LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Phantom smells... what do you smell?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Phantom smells... what do you smell?
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 5 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a while there I was getting waves of what seemed like a stale cigarette smoke smell. At first I blamed my significant other because he smokes outside - but it wasn't quite his brand. Then it turns out only I could smell it and I would get this anywhere I was: work, driving, home. Lately, it's turned into a "need to clean the bathroom" smell even though the bathroom doesn't smell or I'm not near the bathroom when I smell it. And, it's not me that smells and I can't track it to anything.

So I was curious... what are other people's phantom smells?

--------------------
IgM: [18++,31+++,34++,41++,83-93+] [39 IND]
IgG: [41 IND]
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.
Currently treating for Lyme, Bartonella, Babesia

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've smelled everything from onions to pooo, yuck...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philly78
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 31069

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philly78     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoke. I always think there is a fire some where near or that maybe I left something in the oven. It may sound rather gross but I often will scent what smells like C-diff out of nowhere! Ewe! Grosses me out when it happens.

I've had other times where I smell random things but it isn't ever anything pleasant! Why can't I randomly smell cookies baking?

--------------------
When faced with pain you have two choices....either quit and accept the circumstances, OR make the decision to fight with all the resources you have at your disposal.

Posts: 1000 | From PA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burnt electrical wires, dead rats, cigarettes, pee in the alley. But never anything pleasant though!! [Frown]

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unpleasant things... I wonder why that is? Weird.

--------------------
Positive according to IGeneX. Negative according to CDC. Negative for co-infections.

Posts: 225 | From Minnesota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider an infection in your sinuses, mouth or throat. It took me years to figure out that I had a mycoplasma pneumonia infection -- well after the point of initial infection.

Two of Boston's "top" ENT docs in 2004 and 2005 dismissed my symptoms, including the phantom smells.

If they were more diagnostic, and better listeners, they could have prevented the worsening infection which took (more than) SIX years from my life.

In the meantime, consider a xylitol rinse several times daily as it works against biofilms. Xylitol helps get rid of sinus infections. Here's a great $11 investment:

No More Allergies, Asthma or Sinus Infections: The Revolutionary Approach

http://www.amazon.com/More-Allergies-Asthma-Sinus-Infections/dp/product-description/1893910881

Also see the DENT Connection forum on the biofilmcommunity site:

http://www.biofilmcommunity.org/forum.php

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the stale cigarette smoke smell! I haven't had that in a while, but I remember getting that early on.

The probable reason that it's stopped for me is that I rinse my sinuses regularly.

Does anyone know if this is correlated to any particular coinfection?

--------------------
-chaps
�Listen to the bell, Borrelia. It tolls for thee!�

Posts: 631 | From A little place called, "we'll see." | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tiredmom21
Member # 28479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tiredmom21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't belive you started this thread. I totally smell cigarette smoke! I blame dh but then I smell it at work too. So bad it gives me a headache. I did test pos for myco pneu but never connected that to the smell. Good to have insight...will be doing the sinus rinses!
Posts: 47 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sleeping dog
Member # 27267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in addition to the phantom smells (like fire and foul swampy water), i've also experienced changes in smells (all milk and yogurt smell spoiled) and hyper sensitivity to pleasant smells (like flowers, detergent, soap, and strawberries). at times, it has been so bad that i have pulled fresh sheets off my bed in the middle night and thrown away fresh flowers because the scent was overwhelming. has anyone else ad this? it's crazy. i ended up throwing away a lot of things and having to buy a lot of 'scent-free' products. the joys of lyme never end! smiles...
Posts: 43 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
little_olive
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for little_olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cigarette smoke.
Posts: 512 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No lie, I was just saying to my mom that every few seconds i get a whiff of dirty/sweaty feet!!! GROSSS! lol

I am in a nice hotel and I can not pin the smell down from ANYthing!

I even JUST got out of the shower so I know its not me....
My feet don't ever stink anyway, I'm a girl [Razz]

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
discariot
Member # 27067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for discariot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cigarette smoke, stale as well as fresh. Ammonia.
Posts: 15 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeniferM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeniferM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my nose has gotten so sensitive that I've thrown away everything that contains added fragrance. I'm even down to bathing with plain baking soda and an extremely mild shampoo that I order over the internet. I can't even stand to be near others if they smell of soap, cologne/perfume, or even fabric softener. It's terrible!

--------------------

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well it's the "outhouse" smell that really gets me. yuck...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hambone
Member # 29535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hambone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy cow!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been yapping at my husband for years now that I keep smelling cigarette smoke, and nobody here smokes and never has!!!!

He always says I'm crazy and he never smells anything.

I never have any sinus issues though. None. I seem to breathe just fine.

I just assumed I have a bionic smeller and maybe a neighbor is smoking. When I was pregnant 20 years ago, I could smell dog poop in a yard 5 houses down. I kid you not.

Posts: 1142 | From South | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smelled a dead rat for a long stretch. And sometimes I smelled smoke. Its better now though. I think it is a neuro lyme symptom.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement