LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question on Rifampin and herxing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question on Rifampin and herxing
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my third day of Rifampin-not even at the full dose yet. I was in bed all day....can hardly move the pain and fatigue is so bad.

Im also really weepy.....episodes of sobbing on and off all day....at least i have emotions again..lol

So Im assuming this is a herx and a good sign??? I hope! I wanted to check in because I heard rifampin can cause mood changes...but I don't know much more than that.

--------------------
Psalm 119:50
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"mood changes"? HA!

Try going from a butterfly to a fire-breathing man eating shark in 10 seconds or less and give it a calm name like that. It just don't fit.

[lol]

Rifampin is one of the harder drugs to take and it can cause "mood changes" for some. I absolutely can not say it is a herx you are having, so do get your docs opinions.

I can say it is a tough drug to handle for many.

Hope you feel better soon... and before you do any damage with those "mood changes"!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horrible drug,,worst ever made according to me.

I had only 2 pills a day apart and was bedridden for weeks from it. MY llmd stoppped it right away since my reaction was so bad.

I had vibrating nerves from head to toe that I could see jump under my skin, could not get out of bed due to balance and dizziness, nausea, severe headpain, fast heartrate, very high BP from it and so much more.

I was told it was not a herx but a drug reaction that many many people have from it so give the doc a call. Mood swings is a drug reaction and you may be allergic to its contents too.

Feel better

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh no...Im so anxious today I want to jump out of my skin, and I hung up on client at work who was rude. I think this isnt the drug for me. From now on, I think Im only going to fill a weeks worth before i pay for it. [Frown] Im so bummed out right now.

What else treats bart?

--------------------

Posts: 292 | From Heaven | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SScott
Member # 30415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SScott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed the first week on rifampin, emotional not really physical (crying, etc). Strange for a grown man! After 10 days started to feel better. After 3 weeks I was more like myself than I had been in years. If your dr thinks it is a herx and not a reaction, stick it out, it is a strong but very good drug, just not for everyone.
Posts: 32 | From Atlanta | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok scott, thanks. maybe I'll call my doctor and see what to do. Im confused, I have such issues with anxiety and this is almost unbearable. But i forgot what really intense herxing is like, it's been about four or five months since i've herxed. I do remember feeling like I was going to lose it though.

--------------------

annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annier1071     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenn

Ask the doctor to give you a few xanax or valium to get you through the next two weeks if that is all the symptoms you are having from it.

I had so many physical symptoms they had to stop it asap. The xanax will ease the anxiety while you adjust to the meds

--------------------
Diagnosed with chronic neuro lyme 12/10 after 30 years of vertigo.2 tick bites in 3 yrs from upstate NY. Was on omincef for nine mths..zith and rifampin stopped.Remission~ All the pain and symptoms are back and I am not treating now with biaxin.

Posts: 788 | From New york..queens | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently started rifampin (300 my bid) and doxy (100 mg bid). I felt very poorly about 5 days into it, ended up with 2 bouts of tachycardia, my left hip and right knee became very sore, making it hard to walk up the stairs in my house, and I had headaches and a slightly stiff neck. After about 3 and 1/2 weeks that all passed. It was definitely a herx reaction in me....

I'm sorry you are suffering.....I understand. Only you and your doctor can decide if you should stay on the drug or not. I've been on this combo (I'm also on antivirals) for 2 months, and the worst of the herx is over.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Rifampin for two weeks. The first four days were not that great. I had head pressure, dizzy, fatigue and heart palps. Not too bad the next 9 days. Some slight pressure, nervous, dizzy and some fatigue, but happy and energized. Now the past two days I have had more pulsatile tinnitus, dizziness, anxiety, ear pressure and fatigue. I am also very sad the past couple days, but I have also been out of my SamE.

I see my Dr. tomorrow. Maybe I will ask for some xanax in case the heart palps get too overwhelming.

I am going to push through and detox detox detox.

Jennifer, maybe the SamE will help you ?? Hang in there it is a good drug !

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it took me two weeks to adjust to it as well. I'm noticing a pattern w/ new meds now. My body takes 1-2 weeks to adjust and then I'm fine...although I never could tolerate Levaquin or Doxy! I tried it on 3 separation occasions and couldn't handle it.

Could you try a smaller dose? I do like Rifampin.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

Ok I emailed my doc , she said stop for a few days then start every other day. Im already taking xanax Annier....it's hardly touching it, but it's taking the edge off a little.

Im in so much more pain, spasms too......especially my lower legs/ankles. It's excruciating...especially at night, I'm very shaky..from my core..feels like im vibrating. Also every step I take feels like I'm going to fall into a pit. I want to hang in there though, I need to beat this Bart!

--------------------

annier1071
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28977

Jenn

When you say you are shaking to the core...that is exactly what happened to me with rifampin. At first he said try it again after a weeks break but the he came back and said just to stop it completely. He felt the severe herx or allergy to rifampin was far worse to my body.

There are many other drugs to take for bart.
Feel better quick

--------------------

lada
Member # 32618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rif did not work for me from the get go. To strong and made me very sick. Not going back with that one again. I'd explain to your doc what's going on. When I did, was told to stop asap.
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennifer70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30280

How do u know when it's too much for you though. If you watch Under Our Skin, the young woman on there seems to have the worst herx reactions I've ever seen or heard about.

Almost looked like seizures or something when she herx's. How do u know when to give up on an antibiotic?

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement