LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone not gotten better on antibiotics?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone not gotten better on antibiotics?
My2B
Member # 31975

Icon 1 posted      Profile for My2B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just wondering why there are so many people who seem as though they are not benefiting from the long term antibiotics. Why does it work for some and not others?

Also, if no lesions are present will treatment have more of an impact or faster results?

We are about to start treatment for my son and my biggest fear is that it will not help him. After all of the searching and finding the Lyme, I can't bare the thought of the meds not helping him.

Any info would be appreciated.

MY2B

Posts: 55 | From Kingwood, TX | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good question you raise. I'm my case I'm feeling a bit better and this is just from a low dose of one abx. I would think it depends on the level of infections and how well your immune system can aid in fighting them off. I have a normal cd57 which I'm pretty sure has helped me. My son has Lyme too. Was not real sick at all but had a facial tic we think from the babs. He's been on abx and all sorts of supps for about 7 months. Pulsing tindamax and his tic has really improved. Next step for him.. Off abx in July. We are thrilled. So.. I guess if you call 7 months long term it has worked in my sons case. As for me, feeling better just after weeks.. But a ways to go.
Posts: 129 | From West | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickofthis
Member # 31344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickofthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect a lot of the people who are presently on this forum, are people in the thick of treatment, so the outcome is unknown. My dd started treatment at the beginning of Feb. and she is finally improving. She had Lyme/Bart for 5 yaers before we figured it out. She also has an autoimmune disorder that complicates things.

I started treatment maybe two months ago. Some things improved immedicately upon starting treatment (brain fog, fatigue, foot pain) but since adding in new antibiotics, the foot/ankle pain has worsened (herx) and now that I'm pulsing flagyl, that really makes me herx so I feel worse on those days than I did before starting treatment. I think that is the case for most people because the treatment makes you feel worse at first if its working.

Posts: 41 | From Somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt that abx worked for me. I noticed almost immediately. I have been doing Ceftin and Azith with GSE. My sleep was the biggest thing I noticed and my muscles could feel like they would relax.

Funny thing too.. I see a naturopath for my thyroid and other items. He has been checking my Hashimotos antibodies from before the abx until now. My antibodies have gone from 600+ down to 200 since which is an indication of less inflammation.

Hope treatment works well for you and your family
Fuel

** edited to remove dosages **

[ 07-20-2011, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: sixgoofykids ]

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some are just beginning treatment here and many have been ill for years and years. So there is no yardstick for when you should begin feeling better.

It takes longer than most expect.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there are a lot of factors as to how fast people get well.

They say kids generally respond faster. I think that depends on how long they've been sick, what co-infections are present, lifestyle, rest, ability to detox.

In our experience, stress can really slow things down as well.

It's a long and bumpy roller coaster ride with lots of ups and downs.

Don't forget to keep a log. This is especially helpful on the really bad days when you think no progress is being made.

Hang in there......you're already on your way simply by identifying the problem.

[Smile] [group hug]

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme & the co-infections are very complicated. There are alot of variables such as other health problems, biofilms, parasites, correct diagnosis, length of time one has been infected, viruses, mycoplasmas...

I don't want to scare people with how difficult it is. It's good to give the abx a try but they don't always work for everyone. I believe some people may be misdiagnosed, too.

One big factor in treatment is to try an anti-parasite protocol. In my experience, this has been very important. There are alternatives to the abx if you find they do not work such as Rife machines, herbal medicines, homeopathy, infrared light, pulsed magnets, saunas, detox programs, etc. Good luck!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geet3721
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geet3721     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did once before but I think I stopped abx too soon and wasnt treated for everything coinfections etc. but I did feel 80% better once so I know its possible.

--------------------
When the going gets tough. . . I'll keep fighting!
Ms. Geet3721

New LLMD, New abx, New life coming right up!!!!

Posts: 714 | From La La Lyme Land | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had both experiences. When I first began abx they didn't help me a whole lot. I took some oral ceftin for about 3-5 months. Then I had IV Rochephin/Flagyl for 3 months. I felt worse.
No one was willing to Rx me anymore after that. I went for several years having none.
Then, I began clarithromycin for 2 years, then doxy was added for another year or so before I finally began feeling better.
My theory is that the Rochephin and Flagyl were just not long enough in duration to help me.
I have had this disease for years, before I even got a diagnosis. Probably 10-15 minimum. That's a long time for the bacteria to get ingrained in my body and lower my immune system. My NK cell count (not sure if that is the same as CD-57 or not?) is very low, still.
Hope this helps you.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did an array of antibiotics for a year and a half with hardly any improvement. Then started low dose doxy and thats when the improvement started.

I have been on Doxy for 2 years straight now and many of my symptoms are gone. Only a few remaining symptoms to go.

This just goes to show, that you never know what is going to be the thing that works for you.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement