LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody have "straight lyme"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody have "straight lyme"?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i remember my llmd in denton telling me after testing that i had "straight lyme" which was strange. he said the testing indicated no co-infections.

anybody else ever told that??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beth22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appear to have no co-infections. I know it's rare. I have not been tested because I have no symptoms to indicate the co's, but I thought the tests were inaccurate.
Posts: 236 | From Zionsville IN | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No my lyme came out of the closet a few years back. j/k

I don't believe there are any true answers as to LD with/without co-infections or not. Perhaps some get the positive co-infections test.

I think that the sicker you are the more likely co-infections and it's better to treat everything with or without positive tests.

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James1979
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about this, but I think the co-infections are less common in the mid-central US.

Everybody knows that they're extremely common on the East coast (and probably the West, but I don't remember).

Also there seems to be a lack of studies in the midwest concerning the coinfections.

I'm in the midwest and I don't seem to have any coinfections. I'm talking about symptoms, not lab tests. I never got the co lab tests, but they're highly inaccurate anyway.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also told I had none of the typical coinfections (babesia, bart, myco), but only have EBV, CMV and coxachi B...only..ok, whatever.

But, I have lots of symptoms of babesia, and a few bart symptoms. My llmd wouldn't even discuss those because the labs didn't show them. He said my dizziness, headaches and everything else I have is from EBV. Not sure I can buy all that.

Who knows what all we truly have that they don't even have tests for at this point..

It's really frustrating, as I thought once I had my + WB then I'd be treated and be well, or at least much better...well, that was 8 years ago..

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My testing for coinfections was negative, but I was clinically diagnosed with them based on symptoms and response to treatment of them.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James1979:
I'm not sure about this, but I think the co-infections are less common in the mid-central US.

Everybody knows that they're extremely common on the East coast (and probably the West, but I don't remember).

Also there seems to be a lack of studies in the midwest concerning the coinfections.

I'm in the midwest and I don't seem to have any coinfections. I'm talking about symptoms, not lab tests. I never got the co lab tests, but they're highly inaccurate anyway.

-
I think you are right, James. There is definitely less bartonella in the Midwest according to what I see here on this board.

I did manage to pick up Lyme and babesia in Texas myself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that there are a few 'flavors' of Lyme, and some of that depends on where you were infected, and more importantly, when. I was infected as a child or in-utero in the mid 1950's. this would have been the first created version after WWII. Yes, some form of Lyme has always existed (related to another thread) but it was modified later. Since then, they have modified and altered and added co-infections and those that get infected now are in much worse shape than those of us infected in the 50's and 60's. In fact, my symptoms as a child and young adult were easily passed off as growing pains and sensitivities until I got re-infected in 1974, and then all hell broke loose, especially after a traumatic event in my 30's. I am now 55 and in better shape than I ever was in my 30's due to diet and treatments I have received over the years.
I have heard that there are three main 'types' of Lyme and they depend on when and where you got it.

Posts: 116 | From Bisbee, AZ USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme (borrelia) is simply the gatekeeper that brings the immune system down so other opportunistic infections can surface.

Infections the immune system had been harboring and/or keeping at bay for years. (not just talking bart/babs here - which tend to come with the tic bite)

Something like 90% of the population carries the EBV strain, has parasites, yeast (100% have yeast), etc

These things all of a sudden must be attended to

[ 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just Lyme, from a West coast strain in 1981.

I have dialogued with mycoplasma expert Dr Garth Nicolson, and he wonders whether Lyme was mixed with mycoplasma, which would mean another infection in the mix.

To answer James' question, yes, there are definitely co-infections here on the West coast. People are as likely to get them as Lyme.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Straight borella" is funny. It sounds like it should be followed by "on the rocks" as opposed to the "cocktails" most of us are infectd with.

I thought I only had borellia. Then it was borellia and bartonella. Finally babesia and ehrlichia.

One of the most well respected LLMD's said he has NEVER seen a patient without co-infections.

Treatment becomes more complicated when you have co-infections so most of us with chronic lyme know we are fighting multiple pathogens. It is better to err on the side of caution than to ignore the likelihood that you have more than one infection.

Often symptoms overlap so it is hard to tell one infection from another. Often the pathogens go underground so your symptoms are mild. I had no idea I had babesia. I thought I was hyperventilating and going through late menopause!

Tests are not reliable. I tested negative for bartonella but my symptoms were classic, and I responded to treatment.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackie51
Member # 14233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackie51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had lyme and strep. A past infection with mycoplasma but not current co-infections.
Posts: 1374 | From Crazy Town | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickbiter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickbiter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am really hoping i have just lyme, i tested negative from an igenex coinfection panel for pretty much everything. I was relieved at first but now i am wondering how reliable the tests are since there are LOTS of strains of bartonella and multiple babesia...does anybody know how reliable igenex is in this regard?
Posts: 113 | From south dakota | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see some Texans are replying to this thread so I will jump in. Mid-central US? Texas is in that realm? How many cases of Bart in Texas?

Igenex testing - I dunno. My last test showed IGG 40 with reference range 40-160. So I guess I am in range. ??

Of course there has to be something cryptic on the page showing the results ie "IGM and IGG antibody levels decrease over time" or words to that effect. That is real helpful.

So maybe if I had tested 5 years ago my levels would have been higher and screaming Bartonella -instead of being right on the "maybe yes maybe no" line? Anyone else pondered this?

Seems I read something years ago about EBV tests - where levels can "fall to undetectable". Even if the virus is still present and active? I don't get it.

I know the Dx's are clinical - but people still test - and the results can be confusing. Are people testing neg or borderline because their levels have "fallen" - as antibody levels are said to do?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ktkdommer
Member # 29020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ktkdommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught bartonella and babesia with Lyme in Wisconsin 30 years ago and passed both coinfections on to my kids.

--------------------
Things are never dull. After 3 fighting Lyme, 2 are in remission. Youngest is still sick, age 22. He has new diagnosed Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.

Posts: 1366 | From Perrysburg, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't test positive for any coinfections, but clinically am diagnosed with Bartonella. I also believe I have (or have had at one time) Anaplasma. I test negative for EBV, HHV, and CMV much to the shock of the doctor who ordered the tests, and I am quite sure I don't have these viruses as a primary issue at this time.

About yeast: Yes, everyone has yeast in their gut - it is one of the organisms that's supposed to be there. It is only a problem when the yeast is out of balance compared to the other organisms that are supposed to be there also.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
susank,

As far as EBV goes, my tests vary. Doc has it tested at least once per year, every 6 mo. if it is really active.

My levels can show only past inf. sometimes, even when I feel symptomatic and liver is swollen. OR, they can be really high, active infection. I may or may not think my symptoms warrant the tests. It hasn't made much sense to me at anytime.

My pcp, and another doc I consulted with said that I would always have both CMV and EBV, but that they wouldn't always be active. Stress, an immune response, or lots of things can activate it. One doc told me people with chronic EBV that keep on pushing themselves without proper rest and treatment can get lymphoma.

I know there are studies suggesting that, but I'm not so sure how accurate they are. I've also read that EBV and other viruses can cause neuropathy, which is the primary symptom I'm dealing with and have been for 8 years.

So, is lyme killing my nerves, or is it EBV, or CMV? I don't know, or have anyone that does know. My llmd didn't know, my pcp and local docs just say there is no treatment and I will get worse. SO, I travel to get someone to at least try.

I wish you the best of luck in your test interpretations. It is a difficult thing to get 2 docs that agree on test results or even tests that match..

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had co-infection tests multiple times, always negative and I don't have symptoms of them and I don't react to the meds for them. So, I don't know.

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement