LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » please help-Mepron question-ready to give up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help-Mepron question-ready to give up
beths
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started mepron in addition to my malarone @ 4 weeks ago-haven't felt better since.

Can you feel crappy for weeks when starting mepron?

I definitely have the weekly flare where I can barely get off the sofa, however the rest of the week not feeling so hot either. I am ready to give up-the fatigue is overwhelming
The flares are getting a little better.

Anyone with their mepron story?

[ 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: beths ]

Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baileypup
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baileypup     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never felt lousy on Mepron, although it took a while to see improvement. I think it's so individual, the way we respond to drugs, and the bug-load that we carry.
Posts: 964 | From san diego | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes four weeks to completely build up in your system so you often feel the worst around that time. You should begin to feel better soon. It was a slow crawl for me but I am much better now. Hang in there!

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beths     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 1276 | From maryland | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed right at 4 weeks and then about every weekend. At month 3 I had the worst fatigue EVER! I could barely move for 5 days. That cleared and I think my Babesia symptoms are practically gone but its a little hard to be sure since I think Bartonella stepped in and made me feel lousy again.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh I feel pretty bad every day with Mepron. I am pulsing it, so I don't even deal with it daily. I also take Rifampin and Biaxin. I have felt increasingly worse since starting 4 weeks ago. I don't feel like I am herxing wildly, just pretty lousy on a steady basis. I have been on 4 weeks as well, so perhaps we could compare notes as we go along.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeboy Rifampin reduces the concentration of Mepron in your blood. As less than 50% of Mepron is absorbed, taking it with Rifampin makes it a complete waste of money.

In addition Mepron takes 4 weeks to build up to theraputic levels in your body so I do not know why your LLMD would have you pulsing it.

Rifampin is not a drug you should stop and start because it will give you flu like symptoms. If that is what you are doing, it could contribute to the way you feel.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

I don't either. Yes I feel like doody when I take Rifampin. And Mepron for that matter.

I sent him an email about this very subject. He said he would give me a blood test to check for Mepron levels. Why not give me a different drug?

I am pretty aggravated. After spending 2 grand at the initial appt, then another 400 for the follow up, I am completely out of all money. I have nothing left. I'm done. And this f$#@ing $#@! is screwing me around with garbage treatment? I really don't get it. I would like to punch him in the face. Honestly. I cannot take this any more. Even if I could find a good doc, I can no longer afford it. What should I say to this putz when I see him on Monday?

BTW, others here have said Rifampin + Mepron was an effective treatment for them. It's doing something for me, Not sure what, But I feel like death.

ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeboy:
I am so sorry for your struggles. This should not be happening to sick patients. I hope you get answers soon!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beths
Member # 18864

Anyone else pulse mepron?
lr26
Member # 7437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lr26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Beths,

I pulsed Mepron for around 4 months. I couldn't handle the herx. My LLMD Doc, who I really trust believes in quality of life during treatment. Then I took it for 2 months every day for 3 wks, then one week off to detox. I am no longer on it and have no more babs symtoms.

Still have lyme symtoms. :-( Will it ever end??

lr26

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beths, I think we spoke before on another thread.

I pulse Mepron 1 tsp BID (this is a therapeutic blood level for me as shown by blood tests). I do this 3 weeks on and one week off. I can't take a Macrolide or Bactrim. I had a momentous herx at the end of month 3. The fatigue was awful for 5 days, I didn't have any energy to even move. Im good now though.

My Bart symptoms are full force and I don't have a strong reaction to A-Bab which I started taking a week ago to see if Babesia is still an issue. Im hoping this is good and I can treat for 2 more months and be done.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Lymeboy, when speaking with your LLMD, instead of quoting people on the forum, reference the drug interactions listed on this site from the makers of the drug.

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_mepron.pdf

Drug Interactions: Rifampin: In a study with 13 HIV-infected volunteers, the oral
administration of rifampin 600 mg every 24 hours with MEPRON Suspension 750 mg every
12 hours resulted in a 52% � 13% decrease in the average steady-state plasma atovaquone
concentration and a 37% � 42% increase in the average steady-state plasma rifampin
concentration. The half-life of atovaquone decreased from 82 � 36 hours when administered
without rifampin to 50 � 16 hours with rifampin.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/rifampin-side-effects.html

The 'flu-like syndrome' generally occurs with intermittent dosing of rifampin, in patients with poor adherence to daily rifampin therapy, and when daily rifampin is resumed after a drug free period.

--------------------

nefferdun
Member # 20157

PS, I know how aggravating it can be. I am in the same position currently treating myself with a GP who prescribes what I recommend. I traveled thousands of miles to see what I thought was the guru of LLMDs only to be given the no brainer Mepron/zithro with no treatment for my other infections.

--------------------

lymeboy
Unregistered

Thank you. I sent him an email with links to two different sources, including the indications included with Mepron. I wonder if I would be better suited to do what you're doing. LLMD's are just as aggravating to me as a regular doc. In fact more so. I just don't understand how you can charge 800% more than a regular doc and just slap any old crap on someone's regimen.
missing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it for a year.

loved it, it really helped, but I felt like crap,

I just got off of Mepron.

Getting all the bugs out is a really tough process.

--------------------
I am not a doctor. I have no clue.

Posts: 606 | From somewhere out there | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you ever get tested for mycoplasma? Did you test positive for Babs?

Zith and Mepron gave me my life back. At 3 weeks I felt weird but knew it was a herx.

Have done Biaxin, Mepron & Artemisin too, last 3 months. Off of everything now since liver numbers too high.

Your doctor should be checking your liver numbers weekly and your mepron numbers at 3 weeks from start. That's how they know whether to increase your dosage or not.

If you don't have a positive test for babs, you might be treating the wrong infection or you have a very bad case of candida.

Contact me if you need to. Don't give up on your treatment.

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter didn't smile for six months on Mepron. She hallucinated. It was bad. It might have helped, we aren't sure.

After that, Minocycline really helped. But, it was one we had to ramp up veeeeery slowling.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement