LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why are my teeth staining brown?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why are my teeth staining brown?
Catgirl
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My teeth are stained brown in between each other. Also, behind (the back side of my front bottom teeth). It looks like I've been drinking tea 24/7. Is it from antibiotics? It is a biofilm problem?

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its either antibiotics or from the infections. I have this really bad, I just got a dental cleaning and the hygienist asked if I'd been swishing with tea! Good news...it comes off but it seems to come back pretty quick.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have this. Mine is caused by doxycycline. What antibiotic are you on?

Oil pulling is really helping to keep my teeth white. I can still see the brown spots in between the teeth, but they are much lighter and smaller now. I highly recommend oil-pulling on a daily basis.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Catgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on meph, zyth, amox and nystatin.

--------------------
--Keep an open mind about everything. Also, remember to visit ACTIVISM (we can change things together).

Posts: 5418 | From earth | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

James, can I do oil pulling if I have crowns?

--------------------

James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mindy - good question. I don't know the answer, but I googled it and this is what I found on earthcures:

WILL THE CROWNS FALL OFF MY TEETH?
08/29/2007: Ruthie from Pensacola, Florida writes: "I read that metal filling may possibly fall out. Does anyone know about metal crowns? I have one and would like to try oil pulling for several ailments, but do not want my crown to come out. Help!"

The response:
12/27/2007: Hollis from Hilo, Hawaii replies: "I have crowns on many molars and have been oil pulling for 14 months, every morning with sunflower oil. Sofar I have had no problems with my crowns or other dental work. My health/life has improved in so many ways due to oil pulling."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dogmom2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dogmom2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the staining on my teeth from zithromax so I stopped taking it. They eventually went away.
Posts: 857 | From northern california | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vit C helps prevent this
A good dental cleaning will eradicate it too

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lauralyme, how much vit C per day? I just had my teeth cleaned in May (had stains then too).

--------------------

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as you can tolerate (to bowel tolerance)

The powdered Vit C is great mixed in water but tastes awful ( stevia added helps some) but it was trashing the enamel on my teeth.

If I remember correctly the brown teeth staining went away at the same time I was doing Vit C IV's

I was taking Minocylcine at the time

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxycycline did it to my teeth, but it goes away when the dental hygenist cleans your teeth.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here, same exact locations. I assume Doxy was the culprit.

For myself, it was a little embarrassing when I went to get my teeth cleaned... it sort of looked like I was eating mud, or hadn't brushed my teeth in months, due to the brown stains between my teeth. Plus side is, they really aren't visible to anyone else as they are between the teeth, and they go away after a dental cleaning.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin turned my teeth into a mess. It cleaned off at the hygenist's visit but she was working hard for over an hour.

Use whitening toothpaste and mouthwash. A waterpik helps too.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rera2528
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 29886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rera2528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for this thread! This has been making me crazy! I am on mino (among others), so I am assuming that is it. I'm not scheduled for a cleaning until October, so I think I will try to get in early.
Posts: 447 | From Vermont | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

Lauralyme, was the powdered vit C trashing the enamel on your teeth or was it the stevia?

--------------------

Kat1777
Member # 39231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kat1777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so I'm taking a break from my AB treatment and I discover that between a few of my bottom teeth I have some discoloration. I start probing and a see that the front bottom teeth are completely brown in the back!! This is devastating! I have always taken great pride in my smile. I was on doxy and or minocycline for a year. I assume this is the reason. Is this permanent?! It is very dark! It does not look like a dental cleaning will take care of it. No one warned me of this side effect and had I known, I would have refused. I did not get better enough to suffer permanent damage to my teeth. HELP!
Posts: 90 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a dentist can get rid of it. I got staining on my back molars twice, from both Doxy and Mino,

my dentist was able to 'sandblast' it all right off.
I also take pride in my teeth :-)
Go to the dentist.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat1777
Member # 39231

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kat1777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Surprise. I hate to have to explain this whole thing to a dentist, but I am scared it's going to be permanent. Will make an appointment with one soon!
Posts: 90 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
droid1226
Member # 34930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for droid1226     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 teeth cleanings couldn't eradicate this for me. Finally, I just put juice from a lemon on my teeth for a while. It worked amazing, but is terrible for your teeth.

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/droid1226/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Posts: 1181 | From ohio | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that using coconut oil mixed with a little baking soda is a good toothpaste and tooth whitening agent. I have only tried this a few times and my mouth and teeth felt good after.

Not sure how much it will whiten the teeth but it seems like it is worth a try. The ABX are horrible on your teeth. Good luck!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kat1777
Member # 39231

So now some of you are telling me this may be permanent?! I'm angry that no one told me about this potential side effect before I began treatment. I was only on them for one year. I know a lot of people who treat for years and years. Why am I having such a bad issue like this?
surprise
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please talk to your dentist. Mine were VERY dark stained on both sides of back molars, twice it happened, from Doxy, year later, Mino.

A good dentist can get it off. There are new tools now- high pressure blast type thing. My teeth were/ are fixed.

Don't panic until you go to the dentist.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catgirl
Member # 31149

I forgot about this thread (old). Oil pulling also helps to get rid of it.

--------------------

RedRoses
Member # 42865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedRoses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just going to start a thread asking if anyone else has had brown spots showing up on their teeth after beginning treatments for lyme and co.....and here was this one already here!

Does anyone know if it is result of detoxing? I've read that sometimes people get brown spots on their teeth after starting the GAPS diet--so I was wondering what y'all thought about whether or not it is a result of detoxing? Or if those brown spots are different from the ones that come from being on antibiotics?

I am not on antibiotics (just started Cowden protocol), but I have recently noticed that my teeth now have several brown spots on them (right in the front--and almost symmetrical!) that haven't been there before...and I remembered that I have had this happen before.... But I had forgotten about it and I hadn't noticed any since my last cleaning (in December). If the oil pulling helps, I might consider that...my vanity tells me that it's bad enough that my hair has gotten so very thin....

I also have an interesting thought on the subject from my dentist. I have dark brown stains on the tops of my molars--and have had them for as long as I've had my adult molars. He has said that, by the position of those stains, he can tell that I had a great trauma, like a really bad fever, when I was between 3-5 years old. But my mother assures me that I never even had a cold or flu until I was 6 or 7 years old....

And it was when I was 6 that I got the EM rash all over my forehead (in Germany, back when they "didn't have lyme" there--and lost my paperwork). I have heard that you don't get the EM rash the first time you're injected with the lyme...so, if that is true, I wonder if that trauma my teeth shows wasn't the first time I was bitten and got lyme...in North Carolina....

I told this to my dentist and he said that it is really quite likely that that might be the explanation.

He also said I was "one of those special people" who had lyme.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 6 | From Flyover Country | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think lots of herbal tinctures also make your teeth browner than usual.
Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dentist said he sees it on many who are on long term ABX.

It does come out with teeth cleaning. Mine is because of Doxy.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good hygenist can get most of this off.

Mine said to me, "Do you drink lots of coffee, or red wine. Or both? Your teeth are very stained."

But she worked a miracle and they were whiter for a while. Now back to brown-ish.

Brown teeth are the least of my worries currently, but I can understand how if someone was finally well and feeling good, how annoying the brown teeth would be!

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocean water or other mineral supplements should help. This has happened to some children on the CD protocol because it's such a huge detox...and it pulls the minerals from the teeth. It went away when they added more ocean water.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement