LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Homes with mold.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homes with mold.
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone has concerns about mold in your home, pm me. I used to be a licensed home inspector til lyme hit. I may be able to help with advice.

--------------------
Help I am being forced against my will to learn medicine!!!

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyingtreefort
Member # 30377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for flyingtreefort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope to contact you with some questions when I get them together. Mold mentioned as possibly affecting me and my family all under treatment.
Posts: 17 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sent you a PM...

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momlyme
Member # 27775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sent you a PM too.

--------------------
May health be with you!

Toxic mold was suppressing our immune systems, causing extreme pain, brain fog and magnifying symptoms. Four days after moving out, the healing began.

Posts: 2007 | From NY/VT Border | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
onlyflippin, I think it would be a really good idea if you can supply us with info on mold.

I know everyone would benefit from your knowledge, instead of PM�s.

Thanks so much!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onlyflippin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve I will work on that, I have gotten quite a few pm.s, I will answer all of them, just may take some time. I am going to make a check list on the things I need to know so I can post it.

Please be aware I am not a mold expert on health.

Just homes, I can help track down(the best I can over the internet)mold in your home, and how to correct it. I will give that knowledge freely.

I believe I may set up a seperate email acct for this, Ill just see how it goes. I did not expect this kind of response. I am glad to help and I will not turn anyone away. I dont know if I can help everyone but I will sure try.

--------------------

Posts: 164 | From WASHINGTON | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy N.
Member # 26835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tammy N.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for offering onlyflippin. Would love to read over some of your suggestions/recommendations. I think a lot of folks on this site could benefit from your knowledge, so putting out in a post would be great.
Posts: 2238 | From East Coast | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

First off mold spores exist everywhere, but it takes moisture to activate them.

Moisture comes in several forms and no two situations are the same, but I will try to list major points.

Humidity is the big factor, it can be from several sources,from a leaky roof to not using your bath fans when taking a shower.

Alot of people cover roof vents and foundation vents that is a terrible thing to do it creates a perfect eviroment for mold as well as other problems, do not ever do that ever.You should alway make sure any vent roof or otherwise is clear of obstructions.

With newer construction the effort to make a house energy efficient also increases humidity and stagnant air. For instance for the last 20 years or so the manufactured home industry has been required to install "whole house fans" . These are used to remove excess c02 and moisture and many other toxins. It is not to say a manufactured home has more toxins.It is also the same in some standard construction.

Rodents also cause leaks, they go to pipes for a water source and cause pin hole leaks, they also tend to try and go by pipes in walls and I have seen them chew holes in plastic pipes, fresh water or drains.

There are several diffent types and colors of mold, but the info. is the same with all.

There is testing available, you can do ermi testing, That is a dna test and also concentration. There is also an airborne test called a Stachybotrys. The problem with the stach test is there are no guidelines as to what is acceptible, remember mold spores are everywhere dormant.

The biggest requirement is to locate the source of the mold. This is usually the hardest part.

Discolorations in vinyl such as flooring etc. Loose or unsealed grout. caulking missing . sagging drywall the list is endless.

Water leaks are not alway visible to the naked eye. I would say about 25 % of leaks I find are pin drops, very slow. I had one that did not show up from any visible angle, except for a slight discoloration about the size of a dime. I started doing an invasive inspection and found out that it was a tiny pin leak that went on for years, It had completely rotted out a 14' x 20' area of the home. They do make a tool called a ligno moisture tester and that will measure moisture level in your building materials of your home. If you can afford one it is a great tool for finding hidden leaks.

I know I am going to think of more things to add, but my head kind of fuzzy today.

I am going to set up an email for this. I will post asap.

I dont know much about the medicinal side of mold, but I do know homes. I could probably find the source of mold in ten or fifteen mins if I was there. But thats impossible so when you email me make sure you send me as many pictures as you can, both inside and out as well as any damage you may have or have had repaired. Age and type of home, basement or not. as many details of your home and potential hot spots.

I will answer all questions asap. Also if anyone can think of something I should post let me know.

--------------------

onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

For removal check this out www.epa.gov/mold/cleanupguideline.html

--------------------

onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

set up an email its [email protected]

--------------------

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Removal link did not work.

We have huge mold outside.

We have a large swingset, and like consciencious parents, we put down a 6 inch mulch safty surface. It is untreated wood mulch (playground mulch - no sharp bits).

Thanks to rain and heat, we've seen mold patches. Large ones are 12 x 24 inches. They seem to sprout up overnight. They are white to yellow to medium gold, and look like mammal vomit. My youngest calls it cauliflower.

We cannot afford to completely replace the mulch. Is there something safe we can spray on it?

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

That doesnt sound like mold, it is a wood fungus similiar to what causes dry rot. You should be able to spray any fungicide for plants or trees on it and it should take care of it. can you email me a picture?

--------------------

onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

Sorry forgot a letter

www.epa.gov/mold/cleanupguidelines.html

--------------------

Garden
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31671

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Garden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any grows tomorrow, I will! Thank you!

--------------------
Garden

"Fibromylagia" for 8+ years
Pos IgeneX WB per both Igenex and CDC
Pos Neuroscience MyLymeImmuneID
Started tx for Lyme in March 2011

Posts: 245 | From East Coast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

up

--------------------

onlyflippin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32260

up

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement