LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can cutting carbs = dizzy & nauseous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can cutting carbs = dizzy & nauseous?
momintexas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever gotten dizzy and nauseous from cutting back on carbs in the beginning?
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes for me it is! I become very weak, woozy and irritable. I'm barely 95lbs so cutting that out and I'm weak as a kitten. No can do. [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not unless you've cut WAY BACK.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scorpiogirl:
Yes for me it is! I become very weak, woozy and irritable. I'm barely 95lbs so cutting that out and I'm weak as a kitten. No can do. [Frown]

Same here! And I've got about 10 lbs. on scorpiogirl!

That type of eating plan works well for some, but not for others.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. I need carbs, I can't do all protein and veggies. I ate healthy carbs all through treatment without limiting them at all.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got weak after cutting back. I get dizzy but didn't notice it getting worse after cutting back on the carbs.

I had to cut a lot out because I ate mostly carbs prior to getting diagnosed with lyme. Most did come from veggies but a good amount came from grains. I ate pasta like 3 or 4 times/week. Very little meat as I had previously been a vegan but decided to just stick with eating healthy overall.

After I started treating for yeast, I had to cut way back. I did and at first felt awful. I would get weak and shaky. I believe this was related to blood sugar issues in my case.

For awhile now, I had been having hypoglycemic episodes all the time. During the 2-3 days my hypoglycemic episodes were out of control. My sugar kept dropping and I had a very hard time keeping it above 70. I decided to add some grains back in for a little while and I gradually cut them out. I did this over the course of about 10 days.

It seems to have worked well for me.

Since I've cut back on the grains, I haven't had another hypoglycemic episode. I've checked my sugar numerous times and it is actually more stable than it has ever been. Always around 85.

My experience also makes me wonder if yeast plays a role with blood sugar issues. It seems to me that if we're cutting off the yeast supply of sugar, then it is going to go after what we have left. Of course, I have no idea if this is true or not, but it makes sense in my mind.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's say you were eating 500 grams of carbs a day and you cut back to 250 .. you shouldn't feel horrible on that. (IMO)

Now if you cut back from 500 to 50 ... yeah, you're gonna feel like crap.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The brain will not survive for very long without glucose and without fats.

Simple Carbohydrates don't serve us well =
burn and crash. Complex Carbohydrates do and are necessary for life. If you google, you will find listings of either.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsScampi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrsScampi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question I am trying to cut out all carbs, and at the same time I started Rifampin and Diflucan, well my last dose of Rifampin was at 9pm last night and around 1 today my arms are heavy and weak and I am very anxious, No I am barely eating because of lack of things to eat, today I drank a glass of V8 ate an apple and have been snacking on sunflower seeds, when I get home I will eat some meat and salad, I don't know if its yeast or Rifampin trying to figure it out. Also my xanax is not working like it should ever since starting Rifampin
Posts: 200 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

EAT complex carbs!! Eat vegetables.. real ones.. like the GREEN kind!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

skies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a hard time on Diflucan. It could be a combination of that and adjusting your diet (maybe yeast die off)..?
However, Rifampin is a tough drug, too.

It's hard to say since you started both drugs and adjusted your diet at the same time.

Yes, do eat complex carbs like lymetoo said! It will only help you.

--------------------
"The simple things can get you through the hardest times."  -

Posts: 628 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs.Scampi-I had the very same reaction with the heavy, weak arms and anxiety since starting Bactrim for Bartonella. I guess this is part of Bart? I was wondering the same because I could make a fist but barely tighten it.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for all of the replies!
Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Complex carbs are not just vegetables. Eat brown rice, barely, quinoa etc. which are medium glycemic carbs. It takes a while for them to digest so your blood sugar does not spike.

Your body needs carbohydrates. I have a diabetic son and he can control his blood sugar as long as he does not eat more than 90 carbs per meal - complex carbs. You can even eat bread if you buy Ezekial bread which is sprouted grain and lower on the glycemic index than whole wheat.

Meat is toxic especially red meat eaten in huge portions. It is hard on your kidneys. When you are taking massive amounts of abx, you do not want to stress the liver and kidneys.

The Atkins diet is very unhealthy. Atkins died at the age of 72 from bleeding on the brain after a fall. But he had been suffering from congestive heart failure and high blood pressure and had already had a heart attack.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlp38
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 27221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlp38     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are eating too much sugar, you can and will definitely get headeches, etc when you originally cut those out. This is because your body needs time to adjust your insulin levels. Mark Furhman, on his book Eat to Live, explains this well.
Posts: 707 | From Colorado | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you eating enough calories? if cutting carbs caused you to limit your caloric intake to much that is bad. another thing....how is your sugar. do you have diabetes or hypoglcemia (some sugar issue)?

also if you are taking things to kill yeast with this new diet there can be die off.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement