LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rifampin + Mepron

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rifampin + Mepron
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has just been brought to my attention that Mepron is not supposed to be taken with Rifampin. Why would a reputable doc prescribe these two drugs together? Is this true?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RC1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RC1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read on LymeMD's web site that they can, if I remember right, the Mepron makes the Rifampin stronger. I'm not 100% on that because I have Lyme brain! So I guess a lower dosage of Rifampin with it?
Posts: 845 | From Northeast | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcaringella
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24848

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcaringella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd prescribed them both on purpose. That's when I finally got better. Although the herx was insanely violent. The combo treats babs and FL1953 protozoan. I'm pretty sure its ok.

--------------------
Blessings to you!

Posts: 141 | From Southern California | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

From what I have read, the Rifampin weakens the Mepron.....
betty1939
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18240

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty1939     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Burranscano's diagnostic hints says no rifampin with mepron because they make eachother ineffective.

I'm not sure why your doctor recommends both at the same time, did you ask him?

Is he treating bart and babs at the same time, if so maybe you can ask him for another bart med such as levaquin or factive which doesn't interfere with mepron.

--------------------
Lyme IGG/IGM positive 12/08
Babesia Microti IGM positive 12/08
Hemobartonella positive 1/11
mycoplasma 6/11

Posts: 162 | From Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I was not able to find that in Dr. B's diagnostics. I did see, however, that Atovaquone will make levaquin useless in the future.... This is a confusing mess....
does it strengthen it? weaken it? render it ineffective?

nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin reduces the serum levels of Mepron. As only 47% of Mepron is absorbed and it costs about $25 a teaspoon, it is complete waste of money. Only 47% of Mepron is absorbed. It is advised to use two teaspoons now for babesia so using Mepron with Rifampin would be pretty useless and might even build resistance.

In Dr. S' book on babesia, he says Dr. H uses levaquin with malarone. I do not remember the other drugs.

Another drug that helps somewhat with bart that you can use with Mepron is Bactrim DS.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I am truly ****ed about this. This is my 2nd LLMD, he just took all of my money. I cannot start again right now. I am completely broke because of him. I would have thought such a steep price would warrant a good working knowledge of all things Lyme. I just don't get it. He came highly recommended, I was unable to find anything bad on him, even one negative sentence in all of his reviews. His patients have all said he was good. AND he is one of the more expensive docs. What is this crap?
lymeboy
Unregistered

UP

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement