LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » maybe i should try antidepressants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: maybe i should try antidepressants?
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just started suprax yesterday. before starting it i felt my cfs was slowly improving.

but a few hours after taking it (tiny dose of 200mg) i got so tired like i havent been for weeks and still am since then. also my asthma-like breathing and sleeping problems got worse. my arms are heavy again. i stopped the suprax.

i dont know why but i just cant stand any antibiotic anymore. i used to be able to take them all, but since my cfs started they all just cause more neurological symptoms.

actually i dont think i am more depressed than everybody with a chronic disease is, but i am wondering if my fatigue could be some drug- or bacteria-induced depression. maybe i should try antidepressants? i always rejected them but i have to get rid of this terrible fatigue. should i ask my llmd for ssri?

[ 07-01-2011, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: sickmate ]

Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymiss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have lyme disease? AFAIK, antidepressants are not going to help your Lyme disease. They are addictive, brain-altering drugs that once you start taking, you're going to have to take for a very long time - and weaning off of them is often very difficult.

I'm confused. CFS? You're seeing an LLMD for CFS?

Posts: 156 | From Virginia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymiss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics often make you feel worse before you feel better. How long have you had lyme? where did this CFS diagnosis come from? Many folks with lyme are misdiagnosed as having CFS. did your LLMD diagnose you with CFS? If you've had lyme for 10 years, it's probably going to take several years of antibiotic therapy before you feel better. It's the harsh reality of a chronic infection. some folks with TB or syphilis have antibiotic treatment for decades.

I think the folks in your other thread are onto something with co-infections. Testing for any bacterial infection is extremely unreliable. The fact that you had any kind of response to antibiotics is a clear sign of bacterial infection. If you didn't have an infection, antibiotics would have NO effect on you, whatsoever.

Posts: 156 | From Virginia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickmate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have already treated lyme for years, did have some success, then declined, got cfs and new symptoms from abx, cant stand antibiotics now anymore. the dont make me feel worse only at the beginning, they make me permanently worse now. believe me, i have tried and tried.

so i think i had an bacterial infection, maybe still have one, but abx only make it worse now.

i have been tested for everything you can think of. really. several times. my llmd says we cannot figure out exactly what infection i have.

Posts: 214 | From Home | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymiss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32018

Maybe someone who is into alternative therapies will come by and give you some advice on non-antibiotic treatments that may give you some relief.

I'm sorry that you're going through this and I sincerely hope you find something that helps you get over the hump!

Best of luck!

phyl6648
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phyl6648     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sickmate, I had the same thing happen to be with abx. My LLMD is trying to get rid of inflammation hoping that will help. She too says I have an infection but what to do and how to treat. I have depression/anxiety which I take xanax.

I am trying gluten free diet, fish oil, and other supplements. Sorry to say so far no good results.

Today I thought I would start treating myself with a few supplements including grape seed extract, guafenisin, bufferin for my aches.

I am so discouraged and feel where to go from here. Not much help but sure can relate.

Posts: 1058 | From VA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

thanks, anonymiss and phyl. more opinions on antidepressants against non-antibiotic-treatable fatigue?
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antibiotics failed me after years of remission on and off. Trying supplements and herbs. Don't know which way to go either. We have to hit something. Others do, I'm tired, scared and pretend that I'm myself when I feel the furthest from. It hurts to miss life. Try, that's all I can offer. This will be a thing of the past.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darwinsdream
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for darwinsdream     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am running into the same trouble as you all are - antibiotics just don't seem to work anymore.

If your like me, I wouldn't just go off of them. i crash hard and fast without them.

I did recently purchase Boneset Tea in bulk - you can find sources on planet thrives website.

Thanks to Chiquita (Thanks again!). When I was at my worst pain she helped me.

Anyway, this tea has helped me to cut down on the abx. It has helped my pain. Its also supposed to help regulate the immune system. I'm sure there's more I forgot, but it is helping me. Its good for babs and bart.

So, my suggestions is - don't give up - keep trying - you will find something that will help you.

I don't have alot of money anymore to spend on alternative docs so I have to do what i can on my own - like many here. This herb is not expensive.

Oh and Yum!! tastes like medicine.

Posts: 140 | From Phoenix AZ | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider Rifing. No drugs!!

Also consider the tricyclic antidepressants instead of the SSRI's.

such as: Trazodone, elavil, imipramine, etc

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsgotlyme
Member # 23691

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about trying salt/vitamin C? A lot of people have had success after they treat for parasites.

Have you ever tried herbs? I love Buhner's book. It is a possibility for the future if the abx stop working for my daughter or she gets to where she can't handle abx anymore.

Do you detox?

--------------------
symptoms since 1993 that I can remember. 9/2018 diagnosed with Borellia, Babesia Duncani, and Bartonella Hensalae thru DNA Connections.

Posts: 1470 | From Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on cymbalta. Seems to work for me.....
Problem is they don't always work right away, so people get discouraged
And
Sometimes you may have to try different ones to find the right one for you.

Pm me if you have more ?

Hang in there......

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

@lymeinputnam: Isnt it strange?, Ive also been in remission for over a year felt great, enjoyed life and then everything turned for the worse!

@phyl, darwinsdream and kidsgotlyme: I am also trying lowcarb, fishoil, VitC (unfortunately my gut doesnt tolerate more than 500mg), but it didnt help much so far. I would love to find a good herb-doc.

@lymetoo: Why do you think its better to take tricyclic antidepressants instead of SSRIs? Isnt the chance of becoming addicted higher with tricyclics?

racer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for racer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could also consider using Provigil or Vyvanse (ADD meds) for the fatigue. I could not function without them.

For more info see this article by a LLMD psychiatrist on how to help Lyme patients with psychiatric issues during their treatment:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/neuropsychiatry/content/article/10168/55056?pageNumber=2#

If you get bumped to the login page, try using the 'cached' version of the page.

--------------------
Me - Igenex: IgM: 41IND, IgG: 39IND, 41+ but Plasmid PCR Positive
Kiddo - after 1 year IV - positive Lyme culture (before IV: IgM:31,34,41,83-93 IND; IgG: 41+++, 66+)

Posts: 133 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone tried Lithium Orotate. My LLMD suggests this first before going on a SSRI. I have been on it, for a while. I did not have bad depression but seems to help spirits.

Thanks

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why hasn't anyone mentioned 5-HTP? It's way more effective than any SSRIs or any other prescription drugs, and it has no negative side effects. It's a shame that not enough people know about this wonderful supplement. Besides depression, it also works for anxiety, overeating, SAD, migraines, and other things as well. Only it doesn't do your laundry.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sickmate:

@lymetoo: Why do you think its better to take tricyclic antidepressants instead of SSRIs? Isnt the chance of becoming addicted higher with tricyclics?

-
I would say it's the other way around. SSRI's don't seem to gel with Lyme patients. Do searches here on past discussions.

James... 5-htp is basically what trazodone is

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything that changes brain chemistry artificially is scary for me....

SSRI's should be last resort... IMO

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Fuel - I agree.

Lymetoo - but 5-HTP is completely natural (the body makes it out of tryptophan from the protein you eat) whereas trazodone is artificial. I think it's a big difference.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

I don't know. Many drugs are derived from the natural. I tried 5-HTP but didn't know at the time that is was basically the same thing. I was already on traz.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sickmate
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31502

Well first i must say again it helps a lot to read of others with very similar problems!

I can understand that some warn about antidepressants being brain-altering drugs that change the brain chemistry artificially. In a way thats also what i think and im afraid of.

but then flagyl and tinidazol have already altered my brain in a very scary way. i think its remarkable that on this forum people are not warned about this possibility very often. last resort? yes, maybe. if you cant leave the house, cant work, its kind of this. only one pill of suprax one week ago has deteriorated my symptoms in a terrible way again.

racer, im also a bit afraid of taking provigil because i have read of others that it only masked their fatigue, they became more active and then crashed badly. but its great that it helps you.

ive read the article you recommended. for others: bransfield says pregabalin, trazodone, quetiapine, tiagabine, Modafinil are good options against psychiatric issues of lyme (as are antibiotics).

i am also thankful for mentioning lithium and 5-htp. these are also options i will try to discuss with a psychiatrist.of course i also prefer natural options.

paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrary to what some may tell you, antidepressants like Paxil, Proxac, etc. are NOT addictive. They tweak your neurotransmitters - serotonin primarily.

Is tweaking your neurotransmitters a bad thing? No. What is a bad thing is borrelia ravaging your brain so that you are deficient in serotonin, causing depression, panic, anxiety, OCD, bipolar disorder, dementia, and insanity.

Depression and other psychiatric disorders can have a fatal outcome.

Myself, I was prescribed Paxil about 15 years ago and am still on it. It was a wonder drug for me and other members of my family. I experience no side effects from it, unlike the older antidepressants which had numerous side effects.

Is Paxil difficult to wean off of? Yes. Your psychiatrist can transition you to Prozac which has a longer half-life. Weaning off Prozac gradually is very doable.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

5-htp has been shown in studies to raise serotonin levels more effectively and quicker than any prescription antidepressants. The body does not build a tolerance to 5-htp, and there are no withdrawel effects. Also it doesn't cause any side effects. Why, then, would someone use a prescription med that raises serotinin, instead of 5-htp which does a better job at raising serotonin and is completely natural?
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
antidepressants can really help if you are having mental health issues. some like cymbalta can help pain. the only one I know of that might help your energy is welbutrin.

I woudnt expect the antidepressants to change your fatigue too much.

i took ritalin for severe fatigue. it helped alot.

the only antidepressant I EVER had trouble getting off of was effexor. I have been on many and never had an issue besides that.

The process of finding the right antidepressant is hard an long. its trial and error really. What works for me prob wont work for you. you have to patient as most of them take at least 2-4 weeks to kick in. If one doesnt work, the next one might.

Good luck

oh and 5htp made me horrible sick with gi symptoms

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbaer
Member # 31938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbaer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on benzo's for years. Just recently I have tried getting off them. It's harder than getting off hydrocodone. I have panic attacks, heart rate and BP goes through the roof, can't sleep. It's such a struggle, i wouldn't unless you absolutely have to. Maybe just go easier on treatment so life is a little easier? It's not a quick battle, but a long war. Take care everyone
Posts: 80 | From scottsdale | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulieinct
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulieinct     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jbaer:
I've been on benzo's for years. Just recently I have tried getting off them. It's harder than getting off hydrocodone. I have panic attacks, heart rate and BP goes through the roof, can't sleep. It's such a struggle, i wouldn't unless you absolutely have to. Maybe just go easier on treatment so life is a little easier? It's not a quick battle, but a long war. Take care everyone

Benzodiazepam is not an antidepressant, it is a tranquilizer. Tranquilizers are addictive. Antidepressants are not addictive.

--------------------
Sick since at least age 6, now 67. Decades of misdiagnosis. Numerous arthritic, neuro, psych, vision, cardiac symptoms. Been treating for 7 years, incl 8 mos on IV. Bart was missed so now treating that.

Posts: 765 | From nw ct | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement