LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 4 YEAR OLD NEPHEW HAS BULLSEYE RASH

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 YEAR OLD NEPHEW HAS BULLSEYE RASH
DDEC2
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DDEC2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Myself and my sister live in the same neighborhood. I went to visit her today and she pointed out a bullseye rash on his right leg near his sock line and asked me where do i think he bumped himself.

The alarm went off quickly in my head and i immediately jumped him in the car and we both rushed him to the ER.

While at the ER the doctors and nurses were early dismissive. They said that the appearence of the rash simply meant you got bit not that you contracted lyme. I then broke down my experience of what i been going through for the past year.

They left the room and returned within 15 minutes saying i was right the CDC states that the rash is an early indicator of lyme.

They gave him 3 weeks worth of amoxicillin.

Im thankful that the ER actually took the time to look into the issue and help us but i am so fearful. Will this medicine actually rid him of the lyme??

The last thing i want is for him to go through any of the things i am currently going through.

For the first time im actually thankful for my illness cause had i not contracted it i would have still been ignorant on the topic and my nephew would have got worse.

To think 3 weeks ago my primary told me there is no lyme in Illinois... what a joke.

Any info on children under 5 with lyme would be greatly appreciated.

*hers a photo took a few hours ago.  -

--------------------
Igenex results 4-6-2011:
IGM 23-25:IND,31++,41++,58+,66+,83-93+

IGG 30+,39+,41+++

Posts: 80 | From Chicago IL | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 5 year old nephew has congenital Lyme and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm glad that your voice was heard at the ER.

Do you think 3 weeks of antibiotics is enough? Most would say 6 weeks but he is a child so not sure if it is different.

I wish him well!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three weeks is NOT enough! Look up Dr. B's Lyme Guidelines in the stickies at the top of this forum or on the ILADS website (ILADS.org). Check to see what he says about kids re dosage and time length. Make SURE that he gets that dosage and time length of amoxicillin.

ANd watch for any symptoms during or after the abx. If he has any symptoms, time to go to an LLMD. It wouldn't hurt to investigate ahead of time who to take him to and make an appt, which you could cancel, if not needed (it takes time to investigate and get an appt---months often).

whew, that was a close call! Definitely check though, as the dosage he was given may or may not be right, and 3 weeks is NOT right. Get his pediatrician or whoever to continue the abx for 6 weeks or whatever Dr. B says.

How stupid and ignorant can these drs be?!? Plenty it seems.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t9im
Member # 25489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t9im   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi DDEC2:

Good work on this as the bulls eye is the clinical diagnosis allowed by the CDC and IDSA for Lyme without serological evidence.

The standard IDSA is 7 to 10 days of doxy or 3 weeks of amoxy.

Children under 8 should not due doxy (doxy is the preferred 1st choice as it is also effective with co infections, not sure on amoxy).

LLMD's double the time line as they have seen treatment failure with the short course. I think it was Dr. Masters (now deceased so it should be OK to post his name) who showed longer treatment resulted in less treatment failures.

Not sure is you'll be able to have a regular MD prescribe more than the 3 weeks.

--------------------
Tim

Posts: 1111 | From Glastonbury, CT | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good on you for getting the ER to at least give you three weeks of abx! I don't know if that is enough or not but at least they listened to you. My coworker came to me after she pulled an embedded tick from her daughter and her pediatrician will not give her anything.

I do know that when my niece was bitten, she was given 28 days of amoxi but that was several years ago. I didn't know then what I know now and while she is doing well and not having any symptoms, I would have had her mom push for an extra two weeks of abx just to be on the safe side.

This is a paragraph from the ABC's of Lyme Disease....

quote:
When Lyme disease is a possible diagnosis, the children should be evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable physician who will continue antibiotic therapy until all Lyme symptoms resolve. In most circumstances, Ixodes scapularis tick attachment should be treated with one month of antibiotic therapy.
As Rumigirl stated, watch for symptoms! that is going to be important.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDEC2
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DDEC2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. I will make sure he gets all he needs.

--------------------
Igenex results 4-6-2011:

IGG 30+,39+,41+++

Posts: 80 | From Chicago IL | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDEC2
Member # 30313

*UPDATE*

Just thought id update everyone on the status of my nephew.

The little guy is doing fine hasn't even developed as much as a fever. My LLMD says a few more weeks of abx and he will be good to go (as long as he remains symptom free that is)

On a more interesting note the Chicago department of environmental health has been in close contact and due to my nephews case an investigation is underway to determine the presence of lyme in my area.

Hopefully some awareness will be made apparent and they already said they intend to make the necessary arrangements to attempt to have the tick population controlled in my area.

Thanks again everyone.

--------------------
Igenex results 4-6-2011:

IGG 30+,39+,41+++

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement