LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme hides out in Lympth Nodes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme hides out in Lympth Nodes
bottle
Member # 31863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again,

This is a very recent science journal article (May 2011) that explains how Lyme has been shown to hide in lympth nodes in mice experiments:

http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.ppat.1002066

The full citation is:

Stefan S. Tunev1,2�, Christine J. Hastey1,4, Emir Hodzic1, Sunlian Feng1, Stephen W. Barthold1,2,3,4, Nicole Baumgarth1,2,3,4* �Lymphoadenopathy during Lyme Borreliosis Is Caused by Spirochete Migration-Induced Specific B Cell Activation �
May 2011 PLoS Pathogens
1 Center for Comparative Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America, 2 Graduate Group in Comparative Pathology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America, 3 Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America, 4 Graduate Group in Microbiology, University of California Davis, Davis, California, United States of America

-P.

[ 06-14-2011, 05:22 AM: Message edited by: bottle ]

Posts: 20 | From Bellingham | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking that is what made my thyroid go wacky, My dosage was upped to 225 mg a day from 100 mg a day in the last 6 months

--------------------
Help I am being forced against my will to learn medicine!!!

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottle
Member # 31863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bottle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your suggestion about the thyroid sounds likely.

I think other bacteria can hide in the lympth nodes too. There's probably some other research that can show that too.

Posts: 20 | From Bellingham | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bottle
Member # 31863

Dosage of what?
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know i am medicine stupid, i will check.

--------------------

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

It is snynthroid.I am being forced against my will to learn medicine

--------------------

chootik
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chootik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes total sense!

I have had sluggish Lymph Nodes since the first day I got sick!

It's been so hard to get rid of them. So I guess lyme is still well and alive in my body! ):

Posts: 247 | From Ca | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my main symptoms is pain in my lymph nodes in my neck. It always hits with ear pain and headache and general chronic fatigue symptoms. No swelling, jut pain.

This is very interesting.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Dx with chronic Lyme May 2011.
LLMD April 2012, Treating with omnicef/zith
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my main symptoms is pain in my lymph nodes in my neck. It always hits with ear pain and headache and general chronic fatigue symptoms. No swelling, jut pain.

This is very interesting.

--------------------
Tick bite in 2006, bullseye rash, treated with 2 rounds of 2 weeks of doxy. (once in 2006, once in 2009)
Lots of supplements!

Posts: 640 | From Connecticut | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

pme i get the same thing

--------------------

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Only......Did your doctor explain this as a Lyme symptom.

I have been on a really low dose of doxy. First week I felt great, but since then I have not really been great. I think a little better, but only on 200 mg doxy/day. I think I still feel this in varying degrees, but maybe a bit milder.

Need to ask for a larger dose. Nobody could ever explain the lymph pain to me. Nice to know I am not dreaming.

Good luck.

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

pme No my doctor is a major duck? I am trying to do it myself for now. How long have you been on treatment?

--------------------

pme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31621

Only two weeks but this is chronic Lyme...anywhere from 3 to 6 years in the making. I have always described to my doctors the pain in the lymph nodes but with no major swelling didn't seem like a major deal I guess.

Finally found a LLND after years of rheumy appts. I have a follow up on Thursday..will ask for higher dose.

Also this sinus infection is not helping matters any!!!!!

How about you? Did you just start treatment?

--------------------
Lots of supplements!

khsmajorette
Member # 33735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khsmajorette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this may be a silly question... but if lyme hides out in lymph nodes and someone has had a swollen lymph node for years (like me) and not been diagnosed with lyme, would lyme show up in a biopsy of the node (fine needle or otherwise)? They chalked it up to just an enlarged lymph node (this was before all my other symptoms started) and it is still there.
Posts: 20 | From Northern VA | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many neurotoxins travel through the lymphatic system, including toxic metals. That is why releasing these via lymphatic drainage is very important. If nothing else, you can help yourself by very, very soft stroking or brushing -- or even just soft fingerflips/barely tapping the skin - helps to push the toxins toward the exit ---- always toward the heart area.

Look up a chart on the internet and find the drawing of the lymphatic system. Brushing from the feet up toward the heart and from the crown down along side of ears/neck down toward the heart. Gentle - like stroking a baby's face!

http://www.anatomy.tv/StudyGuides/StudyGuide.aspx?guideid=20&nextID=16&maxID=0&customer=primal

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had enlarged lymph nodes for years and every doc has said not to worry about it. There are some that never go down, but there are some that come and go.

I am confused about the synthroid comments, did I miss something along the way?

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItsMyTurn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItsMyTurn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our LLMD said that the Lymph nodes are a dump for the bad stuff. They will swell when they get full of toxins that your body is trying to get rid of. Detox!!!!
Posts: 182 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella does too!
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hammer
Member # 17201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hammer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swollen lymph nodes in my neck was one of my symptoms. They improved somewhat with lyme treatment.

When I stopped antibiotics I had major pain in one of my molars - turned into abcess and had to have pulled.

Major relief in swollen neck glands, but still there. Continued to have problems with that tooth (that was no longer there) and one old
crowned tooth on the other side.

Long story short -- I had that root canaled tooth pulled and there was infection even though the x-ray really didn't show it.

I had to have the other spot re-opened and cleaned out. There was major infection there that wasn't addressed the first time.

My neck glands have been good ever since. They flare occasonally, but don't stay swollen all the time.

Also, in between those extractions I took 2 months of mepron that helped significantly.

I had to fight with my dentist to get the x-rays that showed the infections since I didn't have typical symptoms.

He had to eat a lot of crow and of course I didn't let him touch my mouth after that.

I'm not suggesting you pull all your teeth. Just remember lyme hides in every weak place.

My gut told me my teeth were a problem but I had to fight for the answers. Dentist said there was no way infection could be under root canal.

Posts: 69 | From Birmingham, AL 35242 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pj1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pj1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after detoxing get a lymph drainage massage done.

at first it will be uncomfortable but stick with it after 2-3 sessions you will feel much better and the abx can kick more kete butt !

it does work hard part is finding a good licensed massage therapist who knows how to do it properly !

Posts: 294 | From sw chicago suburbs | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been trained in a special technique using the Lymphstar Pro.

AFTER use of the Lymphstar...

(a machine using photo, electro and magnetic frequencies to jack hammer and liquify clogged lymph vessels and nodes)...

....you are to sweep to the descending colon, not the heart.

Its not "bad" to sweep to the heart, but lymph exits via the colon in the form of mucous. The lymph in the greater omentum (tummy) and colon area must be clear first before draining extremities like arms, legs and neck.

The heart, lung, breast triad is an interesting one.

If you have "lumps" in your breast (women have more than men because of the underwire bra invention) its more times than not accumulated lymph that hasn't been able to properly drain (whether it's due to lack of exercise, breathing, or wearing a bra)

The breasts try to take the load off of the lungs if they are congested, and the lungs try to protect the heart if there is lymph accumulated and not draining.

If this area is clogged (and we know how easily lyme and co's affect the heart and lungs) it will be difficult to get the neck to drain because where does the neck lymph drain to? it has to get past/through the heart/lung area and then down to the greater omentum and out via the colon.

Skin brushing yourself daily can really help.
Lymph drainage massage is great by an experience professional.
But the Lymphstar REALLY speeds up and helps drastically with breaking up these traffic jams we have in our lymph system.

We have TWICE as much lymph in our body as blood, with no central pumping system like the circulatory system has the heart.

If you have a trained technician in your area that has a Lymphstar, i recommend trying it out as another detox method and compare it to a lymphatic massage.

Again, both are good, and if you can find someone who does both in one session.. even better.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of this talk about lymph drainage, but nobody mentioned jumping on a rebounder??

pj + FYRECRACKER: How do you think a rebounder might compare to the benefits of lymph drainage massage and Lymphstar?

Has anybody's LLMDs told them that it's beneficial to jump on a rebounder?

Would there be any reason why it would be bad to jump on one?

I was always of the impression that rebounding is one of the best ways to circulate lymphatic fluid.

BTW rebounder = mini trampoline.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting-surprises me

i seem to get many less or smaller nodes fromm bart meds

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the rebounder is essentially exercise, so in my opinion it'd be good for the stimulation of lymph flow. it definitely is the least expensive method aside from skin brushing.

--------------------

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fyrecracker, thanks for this info. I usually dry skin brush every day, but haven't been doing it much for the past 3 weeks... and wouldn't you know my neck and shoulder are so incredibly jammed up. I was thinking maybe my dental infection has not fully cleared. But now I'm thinking maybe my lymph fluid is clogged up. This makes sense to me. I'm going to look into Lymphstar Pro.

And I'm going to get back on my rebounder. Thanks James, for the reminder. (And yes, my previous doc did mention using one.)

Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

if anyone would like more info on the specialized patented "technique" using the lymphstar let me know, i'll PM you the source link.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement