LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone have this symptom and have it resolve?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone have this symptom and have it resolve?
undiagnosed22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for undiagnosed22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

From day one my most annoying symptom has been the feeling that I have trouble swallowing. It feels like the muscles/ veins in the right side of my neck are swollen or something and like they may be pushing down on my esophogus, making my swallowing sensation feel abnormal and like nothing goes down the right side - but it does, bc I can eat/ drink anything. The right side of my neck also feels chunky and thick. I also had HUGE lymph nodes, but those are so much better with treatment, but not the swallowing issue.

I have been treating since November and even though I have a ways to go, have seen definite improvement in other areas. From what I have read, it sounds like this symptom may be from Babs. ...In any event, has anyone had this symptom and had it resolve?

Also, can you please describe your swallowing issues?

Right now, I am on Bicillin inj, rifampin, mino, and a bunch of supps.

Thanks!

Posts: 200 | From Boston | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that too! And I hate it!!! I also feel like I have a huge lump in my throat at times or like I have to "double swallow". Sometimes, I instinctively put my hand at the bottom of my throat and pull down. Not sure why but I feel like that helps me to swallow.

Mine does seem to have improved in that it doesn't happen all the time anymore. It was pretty much continuous for me and was what convinced me something other than anxiety was at play.

I'd be curious to see what others say too.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
undiagnosed22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28152

Icon 1 posted      Profile for undiagnosed22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long did you have this for before you saw any improvement philly?Do you know what meds helped? I am beside myself with this.
Posts: 200 | From Boston | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm on doxycycline I am always clearing my throat because it feels like it is full of mucus. It's very annoying and gives me a headache sometimes. This isn't the same as what you're describing but I shared it because it has to do with the throat.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I get that too James. Except there is no mucous there! I do more than just clear my throat though. I try to spit the nothingness out! Drives my hubby insane!

I started to see improvement 3-4 weeks into starting abx but I still get it fairly often. It really was continuous before and I thought that may have been why I lost weight. I wasn't really eating much. But I eat now...ALL day long and still can't gain weight.

But I digress. I've been taking Bactrim and Ceftin and a bunch of supps. Instead of it being continuous, I get it intermittently, but still everyday. I did notice though that I tend to dwell on it when it does happen and that only makes it worse.

I only just realized that on Thursday while I was at work. It happened but I was so busy I couldn't pay attention to it and it didn't bother me as much as it normally does.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
philly - I don't get any mucous either! I'm glad you said that, because I didn't think it was common. Sometimes I thought it was GERD, but I just don't have anything coming up from my stomach.

This only happens to me when I'm on doxy, though. When I switch to different abx it stops immediately, and when I'm back on doxy it starts again. That's why for me I'm associating it with the doxy.

To the OP "undiagnosed": I apologize for hijacking your thread! Hopefully somebody will have a more similar symptom as yours. Have you checked for thyroid issues? Do you have thyroid nodules? Have you checked your thyroid hormone levels?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
undiagnosed22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28152

Yes, I am hypothyroid. I am being treated for it. I hope someone else with similar symptoms responds too... [Frown]
Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am newly dx and have had major gastro problems. As I got sicker and new sympts developed that was one of them. It is exactly as you described. Mine is intermit and I never know when it's going to happen. It has been so bad at times I feel like i need to use a bottle brush or something and clean out my esophagus. Totally wouldn't do that of course! I do have a hiatal hernia and really bad gastritis which my lyme md says is from bartonella. It does seem to be better if I stay on my protonix which is a proton pump inhibitor. Also I tried Carafate which coats your stomach and it seemed to help a little also but it is very restrictive on when and how you have to take it so I opted to just stick with the protonix. I know the feeling isn't in the stomach but sometimes what we fell can be referred to different areas. Sorry I hope this makes sense.
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Anyone else?

--------------------

Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had something strange with the swallowing (not exactly like yours). Initially it happened when I was eating. It felt like a lump in my throat, or like my throat wasn't going to let food go down it (kind of closing).

I also felt like I was panic swallowing whenever I took a vitamin(double swallow, then stopped and tried again). I used to worry my pill was going to go down the wrong pipe.

I thought my issue was allergy related (didn't know I had lyme when I first got this symptom).

Acupuncture has helped (in the jaw). My acupuncture treatments build up my immune system and also calm me down (treats my whole body).

It doesn't happen all the time anymore (once in a while). I've gotten better at swallowing pills, and can eat without this happening anymore.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2kids
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2kids     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to tilt my head down in order to swallow, like I am looking down at the floor. My tongue is also usually swollen, but mor so at night. I can't evn put my teeth together because it is in the way. I also feel like my mouth/throat have been "slimed", it's the worst in the morning. I have not been "officially" DX'd and not on any ABX or TX for Lyme. And my lymph nodes in neck are swollen 24/7 for last couple of years, left side more than right.

--------------------
Down on her knees, she wept on the floor.
This hopeless life, she wanted no more.
Dead in the mind and cold to the bone,
She opened her eyes and saw she was alone. ~Seether

Posts: 427 | From Rhode Island | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthernGirl
Member # 32702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthernGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had difficulty swallowing...but mine was a symptom of reflux (which my llmd thinks is caused by the lyme!) I'm on Nexium and it has been amazing [Smile] So sorry you are struggling with this!

--------------------
http://confessionsofalymie.wordpress.com/

http://letterstoasoldier.wordpress.com/

Posts: 8 | From Down South | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globus_pharyngis

i have had this off and on for years, sometimes lasting months and sometimes a day. they said that mine was caused by gerd and stress. but it's real--even though called globus hystericus--and can be from inflammation too.

Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymiss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had a weird lump feeling in my throat for over a month now, probably longer. It went away for awhile on antibiotics but it is back now. It's pretty much exactly like you describe, I feel like I will not be able to swallow and sometimes I have to swallow twice. I have also developed a habit of clearing my throat repeatedly to try and dislodge whatever is stuck in there (but there's not anything stuck in there).

At first, before I suspected Lyme as the cause of my "arthritis" and myriad of other symptoms, I thought it was my adenoids because it felt almost the same as when those were all swollen up a few years back, but it's more down in my throat rather than up behind my nose where the adenoids are.

It's pretty annoying and I have no idea what causes it. I read something about partial paralysis of the esophagus related to Lyme but I am not sure if that is what this is or not. It's almost like part of my esophagus is numb and that's why it feels like a lump.

I hope it goes away soon!

Posts: 156 | From Virginia | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement