LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » THIS ARTICLE NEEDS OUR RESPONSE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THIS ARTICLE NEEDS OUR RESPONSE
daystar1952
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had tried to get The New London Day ( A Connecticut Newspaper) to do an article on a couple of families whose grown children were refused antibiotic treatment in the mental facilities of Yale and another mental institution. The patients had definite histories of Lyme.

Anyway, the paper ended up printing this harmful article about Lyme. Please find the time to respond in their comment section. You do have to create a password and sign in to comment.Sorry I put this in the medical section but I figured more people would see it. Thankyou

http://www.theday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110724/OP01/307249990

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone read the article yet? What are your thoughts?
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I guess no one in that author's family has ever struggled with lyme.

What a crock. I was curious as to what the comments were that had been posted, but couldn't link to it.

What it really makes me wonder is how much information out there is just plain garbage? If this article is so blatantly wrong, how many other topics are twisted to the writer's view?

Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jackie51....I found when I clicked a second time on the make comment/view comments...then I scrolled down the comments were there.

Very disturbing article...but if you don't have chronic lyme or haven't seen it first hand it's hard to believe. Any of them can borrow my body for a day & mine never got as bad as it could have if I hadn't changed doctors..to one who listened to me instead of all the text books he had to study from! I credit him with saving my life!!

Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilacs48
Member # 20025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilacs48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jackie51....I found when I clicked a second time on the make comment/view comments...then I scrolled down the comments were there.

Very disturbing article...but if you don't have chronic lyme or haven't seen it first hand it's hard to believe. Any of them can borrow my body for a day & mine never got as bad as it could have if I hadn't changed doctors..to one who listened to me instead of all the text books he had to study from! I credit him with saving my life!!

Posts: 75 | From Missouri | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BethHurts
Member # 32708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BethHurts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My blood is boiling. I haven't even been to a LLMD yet, so I might not even have Lyme but the fact that I haven't been able to get treated or seen by a doctor that knows anything about LD is so telling.

I'm sick as can be. I'm getting worse each week that passes, and yet nobody can figure out whats wrong with me.

And seriously, why is it okay for my rheumatologist to diagnose me with seronegative RA and put me on liver-damaging methotrexate and nobody blinks?

I'm still learning about this controversy and I don't know all the statistics and facts, however I do know first hand how it affects people who are sick. It is NOT right.

Beth

--------------------
Beth
Undiagnosed since 7/2009

Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity. ~Hippocrates

Posts: 31 | From North Texas | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Here is an axcellent overview of why Lyme disease is underdiagnosed http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2010/10/sort-version-of-why-lyme-disease-is.html
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beth the facts are that MS/ALS/Alzheimers/Parkinsons/Autism/GWS/CFS/etc. etc. etc. is Lyme stealth hiding in the neurons and now seen by the super microscopes as they freely dock at the terminals load and unload and takeoff again...

And they hope to hold on to all those profits to vaccine induced antigens they now give and the 200 in the wings like the Malaria, TB and HIV that they have milked billions for that will never work...

Crimes against humanity like no other as they now find that all Malaria pt.s also have Lyme.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erikjh1972
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erikjh1972     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, the place where is became famous, still acts like this, what a joke.

--------------------
3 months Doxy
8 months of Tetra
7 months of Biaxin/Plaq.
4 months Doxy/Biaxin/Plaq.
5 months Biaxin/Plaq.
Back on Doxy/Biax/Plaq
On the road to recovery.
Trying to make people Lyme Aware.......

Posts: 289 | From R.I. | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MamaBear11
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MamaBear11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my local newspaper. They posted a brief article early last week about Blumenthal's pending announcement, i got so angry reading those comments that my husband actually told me to stop reading them. He was right, there is no point to it, it will just make me angry,

But reading this editorial today, I just want to cry. I want to scream. How can so many people be so ignorant about this and force people like us to suffer?!?!? For the first time since I was diagnosed last fall (after being sick and misdiagnosed for 15 years) I truly feel like our situation is hopeless. We will just suffer until we die.

--------------------
Untreated Lyme for 25+ years.
Two kids, too much pain & fatigue, no hope of ever being able to treat.

Posts: 310 | From Northeast | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep fighting mamabear you can get there...When you get well you can kick harder...

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MamaBear - don't lose hope! There are a ton of good things going on for us this year. One HUGE thing is the new bill from Blumenthal. If that thing passes, it could be a game-changer!

Also there's the Oct 22nd IDSA protest. I hope that thing will be big, so that it gets a lot of publicity and (maybe) changes a few people's minds.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LLM
Member # 31144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LLM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a pretty current, factual rebuttal to the editorial:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leo-galland-md/lyme-disease-symptoms_b_876096.html

The Infectious Diseases Society of America has stated that three weeks of antibiotics will cure "over 95 percent" of people with Lyme disease. But many experts have challenged these treatment guidelines as being inaccurate. As I see it, even if the Infectious Diseases Society of America's guidelines are accurate, they are grossly inadequate: a failure rate approaching five percent for a curable disease is unacceptable. ...
Let's check the math: At present there are about 30,000 new cases of Lyme disease reported to state health departments each year. Everyone acknowledges that under-reporting is the rule, so that there are undoubtedly many more cases of Lyme disease acquired in the U.S. every year. The annual incidence is probably more than 100,000 new cases each year.

Lyme disease has been with us for at least 30 years. So, even if the failure rate of the IDSA guidelines is only 1 to 4 percent, as claimed, there are tens of thousands of Americans living with incompletely treated Lyme disease. Anne was one of these and, like so many others, saw many competent physicians for her complaints without the correct diagnosis being made.

I for one am a big Blumenthal fan. Let's hope his bill succeeds - laws are more important than ignorant, biased editorial writers.

Posts: 17 | From CT | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fuel1212
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fuel1212     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Written to Senator Blumenthal

Dear Senator Blumenthal,

I know you are a busy man, so I will keep this short and sweet.

Please keep fighting for all of us sick with Lyme. There are hundreds of new visitors to the forums I participate in.

There are also many individuals that have been cured and are symptom free using long term antibiotics.

I don't know what is going on behind the scenes of this anti movement, but it is not good and we need to keep fighting and make this common knowledge.

In summary, on behalf of the many forums I belong to and all the families trying to get healthy in a system that never had the peoples best interest, you are a breath of fresh air sir.

Please keep fighting for us!

--------------------
IgM- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgM- 41+

IgG- 31,34,39,83-93 IND
IgG- 41++

Posts: 610 | From Lymeville | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is great that you took the timet to write this Fuel.

I sometimes cannot believe this is my life with Lyme in 2011. It shouldn't be this way!

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement