LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » what do you take to sleep?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what do you take to sleep?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my doctor has increased my elavil to 20 mg but it gives me horrible nightmares and dry mouth. i just don't want to take it. plus i'm zonked out most of the next day.

what do you do to sleep?

if i don't take anything i get maybe 1-2 hours a night and stay exhausted but still don't sleep.

melatonin gives me such rapid heartbeats. is there anything else.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithful777
Member # 22872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faithful777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take lunesta 3 mg, 2.5 mg sublingual melatonin to get to sleep and 15 mg timed release melatonin.

Rozarem is a prescription drug that is supposed to work like melatonin. You might ask your doctor for samples to try it.

I can't take any of the antidepressants to help with sleep for the same reason. I am out all the next day. I do well with lunesta. Ambien made me into a zombie the next day too.

Still, sometimes pain wakes me up and there is no getting back to sleep.

--------------------
Faithful

Just sharing my experience, I am not a doctor.

Posts: 2682 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my gp is anti-everything including diflucan. he has flat out refused to give me some meds, even tho i was obviously sick.

all he says is "keep your mouth shut, you'll loose weight. exercise before you go to bed. stay up later. etc, etc., etc."

so talking to him would be like talking to that horse in the field. only right now i think that horse is smarter.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get herbal sleep meds at Whole Foods. No GP needed!

I tried Valerian Root but that made me very emoational.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
searching4truth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for searching4truth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD just gave me tryptophan to try. I have been on melatonin since october, and it worked well until I recently added rifampin to my treatment. Now the melatonin is ineffective. So we added tryptophan to the melatonin. I have only taken it one night, but I had no problems going to sleep. We will see how it works long term.
Posts: 427 | From Pacific Northwest | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you exercise before going to bed you WILL be awake all night. Exercise early in the day or at least before supper.

I take Ambien. I like it better than Lunesta because I can take 2/3 pill when I go to bed and 1/3 when I wake up at 3 a.m.!!

I also take Trazodone and melatonin.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bluemoon
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I'm on the 1/3-1/2 an ambien, then another when I wake up in the middle of the night. I can't seem to get any deep sleep otherwise.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
penguingirl
Member # 28688

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penguingirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started Rifampin last night and boy did it make me sooo sleepy. Enough that I did not need my usual melatonin drops for bedtime! And although I kept waking up to pee in the middle of the night, I would have no problem falling back asleep.

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1204 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's amazing, penguin!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twicebitten
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twicebitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ambien here, works for me. I don't always need it but when I do, it seems to work fine.

--------------------
One day at a time

Posts: 409 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was using corydallis root which worked extremely well for two years. You can get it in Zhang's Herbsom.

When I started treating babesia I had more trouble sleeping and needed a drug. The LLMD gave me seroquil. It was only 25 mg but taking half of one pill knocked me out so hard I was staggering the next morning and talking like a drunk.

So I cut it down to one quarter of a tablet. Now I am addicted to it. I do not know if it actually works or it is just an emotional crutch. I don't have side effects at this dose and I sleep so I am happy.

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scorpiogirl
Member # 31907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scorpiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was that way before I went on IV antibiotics and now I sleep like a babe! Before I would be up until 3am everynight! While I didn't have a problem falling asleep I just wouldn't STAY asleep, so I was waking up every hour getting 3-4 hours a night total.

Now I sleep for at least 10 hours. In fact, I was just telling DH that I feel like I'm wasting my day away, not getting up until 9! But then he reminded me that sleep is a huge part of healing plus I have been so sleep deprived for so many years, my body is just catching up. I guess I feel guilty sleeping so much!

Anyway, when I was struggling with sleep the one thing that helped me so much was acupuncture. I remember accusing the Dr of putting drugs on the needles b/c I would feel sooo sleepy after each session!! LOL

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1391 | From Lyme Land | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to take Ambien. It worked better for me than Lunesta. I don't take anything now, except my Xanax and my antidepressant. I do wake up at least once a night and I dream a lot; but its better than it use to be.

Like you, I use to only get 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night. It was horrible.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amk33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amk33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A natural sleep aid that works well for me is Prohealth's Fibrosleep. It helps me to fall asleep, and stay asleep.
Posts: 418 | From NJ | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mati
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on Doctors Best D-Ribose 5 days ago and there has been a significant improvement in sleep and dreaming. It has also boosted my energy levels. I love it!
Posts: 148 | From europe | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lmedler
Member # 32429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmedler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also take Ambien. It works most of the time but I have to take it every night or I will not sleep at all.
Posts: 53 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamers
Member # 28016

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jamers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about plain old benedryl? That usually knocks me out.

--------------------
Diagnosed Pos. Lyme Nov. 17, 2010, Igx.
Pos. Babesia Duncani March 2011, Igx.
Clinical diagnosis for Bartonella

Posts: 1127 | From North Carolina | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Progesterone helps me a lot with sleep, without the grogginess the next day - I use a product called Progessence Plus, it is absorbed better than anything else I've tried.

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Razzle... pills or cream?? I take the NOW brand cream and notice nothing when it comes to sleep. I can use it in the morning too... nothing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Razzle
Member # 30398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither - it is a vegetable oil base liquid applied in drops topically. I use 2 drops topically in the evening, about an hour or so before bed.

The product was developed by a doctor. I heard a lecture given by this doctor earlier this year and was quite impressed. He believes many, many women have a hormone imbalance as one major contributing factor to health issues. He also says the size of the particles of the progesterone makes a difference with topical products, and finds that some of his patients actually have to use a sublingual form. But the Progessence Plus he developed has a lot smaller particles than most other topical progesterone products, and he says that helps it to be absorbed and used better by the body. I agree. I tried wild yam creams and had no luck with them. But this stuff makes a difference in how I feel. PM me for more info about the Progessence Plus if interested.

Take care,

--------------------
-Razzle
Lyme IgM IGeneX Pos. 18+++, 23-25+, 30++, 31+, 34++, 39 IND, 83-93 IND; IgG IGeneX Neg. 30+, 39 IND; Mayo/CDC Pos. IgM 23+, 39+; IgG Mayo/CDC Neg. band 41+; Bart. (clinical dx; Fry Labs neg. for all coinfections), sx >30 yrs.

Posts: 4166 | From WA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

hmm, imbalance. does a obgyn test for these at the annual checkup? or do you have to ask for it?

i'm on premarin.

--------------------

Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fortunate that 1/4 pill of melatonin works for me. I read somewhere that taking less was better in some aspect (can't remember why), so I tried it and had success.
Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ambien or restoril
Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
payne
Member # 26248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for payne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ambiem, 20 mins before the time I want to be asleep, but, if i wake up within the first 30mins of sleep i tend to be up for another hour trying to fall back to sleep, I try to use it every other night, once in 6 months i woke up vertigo bad..
it may raise liver emz ?
a coffee cup of mint ice cream in the heat helps me some...
wishing you a restfilled night..ZZZ ZZ Z (: [sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy] [sleepy]

--------------------
TULAREMIA/rabbit fever ?

Posts: 1931 | From mid-michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FYRECRACKER
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 28568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FYRECRACKER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cal-Mag (CALM) powder
Blissful Sleep (www.mapi.com)

I tried L-Tryptophan, didn't seem to work for me.

--------------------
www.mylymechronicle.wordpress.com

Posts: 885 | From US | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had severe fractionated sleep before I started LD treatment. My problem was not falling asleep, it was staying asleep. I would wake up about every hour during the night.

Even when I got back to 100% after 2 years of abx, I still had problems sleeping through the night. A sleep study showed I did not have sleep apnea (which I knew), but it also showed I was only getting about 4 hours of sleep and less than an hour of deep, restorative sleep.

I tried about every sleep med out there (Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerem, etc.), but they either had no effect or had the opposite effect. I tried natural remedies without much success, but I think magnesium helped somewhat.

There are only 2 sleep medications that I am aware of that promote deep sleep (what used to be called Stage 4 sleep), and they are Gabitril and Remeron.

I tried Remeron first, and it has worked well for me. I usually get 7 hours of restful sleep. Getting that deep, restorative sleep makes a big difference in your energy level and your body's recuperative ability.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vistaril or neurontin or benedryl

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razzle
Member # 30398

I've found that it is necessary to ask for hormone tests, and not all gyn's are willing (I saw one who was trying to tell me the blood tests for hormones were meaningless! I never went back to that doctor...). Lukily for me, my PCP is a Naturopath and so is more into this sort of thing...

--------------------
-Razzle

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement