LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » On Antibiotics For 6 weeks And Worse Than Ever

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Antibiotics For 6 weeks And Worse Than Ever
Tennessee1
Member # 32425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tennessee1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Zithromax for almost a month and have taken Ceftin for 3 weeks.

Week 5 of treatment, I thought I was feeling some better. In the fifth week of treatment, three out of 4 days, I exercised for 20 minutes. One day, in the fifth week I spent about 3 hours outdoors and got extremely hot and fatigued by the heat.

The day after I got so hot, I had a MAJOR setback. In the sixth week of treatment I've been sicker than I have ever been since my illness started a year ago.

I have abdominal pain which I think is nerve pain. It's always been uncomfortable, but this past week it's been downright painful. My ribs hurt and I seem to be having some difficulty breathing. And, I feel incredibly weak. I can barely get up and walk around. When I do walk around, I feel much sicker.

Is it normal after you've started antibiotic treatment to become sicker with Lyme than you ever have been before?

Posts: 18 | From Tennessee | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is safe to say this can be the norm. The antibiotics are killing off the lyme. This can lead to a lot of toxins in your system.

You MUST detox in whatever way or form you have available to release the toxins out of your system. These are usually why you feel so bad.

If you have the money, I recommend an infrared sauna, or some way to release the toxins. Do a search on this forum for detox methods and there should be a TON of threads.

I have had really good luck with a sauna. Not only has it helped me regulate body temperature and sweat again, but it also helps me release the toxins that Lyme is responsible for. I used to be VERY intolerable of heat, and could not sweat no matter what. Much better now..

Hope this help
Fuel

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I got lots worse before I started getting better.

Heat and I do not seem to get along well either. Although I'm doing better with it than I was.

Are you detoxing? Sweating enough and drinking plenty of water?

Did you get bitten in TN? I am from there...and was bitten there.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, be careful to not over exert yourself...that can cause set backs (I'm talking to myself here as much as to you).

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also expect to have monthly flares of symptoms while treating borellia. Mine always coincided with the full moon. These flares help you to gauge your progress with borellia.

You probably have co-infections that the abx you are on is not addressing. There are overlapping symptoms but some are specific to individual infections. The co-infections flare differently and are harder for me to figure out. After treating borellia for awhile you and your LLMD will be more aware of symptoms that might be co-infections and need different meds.

Hang in there. It is a marathon, not a sprint. 6 weeks is a very short time. I treated borellia first and was feeling much better in about 3 months. But then I declined again, not realizing it was bart which is why the abx I was using for borellia did not work any more.

I believe recognizing infections and treating them all early is key to successful treatment.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marathon I agree. But so worth it..Keep up the good work...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon water helps me detox.

I have a difficult time breathing when it's humid, plus, it knocks me out (really tired & humid today).

I can't do much outside anymore (I used to go on walks & outdoor shopping). I noticed it is harder for me to be outside as my treatment progresses (I feel and look really sick). I think it's the humidity. My doc is treating me for babesia too (air hunger).

Just keep plugging along and try water with lemon in it (it really helps). Plus, you have to drink a lot more water than you used to when you have lyme.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooldog71
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pooldog71     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tennessee

Unfortunately, it does happen quite often. Are you seeing an LLMD? In any case you might want to discuss the breathing issue with your doctor.

I feel for you and want you to know that most of us had similar experiences that were also miserable at times. I guess it is part of the process that we must go through to get to the next step.

I have learned that this disease is very individual and is a bit different for everyone. As Nefferdun pointed out that you will probably have monthly flares of symptoms while treating borellia. For many people these flares are every 4 weeks. But not for everyone, in fact during 1 1/2 years of treatment, my flares are unpredictable and I do not know when they will come. The important point is that we are all a little different in how our symptoms affect us.

For me this was pretty scary at first, but I have adapted and try to appreciate each nice moment, hour and day that I have. And the good news for me is that the good days have been happening more often. But if you are going thru something that doesn't seem right, ask your doctor and/or ask here.

There are a lot of good ideas above, drinking lots of water (especially with lemon) is a key component to my doc. Detoxing is very important, and with many different methods. Another couple that helped me, were parsley drops and epsom salt baths.
Parsley drops at 10 per every ten minutes for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, helps me when I have that crummy feeling all over.
A hot Epsom salt bath can help you feel better and help to relax. Try a drop or 2 of peppermint oil, it is especially nice and adds some aromatherapy to the process.

Create a list of resources and remedies that you can call on when especially needed. I am glad you have found this forum, and I hope that for you, like me, find this to be a great resource.

Hope you are feeling better...

Posts: 164 | From California | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lada
Member # 32618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post pool dog I agree with all you said. I drink a Tom of lemon water and I also add peppermint to my baths. Both so helpful.
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement