes,

Hope

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

~~The Shawshank Redemption~~

Posts: 234 | From Minnesota | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I should add to my earlier post that I take my magnesium spread out in 3 doses through the day. Definitely important to spread it out.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my original LLMDs, Dr. C in MO, said he had some patients on 6,000+ mg of Mg daily!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement