LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Levaquin and fluoroquinolone danger ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Levaquin and fluoroquinolone danger ...
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/jan-june11/antibiotics_06-16.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so sad... but as with any drugs there will always be one or two that will have an extreme reaction!

I'm dripping my Zithromax for the first time right now and I'm petrified!! But if I don't try something I will continue to deteriorate and I'm so sick of living half dead! [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost sounds like these people may have had a herx rxn? Or I just have it stuck in my mind!
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you watch the video?? Way more than a "herx."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I just read the article. I will go back and see if I can on my computer. Thank you
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD was very clear it was a last resort drug and was to be taken seriously. For me it was the last resort before going on IV, which also has risks. I had severe, very severe, cognitive involvment that was disabling, not even considering how disabled I was physically. That was the cost/benefit analysis of Levaquin.

For Cipro, I had to consider that I had constant watery diarrhea and had to eat at least 4000 calories per day to maintain my weight, which was lower than it should be. I had a serious GI infection.

So, it wasn't taken lightly. I always cringe when people say they are on a Quinoline for strep or a sinus infections. Please .... ugh.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I know. Both people on the video were given Levaquin when other abx would have fixed their problem with ease.

One focus of the video was that we really need a type of "clearinghouse" for adverse drug reactions. There is NO such thing now and patients do not get the black box warnings that medical professionals receive.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was given Levaquin for a "sinus" infection on that fateful November day when they thought I had the flu. I actually didn't have a sinus infection I had Lyme! Anyway after 3 doses I ended up in the ER so we had to stop. Not sure if I was herxing or what but I got really sick from it. I have tried it again twice more but never once able to tolerate it from more than 3 days!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Wow six and lyme you are both very knowledgeable. I feel very lucky to have found such a great support group. So both of you went to germany and had treatment from what I read on another post, was that the last thing you have used as treatment?

I was just dx in oct of this year after becoming sicker and sicker after having a baby. I have had symptoms for most of my life looking back. My brother and sister also seem to have similar problems but they are younger and have yet to be diagnosed. My mom is wondering if she could have given it to all of us. My brother is very very sick!

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to Germany and continued that treatment to get to remission.

Lymetoo used abx to the end, and did not go to Germany.

I hope you feel better soon, Spindleshanks.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by sixgoofykids:

Lymetoo used abx to the end, and did not go to Germany.

-

Does BEING GERMAN count?? [Big Grin] Wish I could have gone there... have never been there!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe what I'm reading and researching here. I've said many times on this site something was triggered in me 15-18 mths ago. My PCP, my husband, my mother and even I noted that something just wasn't right with me.

March/April '10 I was rxed for UTI when I was already on rifampin. I couldn't figure out what that abx, which I'm positive was a fluoroquinclone added to rifampin did if anything but it did cause a full body rash.

I went to Ft Lauderdale for Spring Break '10 and was covered in a rash from head to toe. When I went back for my yearly this year I told them to mark my chart allergic reaction to that abx.

I'm calling pharmacy tomorrow and see which abx was rxed, but I'm pretty sure it was generic cipro.

Also I had done levaquin a few times in '09? Bartonella killer, and then I switched to rifampin in eary 2010 and did 3 mths of it again trying to knock bart down.

I've got alot of back tracking to do.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Octoberfest would be out of the question on a healing expedition to Germany huh...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken both Cipro & Levaquin but knew some of the risks but when you're desperate to live you'll do almost anything. These are new risks ...I might have thought about it even more if I'd seen this before. ty Lymetoo for posting.
Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew the risks too. But I didn't realize taking rifampin and fluoroquinoles together was real risky.

I didn't realize the abx I was taking was like taking rifampin and levaquin together. I wouldn't have done it. I did not spend the time to look at info on UTI abx.

I did search but I only went so far to see if it was common tx for UTI and it was and I did it with rifampin. GYN and pharamcy both had records of rifampin usage.

IMO rifampin and fluoroquinolone were big mistakes....I should have never gone back on abx. Period.

Bartonella is no little bacterial infection. I needed something for my serious GI issues and it helped but only short term.

TBTG I now know to just go after it my way and not the traditional medicine way. It's poison to me. Gotta love our FDA and Big Pharma? What a team?

Pam

--------------------

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Pam... where did it say that taking quinolones with rifampin was a dangerous mix??

Everyone here needs to SEE the video. Maybe those symptoms of "MS" are really damage from quinolones...??

I read elsewhere that they are linked to Sjogren's also.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

map1131
Member # 2022

I read something and then I came back here to post. Lost original site that stated it.

Went back for an hour last night and I did find some info that there is a reactions between the two abx. I was thinking and saved that site.

With fresh(er ?) mind let me go find what I originally seen that got me going.

I'm off to go by pharmacy and pick up my rx list from '09 & '10 before I forget. Imagine that?

Pam

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH, OK... I thought I missed something in the link above.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, tutu, thanks for sharing!

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by lymeboy:
I guess Octoberfest would be out of the question on a healing expedition to Germany huh...

When I went there were a bunch of people leaving who had been at Oktoberfest.

--------------------

map1131
Member # 2022

No I've found two sites of interest.
Google rifampin & fluoroquinolone toxicity and you 13,000 hits.

One from FDA warns of acceleration when taking rifampin with fluoroquinolones. Mighty strange reactions going on.

So explains my full body rash in April '10 and some added goodies to me mentally, emotionally and physically.

I'm having a hard time copying to lymenet. Bare with me.

So sad these folks being effected and no clue that TBI are most likely involved.

I knew rifampin was known for treating pn. I had very highly positive numbers for myco pn. I knew that's why I was having such a hard time with it.

Funny it helped my GI issues, opposite of what some studies find. It put some bad boy in his place(whereever that is), but it feels like kidney is the hang out these days.

Pam

--------------------

Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floroquinlones saved my live. I did rounds of Levaquin, Cipro and Factive. Minimal side effects for me and I took them for long periods of time. Everyone is different. With all medications benefit vs. risk should always be considered.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Mathias that's great they saved you life. I glad some are getting better....

but one man's medicine can be another man's poison.

I have the personal experience to talk about how abx can be poisonous to some. I'm not a lone ranger either.

One doesn't always know how one's body is going to react to all this meds that are being thrown at some. It scares the you know what out of me when I see some of the toxins people are putting in their bodies.....

just trying to kill this huge evil monster we call lyme & co?????????????

Then there's the people that think all you need to do is throw some mighty powerful abx at this mighty bacteria(s) and everything will be all better.

It's a huge process. It involves much more than some toxic BIG PHARMA ABX. Nobody can tell you which pieces of the puzzle you need to work with your abx protocol.

One must go out and find the other pieces by oneself. That is also a nightmare. Detox is key. So is support for all your major organs. Skin, liver, gall bladder, spleen, heart, hormone glands, GI, heart, brain.

Pam

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the warning about the quinolones on TV. They are extremely dangerous. When I took Levaquin I was told my risks were minimal, nothing to worry about. It gave me tendonitis which took 8 months to recover from.

But it did wonders for knocking down the bart. If I was back in that place and Rifampin or Bactrim DS failed me, I believe I would use it again but really up my magnesium and vitamin C before and during. I would also take a really good joint supplement - a very costly one that does wonders for healing tendons - in hopes of preventing damage. Even then, it is scary as it can also affect you mentally.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement