LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Interviewing New LLMD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interviewing New LLMD
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon I will have an appointment with a potential new LLMD. I hope to interview them and try to determine if we would be a good fit. The change would be very beneficial financially.

What should I be asking and what specific information should I be trying to find out? I have some general ideas but what would you want to know about a Doc beforehand?

Thanks for any help

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you use Igenex Lab?

Do you treat until symptoms are gone?

What is your plan for treating possible babesia?

What is your plan for treating possible bartonella?

Do you believe in candida/yeast and treat accordingly if needed?

Do you treat coinfections if the patient has symptoms but a negative test?

What antibiotics are in your "arsenal?"

How often do I need to see you??

Do you use IV if necessary?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I reach you if I have questions during treatment? (email, call, etc.), and a follow up about who will be answering those questions (is it a nurse practitioner, a PA, etc.).
Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I care about: "How many have you CURED and please give me the names of these patients to verify you're being truthful."
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of interviewing a doctor. That made me smile and chuckle.

Seek, you know that is not a fair question to ask a doctor? Cured is achievable but it all depends on the patient too.

Doctor can only do so much. So much is left up to the patient to do their part. Many great LLMDs give patients informational sheets on extra protocols and ways to help speed up or even live thru the experience.

The LLMD is not responsible for patients that fail their part of the test. The patient failed to follow thru with every method to help themselves.

Would you ask a cancer doctor what his % of cure rate was? Maybe that would be a good question. Do cancer doctors really follow thru on all the things a cancer patient should do on their own to help themselves heal from cancer.

In fact I would say the majority of cancer doctors don't know what else a patient should do in order to make their chances better.

Do we always blame the cancer doctor for failures of curing cancer patients? Or is it the system and support that cancer patients should have with alternative thinking healers in combo with traditional medicine?

Just some food for thought!

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A doctor can't give someone the names of their patients. That would be a violation of privacy.

I suggest you contact lyme support groups in the doctor's state and find out all you can about his cure rate. Do they know of people he has cured? If so, will they give you their names?

If the support group will give you names of some of his current or former patients, then you can find out how he treats also. For example, does he follow the Burrascano protocol?

You can also call the doctor's office and ask if the doctor follows Burrascano. If they ask what you mean by that you say:

Does he treat with high dose combinations of antibiotics as recommended by Burrascano?

Does he use Igenex lab?

Does he test for coinfections and treat them based on symptoms?

Does he use the meds recommended by Burrascano for coinfections?

Does he prescribe supplements as recommended in Burrascano?

If he doesn't follow Burrascano, then ask what protocol he follows. Ideally, you don't make an appt with a lyme doc until you know his philosophy of treatment. If his philosophy lines up with yours, then that is a good fit. If it doesn't, no sense making an appt and spending all that time and money only to find it out then.

If the doc has a website, that often gives this type of info.

These are some of the things I would want to know about the doc BEFORE the appointment.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thank you for these great ideas...

Now if I can do this without putting her on the defensive... hmmm?

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others have given you some excellent advice.

Top of the list for me is asking if he/she is an ILADS member. They are typically plugged into the lyme community, keep up with new discoveries and issues and have a whole group of doctors to brainstorm with if needed.

www.ilads.org

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelTampa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 24868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MichaelTampa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the list of questions I'd ask (if I were nervy enough to ask all the questions I actually cared about):

- Is he/she willing to prescribe weeks of antihelminthics to treat parasites seriously?

- Is he/she able to use energy testing in some form to determine appropriate abx to prescribe?

Posts: 1927 | From se usa | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lada
Member # 32618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly I'd start by getting a through explanation of all your labs. I'd then ask about they docs approach and what kind of treatment he plans for you. Medications, herbs and there potontial side effects. What to do in a herx? And when to know if something not Lyme related is going on. Also I can't stress enough how importnant good customer service is. These llmds are busy, but they need to care about us. Make sure you sense that! And trust your own body!
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement