LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sugar feeds lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sugar feeds lyme??
My2B
Member # 31975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My2B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question. If my son has any sugar he feels good and then his blood sugar goes down very low. However, he has extreme sugar cravings. He will lie, cheat and steal for sugar. He actually gets violent when it is withheld from him. Is this because of the lyme? We spent thousands of dollars on a hospital stay having him tested but in the end they told me he was hypoglycemic and "we don't know why".

He also had extensive tests done by a geneticist who informed me that everything was normal. They told me he probably has a small abnormality in his genes that causes him to metabolize sugar abnormally. I chose not to do another test to confirm this because it discounts all of his other symptoms.

I thought doctors were supposed to be smart.....

Posts: 55 | From Kingwood, TX | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Ok Lyme brain so don't quote me. I recently had a TONS of test done and I believe one of them to check for Thyroid, Adrenal, and Metabolic Problems and I think I am hypoglycemic as well. But my other test did NOT show that I have diabetes. So I think Lyme is causing damage to other parts of my body that is making my blood levels fluctuate as IF I was a diabetic.

My LLMD told me that to keep this under control, I cannot have sugar and to avoid any foods that are grown underground (they are high in the glycemic index) and to eat small meals that are high in lean protein. The key is to not let him crash... other wise it would be hard to not cheat! When I get the urge I will only cheat w/ a piece of fruit... it's still sugar but at least it's natural. You might want to have him tested for the Thyroid, Adrenal and Metabolic functions if you haven't already done so.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has he been tested for yeast?
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by momintexas: Has he been tested for yeast?
-
Ditto .. or ask his dr to put him on some Diflucan and see if he improves. (You CAN "herx" on Diflucan from the die-off of candida/yeast.)

sugar cravings are a HUGE red flag that you have yeast

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dlfs1957
Member # 21468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlfs1957     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sugar adds to inflammation in the body as do carbohydrates such as refined (crackers, bread, pastries) and white foods (rice, potatoes) which rapidly convert to sugar. If your son has Lyme, sugar should be avoided. Diet should include approx 75% veggies, small portions of animal protein, and lots of water to flush the system.
Posts: 9 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sugar cravings indicate a systemic candida (yeast) infection. He needs treatment for the candida with diflucan, or nystatin, or something herbal.

Then he needs to be on a candida diet. You can read more about candida and the diet at http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/

It may seem impossible at first to overcome the cravings. However, after the candida infection subsides, and after being on the diet, the cravings will also diminish, and then, hopefully be gone.

I've found that when I eat sugar, I crave it. When I eliminate sugar and sugar producing foods, I feel so much better, my blood sugar is stabilized, and I have no sugar cravings. Then, any foods with even small amounts of hidden sugar that I may eat by accident, seem ultra-sweet.

Best wishes. Hope your son feels better soon.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My2B
Member # 31975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My2B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info. My son was treated for yeast a year ago. He was tested again a few months ago and it showed that the yeast was gone. He was also treated for a parasite which was also gone at that time. He spent a week in the hospital with many tests being ran and coming back normal. He had been on a low dosage of Synthroid for a hypothyroidism. I know that he shouldn't have sugar. Unfortunately, it is hard to watch him all the time. He wants to be with friends and I know he doesn't always follow his diet.

A mother of one of his "new" and as always temporary friends told me that her son said that J (my son) turned into a monster when he had too much sugar. I thought I was onto something when I read about Lyme and I saw that sugar feeds the bacteria. At one time I thought the same about Yeast but his cravings continued after the treatment. He is like a "crack" addict and was not that way until a few months after he was bitten. He has no control and always feels terrible afterwards. It is controlled by ensuring that he not eat sugar often. If he has any sugar after a high protein meal then he is fine. It's so much better in the summer when he is at home. At school he found sugar everywhere.

Posts: 55 | From Kingwood, TX | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Candida...

http://www.amazon.com/Chronic-Candidiasis-Vitamins-Minerals-Exercise/dp/076150821X

Worth the 11 bucks. A decade old, but what has changed? Effective advice is ageless.

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B-Complex vitamin deficiency can also cause sugar cravings in the absence of yeast/candida.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement