LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The significance of IND bands

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The significance of IND bands
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do the IND bands really mean? Is it significant at all?

I'm stressed out. I had neuro-psychological testing done on my son and his IQ has dropped significantly. The doc who did the testing also said his eval was not consistent with ADHD which was what he was diagnosed with by someone different last year. I always new that wasn't it.

He's been in the gifted program and now struggles in school.

He is very disorganized, can't remember anything, cannot concentrate, and gets tired very easily.

I did have him tested through Igenex but he wasn't considered positive. We are treating him for mycoplasma though as his numbers for that showed an active infection.

I mentioned to my hubby and some other family members that I still think he has lyme and they all think I'm nuts. I just cannot shake the feeling about it though.

I was looking at his test results again, and while he isn't positive on any significant bands, he does come back IND on band 39IGG which is specific for lyme.

So what exactly does the IND mean? Is it like a weak positive? Or is it not significant at all?

We go back to the doctor next Wed and I'm not sure if I should push for a different type of testing or not.

I don't know. I'm just so worried about him. I think I'm gonna ask the chiro to do muscle testing on him at our appt tomorrow. He has been so helpful for me, maybe he can point me in the right direction.

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course you will get different answers from different people....here is my opinion.

You want the right answer for your son. So, test for lots of things and treat for what looks most obviously wrong.

I saw Dr. F at Columbia University Medical Center. He tosses out IND bands...does not use them. He is a wise man trying to find the correct answer to this problem...so I also choose to discount IND bands.

If your son has high antibody titers to Mycoplasma, then maybe that is his problem. I once spoke to the assistant of Dr. Joel Baseman (mycoplasma expert): http://www.uthscsa.edu/micro/faculty/jbb/jbb.asp She told me that if the antibody titer was in the 200-300 at least (1:200 or greater) then possibly mycoplasma was an issue. Since my antibody titer was 1:64 (IgG) I knew it wasn't an issue for me.

I've been tested for lots of pathogens. See: http://chronicfatigue.stanford.edu/ and it looks like enteroviruses, HSV1, HHV-6 and others are problems for me. (I've also had at least 20 western blots done for Lyme at numerous labs--and Lyme may or may not be a problem--I certainly tested positive for lots of bands--but I also have antibody titers as high as the lab measures to Coxsackie B4 and Cpn).

I'd take a good look at his mycoplasma test result. If it is high, that might be his problem. If not, I'd keep looking. And even if mycoplasma is his problem, it may not be his only problem (unfortunately).

Good luck,
Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lab tech saw SOMETHING when he/she decided on the IND and not a negative (no-show).

I say it's a weak positive, like many LLMD's say.

Dr F is great, but is not a treating LLMD.

Western Blot Explanation
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is pretty much what my LLMD said timaca....treat with what we know is going on. I guess that is the best approach.

I've become all OCD on getting to the bottom of what is going on with him to the point that it isn't healthy!

I know everyone will have differing opinions on what the IND bands mean as I have come across just that in searching online.

Thanks for the input...both of you.

We did start him on Biaxin. I have been paying close attention to his symptoms to see if anything changes for better or for worse.

Would treating myco make you herx? My guess was no, and I thought if that did happen, then we are dealing with lyme. Thoughts?

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess that you could herx on myco treatment. Ask momintexas.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
philly~ I get a very defined herx reaction when I start antibiotics (which I've done several times and I always have a MAJOR problem--one put me in the ER with extended tachycardia --3 hours--other times I've been in tachycardia --among other problems--in front of my ID doctor at a major medical institution --recently named in the top 20 in the country--and I may or may not have Lyme.... but I sure get herx reactions!

I'm sure most people on this board would say I do based on the number of bands I've tested positive for and my herx reactions...but I may, I may not. I do believe with all my heart that I have chronic bacterial and chronic viral infections going on. And I think Lyme may be part of the mix but one cannot say for sure...I've never been culture positive for Lyme and I've never been CDC positive at SUNY, MDL or other labs (except Igenex).

And, by the way, when I'm given antivirals I also get a herx reaction. And when the viruses reactivate (which has been documented with labs) it is not a fun time and also involves tachycardia (among other things).

I do not have mycoplasma so I can't say from personal experience that I get a herx from that, but it is likely that I have chlamydia pneumonia (because I have antibody titers as high as the lab measures to both IgG and IgA) and when I'm given antibiotics I have a major problem (such that all my doctors say--don't travel anywhere for 2 weeks after starting these!)

This is a very long answer which says getting a herx does not mean you have lyme. It may indicate that you have a chronic bacterial infection. That's all you can assume...

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

From the link above:

"If enough of the complexes are formed, eventually it may be seen with the naked eye as a dark band. - Band intensity reflects how dark or wide it is. Controversy exists about band intensity.

Many would say the " +/-" equivocal ["IND"] bands are not significant. The problem I have with that, is that there are "-" negative bands. The lab has no trouble calling some bands negative. So they must be seeing something when they put "+/-" at some bands.

The only thing that makes sense, is that there is a little bit of that antibody present in your serum. If the "+/-" equivocal is reported on the borrelia associated bands, it is usually significant, in my clinical experience. This is a strong clue that I am on the right track.

Instead of ignoring these, they should be a red flag to keep pursuing a laboratory diagnosis. Giving patients 4 weeks of antibiotics (usually tetracycline, 500 mg, 3 times a day), will convert a negative or equivocal Western blot to positive in about 36% of cases.

As mentioned, if these positive blots are found by specialty labs, over 99% of those patients will respond to antibiotics." -- Dr C of MO

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

philly78
Member # 31069

I may not be doing the right thing but I'm going with my instincts on this one. I've decided to put my own lyme treatment on hold and focus on my son.

I have a relative who sees Dr. C in Pa, and I was able to get in for my son to see her on Sept 8th. She is pretty much out of my price range financially but I will find a way to make it work. I always do! But that means putting things on hold for me.

I want someone with more experience with kids taking a look at my son. The drop in the IQ from 150+ to 104 has me greatly concerned. This is a kid who had all A's and was/is in the gifted program. At this point, I fear he won't make it throughout school if things aren't managed appropriately.

I feel confidant that Dr. C will be able to shed some light on the situation.

--------------------

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OmegaBrite is available in kids dosages.

I PROMISE it will help him! It downregulates a LOT!

It is absolutely the BEST EPA-DHA-VitE formulation.

The Omega 6-Omega3 are way out of balance.

I have no connection to this product which my own son uses (ADHD/Seizures/Autism/learning disabilities - genetic - brain vascular alterations on MRA.)

OmegaBrite lowered my sis' CRP to its lowest level in years (late stage lyme...misdx'd orig. and given steroids before abx.= disaster).

She does not have neuro lyme or any neuro symptoms possibly because of Prozac...highest doses allowed...maybe protective (?)

Didn't stop the joint destruction though.

Mg (and Ca) are needed to make antibodies - our response. If Mg is deficient (it is) then the testing cannot possibly be accurate.

Ask for PLA2 testing (likely high) and PTH (also likely high) and vitamin D levels (could be dropping).

PROBIOTICS...always! Yougart and any other way you can get them into him.

Talk with his doc about simply applying some VIRGIN coconut oil to his skin after his bath/shower. We DO absorb things thru our skin. It sort of resembles crisco, but melts at body temp. or you can warm it slightly.

It is the caprylic acid in it that maybe key.

In the liver, caprylic acid converts (hopefully...if the liver is functioning fully) to BHB which crosses the blood brain barrier and enters the citric acid cycle in the mitochondria (powerhouses of the cells) where it helps to make ATP. ATP will drive Mg back into the cell.

This is how the "medicinal food" called Axona for Alzheimer's disease works. What I have described above is exactly what the pharm. company claims. It takes time...slowly...a few months before a turn-around begins.

Mg works best with B6. Talk to his doc about using topical MgCl and sublingual B6 (so the liver doesn't have to convert B6 to its active form (PLP/P5P).

His doctor can give you dosage suggestions.

God Bless.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

TY Marnie! I'm off to try and find it right now! I'm gonna call local health food stores and the pharmacy.

--------------------

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta get OmegaBrite via the internet ONLY. Sorry, it is relatively expensive, but IMO worth every cent!

VCO is in many health food stores.

MgCl and sub B6 are avail. over the internet too...Amazon...but talk to his doc first for dosages!

We were typing at the same time. Re-read my post above.

Depending on his age and weight...

MgCl (tiny amt. applied topically - might burn a little for a very short time). This is what to look for:

Trace Minerals Research Liquimins Mega - Mag Liquid Magnesium, Low Sodium, 4-Ounce (Pack of 3)

and sublingual B6 25mg?(dissolves under the tongue fast and does not taste bad):

Source Naturals Coenzymated B-6, 25mg , 120 Tablets (Pack of 2)"

Absolutely MUST have doc's okay and guidance re: doses/timing of MgCl and sub B6 (these are not expensive).

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie - do you think the Trace Minerals Liquid Mag is more effective than Ancient Minerals Mag Oil?

If it works to apply Trace Minerals stuff on a smaller body area, then I'm all for that! I think the mag oil feels gross.

Coincidentally, I just got the 3-pack of the TM liquid mag in the mail yesterday from Amazon. I've been adding it to my water once or twice a day. It tastes pretty yucky.

Thanks

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Member # 31069

Oh boo. I guess I'll order the Omega-brite online then. And I'll look into the other things you mentioned. I would never do anything potentially harmful to my little man! Thanks for the warnings about being cautious!

--------------------

jeffinca11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeffinca11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some good labs out there besides Igenex that actually take insurance.

Medical Diagnostic Labs tests for both lyme and co-infections. http://www.mdlab.com

They also show the entire Western Blot strip. Call and ask them to ship you a patient test kit for tick born diseases.

Stony Brook University has a famous Lyme testing Lab. They will ship the test kit to your doctor only.

http://www.path.sunysb.edu/labsvs/ticklab.htm

Ask your doctor to have the lab "report all bands"

Imugen tests for Babesia, Ehrlichia and Lyme.

http://www.imugen.com

Clongen is a very good lab. Call and ask them to send you a test kit. They do not take any insurance. They test for lyme and co-infections.

http://www.clongen.com

Good luck.

Posts: 165 | From lymeland | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Runner17
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Runner17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first western blot done through quest lab. I had two reactive bands IGG18 and IGM23. I started on doxy by ,y general practitioner. Three weeks later went to a LLMD. My Igenix test had only IND bands.

I continued to treat Lyme anyway in hopes that is what I really had. After four weeks of treatment by my LLMD a bulls eye rash showed up. I have had another bulls eye rash since. I have not been reinfected.

I have since learned that my LLMD didn't mail my blood to ingenix until Monday when it was drawn on Thursday. Which may have made a difference.

Anyway, my point is anyone can clearly have Lyme with IND bands. Best of luck and I hope the doctor you take him to is helpful.

Posts: 132 | From Somewhere | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement