LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV Arm Port?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV Arm Port?
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one have one? My cousin who is a Dr told me about them.
Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the queen of Central line problems so here is my take.

Port Catheter - under the skin. Useful if you get IV a few times a week. When not in use you can de-access the line and go about your business like normal. I opted out of this one b/c you have to go under general and two incisions are made to place the catheter. You also have to go under again to get it removed later. It did not make sense for me to get this one since I need to drip my IV at least once maybe twice a day. That means I would have to keep the line accessed at all time which defeats the purpose of being able to de-access the line at all.

That brings us to the Hickman line. This is less invasive and was done under sedation. I thought this would be a better than Picc line since it will be hidden under my shirt and out of the way. But pretty soon I realized that with a line out of my chest I could not take my detox baths! That was a big problem for me!

Then there is the intimacy part...let's just say it's a body part that hubby had a hard time not reaching for. And I could never hug him properly either.

Now I have a Picc line (Hickman was infected and had to be pulled). This line makes more sense to me. Much easier to wrap up and stick it out of the bathtub! So if I can keep this from getting infected then it's the best choice for me. Hope that helps.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure this is what you are referring to, but LLMD said dd could use a IV arm port (can't remember the true name just now) instead of the PICC line, since dd was nervous about having it close to her heart.

The IV arm port would only stay in for 3.5 days, then removed, then another put in after the 3.5 days of being off, and repeated so on.......

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep we discussed this one too...

I believe it is called a Midline IV. Longer lasting than the regular peripheral line and a little bit more sturdier. A midline IV has a significantly longer cannula than normal-- 6 or more inches and can stay in for 3-5 days before you have to pull it. Since I need to drip IV at least once a day (twice on many days) long term, it won't take long before I will run out of veins to access.

But more importantly the meds I'm getting are caustic and it is NOT advisable to drip through the peripheral veins!

Trust me if there was a viable option I would be the first one in line to get it!! B/c I have had so many complications I had to learn about them all!! [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI,
No, a mom with hope. The MD is talking about a regular peripheral IV, which needs to be changed every 3-5 days, depending how it is working (no redness, no swelling, no pain etc). Just a regular IV.

A midline is a peripheraly inserted catheter, with the end of it coming to the shoulder area. This put in like a PICC, using sterile technique (ie gown, mask, serile gloves etc) and is put in using a needle, and guide wire. It is not meant to be pulled out every 3-5 days. It can be used usually up to 4 weeks or so.
Some patients have trouble because it is a smaller catheter, sometimes difficult to flush.

A nurse can insert a midline at home as it does not need an xray to check for placement, as the catheter terminates at the shoulder area, so it is not considered a "central" line, meaning the end does not termainate near the heart.

Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, now that I see the name, that's what the LLND called it, a peripheral IV, so probably not the same IV--Arm Port IV--that the original poster was asking about.........sorry!
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jazzygirl24
Member # 30829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jazzygirl24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI a mom with hope, don't be sorry ! I was was just trying to help you!

Rosebuds mom, I beleive your cousin was talking about a pasport which is the same as a chest port a cath except the port is in the upper arm, usually on the inside of the arm by the bicep.

This used to be popular especially with women, because it was not as noticable as a chest port, lower profile.

But I am not sure it is used as much because they seem to be harder to access, they are smaler then a chest port, and you will have some limitations using the arm it is placed in ie exercise, lifting etc.

Grace

Posts: 27 | From central nj | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rosebuds mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rosebuds mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you for your responses.

Yes, jazzygirl thats the one. My cousin said that they are used frequently in LA (where she practices) because they are smaller and easier to deal with. It seems they use a child sized port and the scar is small?

I am not sure but would like to hear from someone who has one.

Posts: 118 | From Here | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also heard of them but have not ever seen one or used one. I have my port on my rib cage way down on my side. It is also placed there so it is less noticeable. Vanity purposes I will admit it! It is very small and easy to access. It can cause some discomfort when sleeping if it is accessed. It is hard to cover for a shower because of the shape of the body. Also because the tube runs all the way up under the skin under my armpit it was very sore when they put it in. I think the one in the arm might be a better option just because of these reasons but it is definitely an option that more and more docs are doing today. I had an oncology doctor place mine.
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement