LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Long Overseas Flights with Lyme/Co: Suggestions wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Long Overseas Flights with Lyme/Co: Suggestions wanted
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,

I've had lyme and co for at least 8-9 years, dx last year with borrelia/babs/bart. I'm 26 yrs old.

Flying is always an issue for me and I suspect others on this forum.

#1 ..I'm terrified of flying to begin with, but I do it at least once a year.

I usually go on short flights, but I wish to go travel to France in spring 2012, and possibly to Uruguay sooner.

How can we take care of lyme symptoms on such long flights?

My main issue is when I get nervous, I tend to not eat or drink much. Which leads to dehydration and usually constipation. Toxins then take over because they aren't moving anywhere!

My legs and body get VERY cramped up and uncomfortable. Drinking water in large amounts, I'm talking a gallon a day, helps. But going to the bathroom on planes freak me out!

And, it's almost impossible for me to sleep when in planes. I've never taken a longer flight than 3.5 hours.

I'm not even mentioning the jet lag issues that people get hit with once in a different country, i've never experienced that before.

Overseas flights are tough on "normal" people!

How can we help ourselves to survive these kinds of flights while incurring the least amount of discomfort/flares/herxes possible?

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmsfnc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmsfnc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish you luck. I couldn't imagine taking any flight right now and I'm about 95%. The anxiety still freaks me out.
Posts: 239 | From NC | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always make sure that I'm well hydrated before the trip. Buy a couple bottles of water in the airport to bring on the plan with you. I also pack lots of healthy snacks.

Wear comfy shoes that tie up, helps prevent foot swelling. Sit near a window or in-between friends so that you have a little extra room to move around. Stretch and move your legs often. Get up and walk around the plane every hour or so when you are awake. Talk to other people while you're up.

I don't let the vents blow in my face because the air is recirculated on the airplane. Bring hand sanitizer with you because bathrooms are gross.

Buy a little blow up neck pillows, that will make your trip much more comfortable. You could bring ear plugs and and eye mask if you really wanted to sleep. Benadryl might help you relax and make you drowsy.

Jet lag can be prevented. Once you arrive in the country you must adopt their time schedule immediately. If everyone else is up, you stay up. When it is bedtime, go to bed. Set an alarm to wake you in the morning. Be active during the day. This will help you adjust quickly. Same for when you get back home.

Have Fun! Wish I could go with you [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just came back from Spain. It involved 3 flights in each direction. First we had to get to the east coast, then to London, then to the town on the coast of spain. I was not able to sleep on the plane, but still it was ok. What helped me:
1. A wheelchair - I have bad arthritis
2. Spending an entire day resting and sleeping once we got there, mostly sleeping.
3. On the way home, we left Spain at 10 pm, got to London around midnight, and didn't fly out until morning. We stayed at the airport hotel and got 6 hrs of sleep.
4. We were able to get one 1st class upgrade because the price was reasonable.

Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sk8ter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sk8ter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Get a personal air purifier to wear around your neck.
2. Hydration - buy Elyte..like gatorade without sugar content. Keep drinking it all day.
3. do shorter flights instead of the 10-12 hr ones overseas.
4. Take tons of magnesium glycinate for muscles and sleep.
5. Tons of Vit C for immune system.

Posts: 871 | From orange county, ca. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wear compression socks, the ones for diabetics.
I made sure I moved my feet and toes around during the flight. I hate using the bathrooms, but I made myself every hour or so.
Upgrading if you can, it does make a world of difference.
I take my iPod and listen to music
I read, and that usually puts me out
Benadryl is good, or if your not opposed, ask your doc for low dose Xanax.
For long or unknown airports -wheelchairs good idea
Water water and more
Pray! And have fun......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I am sick I am not terrified on planes.
Your chance to die from lyme and co. is much higher than an airplane accident.

You also could take a half tablet of xanax
and keep one in your pocket if you need more.

I am afraid of blood clots on long flights.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeAware
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26195

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeAware     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't flown overseas since I've been sick but I did take a short-ish flight last fall when I was quite ill. I'm housebound with a lot of neurological issues, so just being out of the house in the first place was a big deal. I wasn't quite as sick then as I am now, but I had most of the same issues.

My strategy for helping my lyme symptoms was to try to block out as much stimulation and interaction as possible. I bought lots of ear plugs, a pair of ear muffs, a pair of high quality sunglasses, and an eye mask. I also bought a face mask for chemical sensitivity in case I had issues with the fumes, etc. on the plane.

My husband drove us to the airport and I zoned out on a pillow with the seat back. The entire trip I had the sunglasses on and the ear plugs in. In the airport, I could still hear most things happening if I needed to with the ear plugs, but it dimmed the noise considerably.

And, when I really needed to block out more noise, or when I wanted to make it clear to flight attendants or wheelchair attendants that I wasn't able to interact, I put on the ear muffs.

Even if I didn't feel like sleeping, if I was just sitting on the plane, I used the eye mask to block out all the movement and stimluation around me peripherally.

I found that doing what I could to block stimulation, even early in the trip, helped keep my energy as stable as possible to make it through. I did better than I had feared!

I don't know if stimulation of this sort is an issue for you, but just thought I'd share in case.

Lastly, I really encourage people who need it to use the wheelchairs at the airport. I was amazed at how much was made easier through this service. I wouldn't have been able to walk, but it was more than that -- they have people there to take you to your connecting flights, rush you through security, you don't have to wait in lines to get on the plane, etc. Made it MUCH easier.

I didn't have to think about where to go next, how to get there, etc. They even took me to the bathroom [Smile]

Good luck with all this. I hope it's a wonderful trip for you and and that you arrive feeling able to enjoy your time there.

Posts: 232 | From Oregon | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all great suggestions.

This is going to be like a "double date" thing.

A guy interested in me asked me to go with him and his brother and his brothers girlfriend/wife/whatever she is.

I have yet to meet his brother or his brother's gf, but I assume I'll do that at some point (we live far away from each other right now)

So...I'm traveling with 3 non-lyme aware people. Yea...I know.

We are going to buy our tickets this winter. I will need to have a talk with him when i see him next explaining the things I need to "keep going".

Luckily, this guy doesn't drink or smoke and we have the same interests so I'm really excited to go. He has food allergies to all nuts so he kind of understand how its necessary to be picky at restaurants.

A little skeptical about traveling with people I don't know very well, but hey... oh well. I'm tired of being afraid to live.

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Keep them coming if anyone else has anything [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good ideas from others here.

If you don't want to take aspirin, you could try some serrapeptase or another fibrinolytic enzyme to help to keep your legs comfy and oedema down.

One of those little lights that clip onto a book for reading in the dark without disturbing others is quite comforting if you can't sleep or have chosen not to.

It's hard when you're with people who don't know you [or the illness] well and it's a bigger social effort, but perhaps you could ask your friend to explain to his brother in advance that you may have to 'opt out', be quiet, rest etc in order to cope.

Good luck!

Carry

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Thank u!

I told him yesterday as long as i'm sitting next to him, close to the aisle, over the wings or in first class that i'll be ok.

He said he will do whatever makes me comfortable since its a long flight. What a sweetie.

I think if i really plan ahead and make the others aware i may have to opt out, like carry said, I will have a great trip.

So excited now that I have all of these useful tips! Thanks [Smile]

--------------------

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I flew to Uruguay while 12 weeks pregnant. It is a loooong flight. [Smile] The best thing for me was to force myself to take a short walk up and down the aisle every 1.5 hours. That did mean I couldn't sleep, but I thought it was so important to prevent blood clots and to keep my circulation going.

You'll also need to force yourself to drink (water!). Make sure you get enough fiber - Metamucil makes those fiber wafers - the cinnamon ones are good - or you can use the Metamucial clear. It disolves beautifully in hot beverages.

Pace yourself during your trip - make sure to take lots of breaks at cafes rather than touring at an aggressive pace.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With ambien and melatonin, and preemptively changing my sleep schedule during the flights to and back, I was fine. 15 hr time difference even, landed at home at 10pm, went to work the next morning.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have traveled abroad numerous times while treating lyme. Granted, I've been in the 90%'s, but still..I am treating.

I understand people get anxious of flying but you need to realize you have a better chance of getting into a fatal accident driving to the airport. Or think of it this way..if you took one flight / day you would be involved in a fatal accident once every 1200 years.

Try to relax. Get an aisle seat so youc an use the lav (not sure why this freaks you out.)

You can do it.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

i know that flying is safer. I hear it every time i fly. it's a long lived fear that not even my rational mind can talk down.

I'm getting better at it, but some things are just deeply rooted, for whatever reason.

thanks for the encouragement guys!

I fly much better when with people, i'm more concerned about making sure I don't forget I have lyme. When around "lively" healthy people sometimes i push myself too hard w/o realizing it until its too late.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement