LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » enlarged heart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: enlarged heart
Dexter
Member # 30590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
echocardiogram shows that I have an enlarged heart. have appt. with cardiologist Thursday to discuss.

after doing a quick search I saw some other people dealt with this. Is it common with TBI's?

thanks.

Posts: 44 | From Pa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i, too, was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. the cardio i saw said not to worry. however, another gastro did seem concerned.

i don't know what to believe.

let me know how it goes.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. The cardio told you not to worry randi? That just seems odd to me. Did they do tests to figure out what caused it? I would think they would want to figure that out.

I don't know much about it in relation to TBIs but it seems very plausible to me. Lyme can affect us in many ways and I see this as no exception. It can happen when too much stress is placed on the body and Lord knows we are stressed!

Depending on what is causing it, it will go away when the underlying condition is treated.

I just did a search on google and here is what the merk manual has to say on lyme and enlarged heart.
-----------------------
Myocardial abnormalities occur in about 8% of patients within weeks of EM. They include fluctuating degrees of atrioventricular block (1st-degree, Wenckebach, or 3rd-degree) and, rarely, myopericarditis with chest pain, reduced ejection fractions, and cardiomegaly.
-----------------------

Very brief but it is mentioned as a symptom.

Here is another link with a few things to say concerning cardiomegaly.

http://cmbi.bjmu.edu.cn/uptodate/myopericardial%20disease/Etiology/Early%20disseminated%20Lyme%20disease-%20Cardiac%20manifestations.htm

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nope, the doc said not to worry. i, too, read about enlarged hearts and it wasn't good.

i've had high bp for years and apparently the doctor was not treating it properly. the cardio doc said i was not on high enough bp meds so they increased my diovan from 160 to 320.

my father had an enlarged heart and died of a heart attack at 67. it does run in my family.

i would like to go to another cardio doc and have a different opinion.

he did that gel thing with the wand and found it. i passed the treadmill stress test with no problem.

his advice -- loose weight.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. I think people with parasites have it.
Will see what Gael knows about this.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have a "slightly enlarged" heart.

I passed all cardio tests just fine and was told not to worry about it as well.

My cardiologist is keeping an eye on it and feels it will go away once the infection is gone.

I go every 3 months to have it checked.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

geez, my doc said "call if you have problems".

uhh, like what, a heart attack?

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momintexas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randi,

Did your cardiologist run tests to see if your heart was functioning normally??

Mine also said "call if you have problems" but said he wants to see me every 3 months regardless.

Posts: 1408 | From Tx | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

yeah, he ran tests. treadmill, etc., all kinds. no invasive stuff tho.

he didn't seem, well, concerned. he almost made a remark to my husband, which po'd me. that i was a "classic type a" and asked him "is she always like this?"

i was very nervous and was swinging my feet while sitting on the table.

duh...so that makes me classic type a? nerves...

what the hell did he mean by that?

--------------------

momintexas
Member # 23391

Ohhhhhhh that would make me mad!

I'd find another cardiologist!!

I really like mine, but he'd be kind of far for you.

philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would find another cardio too. Enlarged heart is a symptom...not a disease and there has to be something causing it.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a slightly enlarged heart, diagnosed several years ago. It was cardiomyopathy.

The way they diagnose it is by using that 'gel' and 'wand', but that's really called an echocardiogram.

They should also state what your ejection fraction is (55%+ is normal. 50%+ semi-normal). If it's below that level, your heart isn't beating as strong as it should be.

It is important to find out the reason for any enlarged heart. Reasons can vary from clogged arteries, previous heart attack, cardiomyopathy (usually genetic or viral), and several other diseases. In my case, I just take heart meds and my heart returned to near-normal.

Anther worthwhile test to consider is a heart MRI. More detailed than an echo and also more accurate.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter
Member # 30590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back from cardio consult. my numbers were a little high. he said it might be normal for me considering my athletic past but ordered a nuclear stress test and holter monitor to be safe.

I asked about Lyme and he actually did not laugh. said he knows about the damage Lyme can do to the heart. he did not say this was the reason for my problem.

thanks for the replies though it looks like one of the parasite replies disappeared unless I am losing my mind again.

Posts: 44 | From Pa | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement