LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about alpha lipoic acid......

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about alpha lipoic acid......
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance it can CAUSE pain in some people?? I swear I heard about 10 yrs ago that it could. I used to take it but stopped a long time ago.

Now I can't remember if that is why I stopped taking it. (duh)

Kinda need to know. Thanks!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it can. It is a sulfur based supplement and some people have a problem with sulfur. I was taking it and some other sulfur based supplements when I had methylation testing that showed a CBS upregulation. My doctor told me to go off immediately. Sulfur based supplements turn into toxins (sulfites and ammonia) in those who have this problem.

There could be other reasons that I'm not aware of. I'm interested in seeing what others have to say.

edited to add:
For me it caused burning muscles, eyes, hands, feet and more fatigue. The burning in my muscles made it hard to move without a lot of burning type pain. I don't know if it affects everyone with sulfur issues the same way.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!!!

Is MSM a problem for the same reason then?? I DO take MSM.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

hmmm .. how would I know if I'm sensitive to it? just leave it off and see??

i take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM combo

when I don't take it I have pain

but .. maybe I could try a glucosamine/chondroitin mix to see if that's even better

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to know it is in that sulfate group because it is on the list that can trigger porphyria. (thats what i was told )

The other thing is I dont know if you have any senstivities to any of the "other ingredients" like the capsule or presevatives (i dont think they are required to tell what presevatives are on it completely.

Just a thought.

... actually i am not completely sure that glucosamine chindriotin isnt sulfate. might want to check that out.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

thanks!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, now I am really thinking. Trying to figure out why my joints are worse and my muscles ache. I get lupus enduced type symptoms with sulfur based products. I had no idea alpha lipoic acid had sulfur in it.

What do people take instead of alpha lipoic acid since it is so good for you?

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this:

Sulfa Vs. Sulfites Vs. Sulfur Allergies � Confusing Terminology

By Dr. Myatt

SSomeone wrote and asked me about Alpha-lipoic acid, to wit:

"I have had a life long allergic reaction to sulpha � it crystallizes in my urine, making urination difficult. I just started taking ALA as an aide for glaucoma. I am 60 yrs. old.

I understand that ALA is supha based. How should I proceed?

Thank you,

Sal"

Hey Sal, there should be no problem with alpha lipoic acid, and �sulfa� (a drug) does not cause allergic reactions because of the sulfur content. Here�s the scoop.

Sulfur (chemical symbol: S) is a naturally occurring non-metallic element that comprises 0.25% of the human body. It is the 8th most prevalent element in the body. (A)

Elements found in the human body at their approximate amounts:
� Oxygen (65%)
� Carbon (18%)
� Hydrogen (10%)
� Nitrogen (3%)
� Calcium (1.5%)
� Phosphorus (1.0%)
� Potassium (0.35%)
� Sulfur (0.25%)
� Sodium (0.15%)
� Magnesium (0.05%)
� Copper, Zinc, Selenium, Molybdenum, Fluorine, Chlorine, Iodine, Manganese, Cobalt, Iron (0.70%)
� Lithium, Strontium, Aluminum, Silicon, Lead, Vanadium, Arsenic, Bromine (trace amounts)

Sulfur is an essential mineral, meaning that the body MUST have it. Sulfur is found in two amino acids, cysteine and methionine. Methionine is an essential amino acid. (B)

Sulfur is a component of many proteins, vitamins and hormones. Sulfur-containing compounds in humans include methionine, cysteine, homocysteine, cystathione, S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe), taurine, thiamin, biotin, alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), coenzyme A, glutathione (GSH), chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine sulfate, fibrinogen, heparin, metallothionein, and inorganic sulfate. (C)

There is no such thing as a sulfur allergy, just as there is no such thing as an allergy to oxygen , carbon or calcium, all of which also occur in the human body in high amounts. Anyone who was truly allergic to sulfur would be dead!

Sulfate (SO4) is a molecule which contains sulfur and oxygen. It occurs in nature and is found in most natural water including rain water. It is also the form of sulfur most commonly used to fertilize plants. (D) Sulfate may have a laxative effect that can lead to dehydration, especially in infants. Adults become �acclimatized� to high sulfate levels. (E).The current U.S. EPA national Secondary Maximum Contaminant Level for sulfate, is 250 mg/L (U.S. EPA, 1990).

Sulfite (SO3) is another molecule that contains sulfur. Sulfite is used on foods and some wines as antioxidants, and can cause asthmatic reactions. Sulfites are rare in medications.

Sulfites are used as preservatives on vegetables, especially vegetables in salad bars. This is probably the most common source of sulfite allergy reactions.

Sulfa drugs (sulfonamide class of antibiotics), contain sulfur but allergies and other reactions are not from the sulfur per se. Rather, the complex sulfonamine molecule can form proteins that are allergenic in some individuals. The sulfur atom is NOT the allergenic agent and being allergic to sulfa drugs does NOT imply having an allergy to sulfur.

Sulfa antibiotics include Septra�, Bactrim� and Pediazole�.

Go ahead, Sal, and take alpha-lipoic acid without concern for your history of sulfa drug allergy. And be sure to look for more in-depth information about proven treatments for glaucoma coming up in the next edition of HealthBeat News.

In Health,

Dr. Myatt

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ktk, that was very informative. Thanks.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

The methylation cycle problem has nothing to do with allergies. It is a genetic problem that is likely exacerbtaed by lyme.

You may want to try some sulfur strips to see if your sulfur is too high.

My LLMD had me first check to see if sulfur might be a problem by having me order the sulfur strips from Dr. Yasko's site.

http://www.holisticheal.com/sulfate-so42-testem-quant.html

The sulfur strips showed high sulfur so I had the genetic testing and the results showed the problem.

There are things you can take for a sulfur problem that will help. One is a product by nutrimedix called sparga.

Dr. Cowden developed this but not for the methylation problem. He explains it here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OLzyNc6GU0

Here is the product
http://www.nutramedix.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37&idcategory=0

If sulfur is a problem you would be well served to cut down on meat and other foods that exacerbate the ammonia problem and to deal with excess sulfur and ammonia. Yasko has a protocol to deal with it that I've posted here before.

I had forgotten that years ago I read some speculation that ALA may cause redistrubtion of heavy metals including depositing it into the brain. Something to look into.

Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

Here is a brief explanation of the problem by another doctor:

http://www.vsan.org/rok-az/methylation/Genetic_Analysis_Report_summary_sheet_1.pdf
"CBS (Cystathione-Beta-Synthase) � helps to convert homocysteine into glutathione (major antioxidant in the body).

If a defect exists it will affect ammonia detoxification because excess sulfur in the body (endogenous or exogenous sources, ie. supplements like MSM, Epsom Salt or medications such as DMPS) can be converted to ammonia."

Also, this defect can affect an enzyme called G6PDH which has negative effects on blood sugar metabolism and red blood cell formation and blood vessel stability (easy bruising, bleeding, broken blood vessels)."

Go to Yasko's discussion group if you want more info
Go to her discussion group and sign on for discussion of CBS issues.
http://www.ch3nutrigenomics.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=6ddb9f1180ebc6eeaebc66541c1d3f04

BTW - there is another genetic mutation that causes problems with sulfur but I don't know much about it because I didn't have it. It is called SUOX. You can read about that on her site too if you are interested.

Terry

NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is highly likely that if you have a problem with ALA its because it is a highly active chelator of slow pool mercury deposits particularly in the brain and cns. All sulphur based compounds move mercury around so if you have problems with these compounds this is a likely culprit.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement